Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cswamp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Louisa KY
If anyone is playing at home my expected delivery date has been moved from tomorrow to Monday the 13th. My interpretation of the UPS notations is they had so much existing traffic piled up because of prior weather issues in Illinois they're now behind and have to catch up. I'll update my spreadsheet entry for whatever that's worth.

I'm playing at home. Thank you!

uzziel

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Just a FYI, got an eMail this morning that PowerMax (Authorized reseller) has some Mac Pro's in-Stock and ready to ship from Portland, Oregon.

Also, No tax!

I checked, and they had what I wanted in stock. I pondered dropping my Apple Store order, and now PowerMax says "call for availability."

I ordered a 6-core, 16GB, D500, 1TB from Apple at 12:42 PST. I've been waiting 2 1/2 years to buy the next generation MP - and my patience with Apple's snail's pace of movement with the "January" orders is souring my view of Apple. "January" is 1/3 over, and less than half a dozen CTO machines ordered within minutes of the store going live have even moved to "preparing for shipping."

Where are the 1-2 week etc. estimates that Apple places on all the other junk I buy from them on day one of availability?

iizmoo

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2014
The first 15% is being tagged for shipping, that's actually not bad. Probably quite a bit of business orders (and multiple units) that got placed in the queue when they opened up business pricing before the general public (most of us) got to order.

Anyone know what's up with the March dude on the spreadsheet? Even Apple Store Online don't say March shipping...

Jasper111

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
No notices on the spreadsheet today

I see no one got a notice today. I would bet my nMP pro that most of us January babies get a notice next week but I'm afraid it will never arrive to pay off my debt.

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
I exported the sheet and did some sorting in Excel.

From the limited amount of info, it looks like Apple might have just grouped every possible configuration together and are building them out that way. Orders with the exact same configuration shipping in "January" have shipped. If thats the case they are probably building them based on the number of orders. There are a few exceptions which might be due to entry error.

Thats what I'm seeing, anyway. It would explain why some orders placed later in the morning have been processed whereas many have not.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I checked, and they had what I wanted in stock. I pondered dropping my Apple Store order, and now PowerMax says "call for availability."

They usually do that when they have LIMITED stock. (I guess to prevent the website from overselling? not sure)

but every time i've ordered from them, I would call to make sure the item in in-stock, and not shipping from a 3rd party warehouse.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
… Meanwhile I'm still checking the google doc and my order status way more often then I'd like to admit.. :D

Me too. My productivity has gone through the floor. Every time I get an email I eagerly look to see if it's a dispatch note from Apple.

It's pathetic and I seriously need to get a grip. :rolleyes:

woodhouse

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
I'm not sure there's any rhyme or reason. The theory that Apple is grouping by configuration may carry some weight. I ordered mine through the business team at my local Apple store here in Ann Arbor. For some reason there was a system glitch, so I didn't get my "Order Acknowledgement" email until the next day (the 20th), but my order says "December 19th, 2013", and it was in the area of 2PM EST. My status says "Available February". But I think this pretty much lays to rest the theory that Apple ships business orders first.

I ordered a 6-core, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, and the D700s.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
My very unscientific impression, based on a cursory look at a very limited dataset, is the D700 could be linked to custom orders taking longer. Who really knows (outside of Apple)?

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
My very unscientific impression, based on a cursory look at a very limited dataset, is the D700 could be linked to custom orders taking longer. Who really knows (outside of Apple)?

Well, 4 orders with the D700 have already shipped. What I did was (in excel, not the google doc of course) sort the US store orders by cpu, memory, storage, graphics. I then noticed that of those that shipped, if there were multiple orders for the same exact config (all 4 options exactly the same), with a ship date of "January", then in those cases they all shipped.

Of course, there's very little shipping data in the sheet so its also not very scientific. There's also a couple entries where that doesn't appear to hold true (ie one order shipped and two others of the same config didn't… though that could just be data entry error or those who entered it didn't follow up).

But yeah, outside of Apple, no one really knows.. but it sort of makes sense where they may be building different configurations each day as not to mix up orders… "Today we're assembling orders with the 8c, 64gb, 1tb, D700", then no one really has to think, they just have the components for those orders on hand and just put the machines together.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
...it sort of makes sense where they may be building different configurations each day as not to mix up orders… "Today we're assembling orders with the 8c, 64gb, 1tb, D700", then no one really has to think, they just have the components for those orders on hand and just put the machines together.

