The "I Didn't Wait Like A Fool" Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ourmountain, Jul 6, 2014.

1. ourmountain macrumors regular

Did you buy the MacBook Pro you needed *when you needed it*?

Did you not buy into the hype of some future Intel chip that's delayed, or better yet, almost pretend because it's so far into the future?

To celebrate these wise purchases that don't obsess with future upgrades that will add a little performance in a year or two, this thread has been created.

So chime in with how much you're enjoying your current MacBook Pro instead of waiting like a fool for the model that's perpetually around the bend.

Personally, I picked up a rMBP 13" a few months back during the "OMG REFRESH AT WWDC" craze. The pie on the faces of those who claimed such is satisfying, but not quite as satisfying as using such an exceptional computer daily. I'm greatly enjoying it, and really impressed with the performance. I'm looking forward to getting several years of use out of it.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I always buy refurbs so I'm typically half a cycle behind anyway. My refurbished 2009 13" MBP is still kicking it with a few upgrades, although I gave it to my parents last summer. I've been waiting for the right time to buy but haven't needed a laptop for the past year or so. I'll buy the one that fits my needs when that time comes.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If there's a rumour about a new model, why not waiting if you don't need upgrading immediately? In Brazil, for example, a 15" rMBP (with discrete graphics) costs roughly USD 5000,00. It's a big amount of money to get the almost obsolete model. It's a really smart decision getting the newer model immediately after it comes to the stores.

I bought my early-2013 one at the launch of the late-2013 one. I was more interested on the discrete graphics and the screen (which proved not really as good as I expected). A brand new 15" rMBP with discrete graphics was sold for $5000, but I paid about $3200 for my "just obsolete" early-2013 one.

In short, I don't know how you think in the USA since everything looks inexpensive for us in Brazil, but here we must always think in terms of cost-benefit.

4. Kaidfather macrumors newbie

I bought my 13-inch late 2013 model back in mid April - I kept thinking about holding off but in the end decided to just bite the bullet and do it, haven't had a second thought since.

5. ourmountain thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough, but you're basing that on two important aspects - one, that you don't need a MBP immediately, and two, that a refresh is imminent. In those cases it's a tad different.

If you have need of a MBP today, waiting 6-12 months, or even more, is absurd.

I mean, there's a topic right now about waiting for a late 2015/early 2016 MBP just below this one.

6. AnonDP macrumors member

What is wrong with waiting for the late '15 MBP? If they are waiting they are not desperate for one; I doubt they are going without computer/laptop access for 18 months.
    You say your MBP is good for a few years so by going off your own opinion you are 'waiting for late 2017 MBP'.
    I am excited and cant wait for when I am in NEED for a new MBP. Hey, I guess I am one of those stupid ones 'waiting' for late 2015.

You're welcome

7. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I bought an 8GB 13" rMBP about 3 weeks ago, and sold my 11" MBA.

I didn't really need one. I just really wanted one. I didn't wait, and I'm happy. I'm pretty sure I'll still be happy when the next model is released.

I could have survived on the Air, but this screen, and this great performance is unbelievable.

8. Bri in Mtl macrumors member

There's certainly no regrets on my part for "waiting like a fool" a few months last Fall for the release of the current Pro model.

9. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I bought mine when I really needed it. Then again, the new models were released about 2 weeks before.

10. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I too just purchased a 13" rMBP 8gb model, refurbished. I generally rotate out my Macs every 3 years, my old Macbook Pro was in top shape and worked great but I could still could get a reasonable amount selling it, since it was just 2 1/2 years old. So a new Mac every 3 years or so doesn't cost too much. I'm very pleased with the refurbished model, first time buying a refurb. Great savings on an essentially new computer. Only showed 3 cycle counts on the battery. I will be purchasing them from now on.

I'd be waiting for quite a while for the next update rMBP in a refurbished model...

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I just buy what I need, when I need it.
    I certainly don`t care about being at the "bleeding edge" of the latest tech.

If people want to hang on for a refresh, then that`s up to them.

It`s no great surprise on a form called "MacRumors" that people will speculate about future models/updates and discuss whether or not to wait for them though.

I just bought a 13" rMBP to replace my mid 2010 15" MBP as it was what I needed, when I needed it.

12. Baytriple macrumors 6502

I bought my 2.6 1TB MbP 2 weeks ago. Although I would like to wait for the new one. I did need to replace it.

13. EstebanLGJ macrumors newbie

EstebanLGJ

I will not be waiting for a new refresh. I'm thinking of getting a 2012 15'' rMBP this week. I think it's a good time to buy considering prices of refurbished models. I don't really buy new models because of their prices and having the possibility of getting something better for the same price or cheaper. By what I've read, 2012 and 2013 models don't differ much, and I'm guessing the same will happen this year with the new models due this year or 2015. I thinkwaiting will have you paying more $$$$.

14. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

no regrets on my part here I got mine back in April after my 2011 one got stolen from the car :confused:

15. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

If someone has plenty of money and wants to be on the edge of the absolute newest tech, then there is nothing wrong with waiting. However, saying a 2012 or 2013 model Mac is obsolete is ridiculous. Technology is so far advanced that anything new coming out is nothing more than a slight spec bump. Once you have a machine with PCIe SSD for example, you aren't gaining that much by waiting. Buying second hand or refurb allows you to save some serious money on a still great machine.

