The "i am STILL waiting for a 13" Arrandale :S

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FnuGk, Apr 14, 2010.

  1. FnuGk macrumors regular

    Aug 6, 2009
    well as the The unofficial "I'm Waiting for Arrandale" thread... part i7 just got closed even though the 13" mbp is still mising the arrandale chip.

    So i will start asking do we have to wait for sandy bridge to get a real 13" mbp?


    could apple just have pushed the current 13" out temporarily untill wwdc in june or maybe later thise year.

    Have your say

    and yes i KNOW the topic is cliched but i dont want anything bigger than 13" so the 15incher is not an option.
  2. Chromide macrumors newbie

    Oct 15, 2008
    personally I think they should have put the i3 into the 13in.... However since they did not I will be picking up the low end 15in probably sometime in June. So while my first mac will be delayed a bit because of price I think it will be better for me in the long run then if I went ahead and got the 13in as soon as I could.
  3. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

    Oct 28, 2007
    I have no interest in a 13 but you have a point. The thing that perplexes me?

    Apple touts a 50% performance increase on the mpbs getting arrandale. Woot. Exciting. Impressive. i must buy one.

    But on the 13 inch jobs emails someone saying it's only a 10% speed increase so it doesn't matter anyway.

    That's the thing about Apple, if you are a huge fanboy you pretty much have to be content with being lied to.
  4. FnuGk thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 6, 2009
    there is not reason to give it i3 instead of i5 as both chips has the same tdp.

    i guess apple did as they did because of nVidia not beeing allowed to make a chipset supporting the core ix. Therefor they gave the 15 and 17 inch machines intel chipsets using intels igp and a nVidia discrete card while the 13 was left with a nVidia chipsets that only supports the c2d.
  5. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

    Jan 27, 2008
    Can someone answer something for me? Leaving all other considerations aside, how much worse is the current 13" C2D than the i3 (or5?) that people were expecting? Are we talking about a few percentage points here or would the difference have been huge?
  6. oHai macrumors member

    Apr 1, 2010
    I was waiting for Arrandale because I wanted a 13" but wasn't in a rush. To me, the size/portability is much more important than what's inside, and the new 13" will more than meet my needs.

    So I'll probably pick up a new 13" this week, but it was "fun" hanging out and waiting for the refresh :p Hope everyone's dreams are fulfilled sometime later this year!
  7. Heilage macrumors 68030


    May 1, 2009
    In keeping the C2D chipsets in the 13" they can push for GT320, which is the newer version of 9400M. Thing is, the logic board on the 13" is really small, and since Intel and nVidia are no longer BFF, they couldn't put i3/i5 in the 13" with GT320, they would have to go with GT330, which would cause quite a lot of heat. I think the reasoning behind it is TDP, although it's only my opinion.
  8. twitchtwice macrumors member

    Mar 19, 2010
    It is the 320M not the gt320m. Very different
  9. rumorholic macrumors newbie

    Mar 29, 2009
    Intel has not launched their i7-620LE processor, I'm hoping this is the reason the MBP 13" did not receive a similar update. I would really like to see Apple keep using 25 watts or less CPUs, otherwise it would seem like a step back from the C2D's currently offered.

    In the 13", other than the CPU I mentioned, it would have been nice to see Apple introduce USB 3.0; that would make the system a definite purchase (I'm so glad to hear audio over displayport is now enabled). I would like to see more real life feedback on these new systems, I'm not in any rush and will be waiting to see what happens when Intel stops making the C2D CPUs.

    Other features for me that would just put the 13" over the top would be bd-rom functionality in the superdrive, a eSATA port and maybe a resolution increase to 1440x900 (currently at 1280x800).

    In the 15" line Apple really needs to offer a 1920x1080 resolution, not this 1680x1050 nonsense. I cannot understand how Apple can push FCP stats and usage on a 15" when you have to shrink your video to fix the screen. Hopefully this is a quality & cost issue not something else.
  10. emailsfh macrumors member

    Apr 12, 2008
    still no anti-glare option? this leaves me wondering whether apple ever plans on extending that as an option in the 13", or whether they are just trying to push people to spend $100s more on a laptop they don't need in a size they don't want. i think the 13" is a totally different market, and i would PAY for an anti-glare screen. i just can't buy the glassy glossy action.
  11. Heilage macrumors 68030


    May 1, 2009
    My bad, just a typo there.
  12. FnuGk thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 6, 2009
    so could anyone have a say in if the overdue air or soon to come white macbook will have any effect on this topic?

    maybe at wwdc??
  13. zodqyv macrumors regular

    Mar 28, 2010
    I ordered the new 13" MacBook Pro along with an iPad. I will also be ordering an ordinary white MacBook as soon as they are updated (May?).

    There are three people in my family and we buy one 13" MacBook/MacBook Pro almost every time a new one comes out. That way all of our machines do not become outdated all at the same time.

    I love the old 13" MacBook Pro so I am sure I will love the new one even more. I could not care less when they move to Westmere (Arrandale), Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Rockwell, etc... I know it will happen in time and I will be buying those machines as they come out.

    In the mean time I am very happy with what I have and what I have on order.
  14. hackum macrumors regular

    Dec 1, 2009
    I think they might update the 13" and the Macbook sometime in summer or fall.
  15. roxygal9 macrumors regular


    Jan 28, 2010
    I have seen a few people say that this might happen. Could apple put in the ULV i5/i7 or an i3 with the current logic board configuration?

    What makes people think they will update the macbook pro 13 in, could we see it with an air refresh?
  16. FnuGk thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 6, 2009
    use ulv in order to use the 330 or what?
    because there would be no reason to use it with the 320 plus there is the same problem about nvidia not being allowed to make igp for the ix family

Share This Page