The hype about 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, May 30, 2010.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

I'd rather have better 3G coverage than a lack-luster 4G coverage that will take years to fully deploy.

2. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

The proof is in your area and device

I will be test driving the EVO on 4G and new iPhone this June

May the best phone win

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Has Sprint got demo/display EVO phones in yet? I called my local store and they just hung up on me like they didn't even know what it was? And I called them this past week, so they should at least know about the phone by now.

4. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

My Sprint store told me no demos until launch day

Your mileage may vary

5. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Yea I don't really see the need for 4G quite yet. Being on the 3GS and when I'm getting great 3G speeds it's more than adequate for what I need. Really the biggest complaint I have is the latency when the network is congested.

6. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Eh, if they didn't start now, when would they? Give Clearwire another year or and we'll probably be seeing 4G coverage as complete as AT&T's current 3G network, only a hell of a lot faster. It's worth mentioning that the current WiMax speeds are only a taste of what the technology should ultimately be capable of.

Both Sprint and Verizon have very complete 3G coverage, even in rural areas (where AT&T will put you on EDGE), and pushed EVDO as far as it can go, and as stated in the article it is only natural for them to start pimping 4G now.

7. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

The thing that bugs me the most is how 4G sounds like it's just going to be a marketing term to make people think it's SOOO much better than 3G. Kinda like Windows 7 since the actual OS is 6.1, which means it's a "fixed" Vista.

The best thing carriers can do for customers is give theoretical top speeds and then list some median or average speeds for certain areas. Now it does sound like 4G's guts are going to make it work better for data, but I don't think most of us will get HUGE speed boosts. Hopefully it will allow denser coverage than 3G so we don't have situations like NY and SF going on in the future.

8. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I don't know where you are located, but here in Portland I will say that Clear's max download speed of 6mbps isn't unrealistic. We have a 4G USB modem at work and it is much faster than tethering my cell phone over 3G, just browsing the web is much more pleasant and on par with what you would expect from a WiFi connection.

I will let you know on the 4th how it performs on a cell phone, but I do expect it to be very noticeable for me.