I just purchased a Late 2013 rMBP. I love it. It's funny that it is the newest model available to date, yet some still consider it "obsolete" or close to it. Mac's are amazing machines. They last for a long time and as long as the machine meets the needs of the user, who cares if it is the latest release.

16. Kiju macrumors member

I've been with my current setup since 2010. I'd love to upgrade but I don't feel foolish waiting. Everything works, not like new, but it still works. I'll feel a lot more satisfied upgrading to broadwell or skylake than just jumping onto the first sale that comes my way.

I've never been one to purchase on a whim, and the longer I wait the better it feels when the day finally does come. :)

17. taelan28 macrumors regular

If you're playing the waiting game then chances are you don't need it and shouldnt buy it. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I as a man like shiny new ****, especially the electronic kind. I want a surface pro 3, but I wanna wait for a broadwell version. I want a new TV, an Xbox one and PS4 with that because... might as well and some bose speakers to enjoy listening to music at levels that will piss off the neighbors. However that stuff wont make me happy. I buy computers when I NEED them, like when the last one broke or when I need to spend 6 hours a day job hunting. I bought my RMBP when I needed it and my 11in samsung before that and I loved both computers so much, yea I looked at some others and wish I had a slightly newer design but I was pretty damn happy with what I had.

Conversely I bought a Surface 2... most expensive impulse buy ever. At first I didnt like it, then it grew on me and my RMPB was collecting dust. I've since done a reverse and the RMBP is so much faster and responsive that I just dont touch the surface anymore.

The moral of the story is if you're playing head games waiting for the next big thing chances are you wont be very happy and you certainly dont need it. Its cool to follow tech and be a fan of the stuff like I follow the game industry and the surface line, but technology has made me most happy when I need it... like I NEED THIS NOW OR ITS GOING TO CAUSE ME PROBLEMS IF I DONT BUY IT. That being said I do my research before I buy to make sure that the computer I buy is EXACTLY what I want. I dont want to see something a week or month later that was better and was out at the same time.

Even the most revolutionary products like the iphone werent needed at the time, it wasnt until the iphone 4 and Galaxy S2 that the tech and infrastructure was mature enough for it to go mainstream and thus more needed. Likewise you're just not going to need a broadwell chip.

----------

There's certainly that mental aspect at play. You buy something new and slick and you're all proud of it, then when something new comes out or is mentioned you get envious or the urge to drop some cash. Once you're machine is 2-3 years old you let that mentality go, or at least I do.

Honestly I wish I still had my Galaxy S2. My S4 is hella fast with the LTEA but I loved everything about the S2. I'd still have my 11in samsung notebook if it didnt break down, it worked quite fine with its low power core 2 duo, HDD, and Win7.

All this being said, it will be a fun day when I buy some new **** in 5 years.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was one of those people who waited and I'm glad I did.
    I was rocking on a 2010 13" MBP that was not suiting my needs, given the small screen.
    I needed a larger laptop, and while I could have just picked up a 15" laptop I waited until Ivy Bridge to be released in 2012. Boy am I glad I waiting.

I got a gorgeous screen, faster computer better GPU. Overall a much better computer had I opted to buy sooner then waiting for the newer chipset.

I agree with the sentiment that if you don't need it, then wait. These computers are so expensive, I'd rather wait a little longer if I can to get the most computer for my limited budget.

19. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

My refurb 2012 15" rMBP is still running strong (purchased June 2013). I saved $610 off a (at the time) brand new model, and then the Mavericks update doubled the vRAM on the HD4000 iGPU (which eliminated any Retina scrolling issues), as well as extending my battery life by at least 1 hr. (Yes, that model's image retention defect did raise it's ugly head, but Apple replaced my display for FREE under warranty last year, no problems since.)

Very happy camper! Apple Certified Refurbs are my friend!

20. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I just came here to congratulate myself on purchasing a computer that I am abundantly pleased with.

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

For sure, I am not waiting for the early 2015 upgrade. I will wait until the late 2016 upgrade. That way I will be all set.

Between now and then, I can use all the money I am saving to buy lots of paper pads, pens, and a 4 function calculator. Oh yea, I saw a good deal on a refurb DVD player and Sony walkman to hold me over.

22. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

lmaooo that sarcasm :p

23. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Well, it depends on what a rumored upgrade is likely to bring. I don't buy new tech every year, and I like to hold on to my things for quite a while, that said I want something which will stay current at least for a while. Hence, I usually try to wait. I bought my rMBP around mid-cycle, as I got it for a killer price, brand new from a reputable reseller as they were having a few grand-opening deals. Am I happy that I didn't wait? You bet. I paid a lot less than I would have had to pay for the 2014-model, which is just a 100mhz speed bump. Secondly, I got to enjoy the rMBP for a few extra months. :)

24. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Not only did I not wait, I bought used and got exactly what I wanted for half the cost of a new one.

25. Wishbrah macrumors regular

I bought a late 2013 15" w/750m a month after they came out. I went discrete so it would have a little more staying power (even tho most argue it's a dated chip).

I love it and will be happy to lug it around with me for the next 3-4 years. It's my first mac and I am really impressed by both the build quality and the OS. With the upcoming Yosemite changes, it will keep getting better and better.