Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Just curious: what's the typing experience like on the 7.9-inch iPad? I've got a full size 3rd gen iPad right now and I've gotten used to "touch-typing" on it. I've been thinking about getting the new iPad Air, but part of me is curious about that smaller form factor after playing around with a first-gen iPad mini a few times in the past year. The only thing that worries me greatly is the smaller on-screen keyboard because I use my iPad to take notes in class. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

i have the mini since day one but did my first serious typing this week, transcribing one hour of interviews. it worked astonishingly well. i type with two fingers and in landscape. really worked like a charm - just like this post.
i have rather small hands and fingers, though.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
i have the mini since day one but did my first serious typing this week, transcribing one hour of interviews. it worked astonishingly well. i type with two fingers and in landscape. really worked like a charm - just like this post.
i have rather small hands and fingers, though.

I have large hands and the mini is a bit cramped for me. I frequently hit backspace instead of P because it's a bit tight. I don't know if that's enough to swing me from mini to Air, but I guess it just depends on how much typing you will do.

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Got the air yesterday. Can't wait to return it and get the mini. Sold my mini and wanted to try again full size but it's still heavy for me. Hopefully it comes out soon!!!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm sort of somewhat intrigued. What is the real use of a retina display on a iPad mini ? Seems a little of an overkill for a middle-ware solution-ware.

Can someone enlighten me ?

Reading. Anything with text is instantly better. Web browsing especially. On sites where you have small fonts zoomed out you can actually read them on retina.

So basically making small fonts actually readable.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Reading. Anything with text is instantly better. Web browsing especially. On sites where you have small fonts zoomed out you can actually read them on retina.

So basically making small fonts actually readable.

What i did is place my iphone 5 across a mini (phone landscape - ipad portrait) and compared the text of two books in goodreader. The difference in crispness is ridiculous IMO.

Can't wait! I agree with t-mobile's ceo and will definitely go cellular too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.