Yeah. I know next to nothing about assembly line management but it makes intuitive sense to me that they'd want to make a string of identical units in one go for efficiency. Potential low supplies of a specific component could also swap around what configs would be run through at what time.

Speculation is fun. :cool:

analog guy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009

was it a stock config you were going to switch to, or did they actually have 'limited availability' on the same 6c/d5/16gb/1tb config you ordered?

Scissors

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
London, UK
If anyone is playing at home my expected delivery date has been moved from tomorrow to Monday the 13th. My interpretation of the UPS notations is they had so much existing traffic piled up because of prior weather issues in Illinois they're now behind and have to catch up. I'll update my spreadsheet entry for whatever that's worth.

I'm also playing at home :)

Any update on the timing of your delivery?

:eek:

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
I'm also playing at home :)

Any update on the timing of your delivery?

It was stalled in Hodgkins, IL (apparently a suburb of Chicago) for over 24 hours while they sorted out their weather issues. It left there around 7:30 yesterday evening and that's the last data point I have apart from a scheduled Monday delivery by "end of day."

Looking at the map, the run from that UPS station to my nearest one is just under 12 hours straight through. Since the route goes through Cleveland, Buffalo and Rochester I expect some undocumented layovers before it gets to the final depot near Utica. If it makes it by tonight I'm going to try calling and having them hold it for me to pick up tomorrow but I'm not counting on that.

ETA: and yes, I should be working on a current 3D modeling gig instead of plotting UPS depots. I'm a bad boy. :p

Vic-Viper

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
Processing Items Available to ship: January
Refresh
Refresh
Refresh

even in my sleep

My workstation is missing a key component

BdoaitaCUAAd_J9.jpg

uzziel

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
was it a stock config you were going to switch to, or did they actually have 'limited availability' on the same 6c/d5/16gb/1tb config you ordered?

They had 6-core, D500, 16GB, 1TB in "limited quantity" - then later, "call."

Scissors

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
London, UK
As the spreadsheet has grown so much, I'm thinking to set up tabs for each of the US, Canada, Europe and Asia Pacific and to move the stock orders to the relevant region. That way we will be able to sort the data without being concerned about it cutting through the headings. What does everyone think?

I've already moved the chat (previously at the end of the sheet) to its own tab.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...bXQ2Q3BwbXc2S2NhWUVzVlAxUEE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Last edited:

cswamp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Louisa KY
I'm starting to think i might see yellow by the Mac Pro in the buyer's guide before i see Preparing for Shipment!!!!! :mad:

uzziel

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
As the spreadsheet has grown so much, I'm thinking to set up tabs for each of the US, Canada, Europe and Asia Pacific and to move the stock orders to the relevant region. That way we will be able to sort the data without being concerned about it cutting through the headings. What does everyone think?

Save yourself the sorting aggravation - put it on different tabs. That way if someone sorts it, it does not break the categories.

Sheesh, almost no movement in 2 days. Could Apple be having yield issues, or the supply for certain parts is dried up. Not good Apple.

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010

uzziel

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
I ordered early on Dec 19 - and my order still says "Processing" and "Ships January." If I go to the Apple Store and create a CTO right now it says "Ships February. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will get a "Preparing for Shipping" message on January 31, which means I wasted nearly 6 weeks being optimistic about Apple's intentions when they said "Ships January."

I should have learned when they said the nMP would be available in "December" and it turned out to be December 30.

Like an addict, I am starting to hate my dealer - and I really hate the lack of information. That is uncool.

Vic-Viper

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I ordered early on Dec 19 - and my order still says "Processing" and "Ships January." If I go to the Apple Store and create a CTO right now it says "Ships February. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will get a "Preparing for Shipping" message on January 31, which means I wasted nearly 6 weeks being optimistic about Apple's intentions when they said "Ships January."

I should have learned when they said the nMP would be available in "December" and it turned out to be December 30.

Like an addict, I am starting to hate my dealer - and I really hate the lack of information. That is uncool.

Agreed. I hate dry information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.