The I don't need/can't afford but really really want one poll thread...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mvmanolov, Jan 4, 2014.

?

You don't need/can't afford a nMP but would you get one?

1. Yes, gimme, gimme, gimme....

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Foget B'out it...

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

So, let me say this loud and clear, i don't need a nMP, in fact even my current 2012 mini is a bit of overkill for my needs but darn me, i really want one of those gorgeous cans :D

i suppose if i were to sell my mini and my mbp i'd come close to the price of a base nMP....

Would you?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you cannot afford a nMP how would you buy one then :confused:

I don't need one, and I cannot afford one so I'll not be buying it. I'd love to own one, but I don't have that sort of money lying around the house

3. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I was really close to ordering one a while ago, but started to think about the very high pricetag. Sure, I'll use it for work, and I do need CPU performance and OpenCL now and then, and I play some games now and then. But Xeon multicores, ECC memory, D700's and such are just a bit overkill for what I do, and not really worth $9k or thereabout to me, even if I really like it a lot. I also run an iMac now, and I miss the option to have separate external monitors too.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a hackintosh build. Did some research, and I can get a good looking small case, a 3.5 GHz quadcore haswell cpu (easilly overclockable to 4.5:ish, and upgradeable to broadwell when it releases very cheap), fast SSD's in a raid setup, dual 280x in Crossfire (that would match d700's for gaming / openCL) and so on, and get it for a price that's around a third of a similar MBP. Also, I like tinkering and building stuff, so it could be a fun project :)

4. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

A lot of people are buying it decidedly more out of "want" than "need"--though the line is blurry. There are alternatives and if the nMP didn't exist, other solutions would still exist that are less optimal but still get the job done.

I'd argue many (most?) of the early adopters are buying out of hype/tech lust and love of the new style...clearly not a "need scenario"

Nothing wrong with that. I didn't need the added speed my gaming PC brought me over my 5,1 with a GTX670, it's neat to have though.

5. sidabet macrumors newbie

No I don't need a nMP but I would like a new hex core machine.

I admit my Mac Pro 5.1 Hex does everything I need and more for now. I will wait for a year and see how things pan out with the new hardware.