Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Was Apple Pay UK a Success for You?

• Other-my financial institution doesn't support it yet!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Seeing as Apple Pay UK is almost ready to launch here next month (for select banks) I've created a thread to allow those of us here in the country to post our experiences of using the service.

Feel free to post your feedback (both positive and negative.)

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
A little off-topic, but I was just reading today about how Barclays Bank is promoting their bPay contactless service over Apple Pay in the UK. That seems really weird as Barclaycard provides the Apple Rewards Visa card here in the US.

I don't expect Apple Pay will enjoy quite the media frenzy in the UK as it did in the US. It will be nice for iPhone 6/6+/Apple Watch users to finally be able to take advantage of the built-in hardware in their devices though.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Looking forward to using Apple Pay, just wish my main bank (Lloyds) was one of the first. However I do have a Nationwide account which I'm going to test. Also still a little miffed about the whole £20 contactless limit. Apple Pay is more secure that contactless cards as your finger print is needed to authorise the payment.

I want be able to leave my wallet at home. The retailers really do need to lift the limit.

I'm really not sure what Barclay's are up too. If they think people are going to use their bPay service they are going to be highly disappointed. The first gen service was rubbish and this new one doesn't look much better. I mean who wants to wear a band or put a sticker on their expensive phone.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
I am quite sure the contactless cards payments limit does not apply to Apple Pay, but we will see in about 48 hours.

Last edited:

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Looking forward to using Apple Pay, just wish my main bank (Lloyds) was one of the first. However I do have a Nationwide account which I'm going to test. Also still a little miffed about the whole £20 contactless limit. Apple Pay is more secure that contactless cards as your finger print is needed to authorise the payment.

I want be able to leave my wallet at home. The retailers really do need to lift the limit.

I'm really not sure what Barclay's are up too. If they think people are going to use their bPay service they are going to be highly disappointed. The first gen service was rubbish and this new one doesn't look much better. I mean who wants to wear a band or put a sticker on their expensive phone.

It's going up to £30

It will be raised in the future but it will be a very big target for fraud.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
A little off-topic, but I was just reading today about how Barclays Bank is promoting their bPay contactless service over Apple Pay in the UK. That seems really weird as Barclaycard provides the Apple Rewards Visa card here in the US.

I don't expect Apple Pay will enjoy quite the media frenzy in the UK as it did in the US. It will be nice for iPhone 6/6+/Apple Watch users to finally be able to take advantage of the built-in hardware in their devices though.

I trialled the bPay Band last year when it was free of charge; I never got around to using it because I couldn't load the device with my Lloyds Bank American Express.

Qualifying Barclaycard customers can order a PayTag to stick on their phone cases so that's probably one of the reasons they aren't supporting Apple Pay right now. I've also got a strong feeling they'll partner with Android Pay when that feature launches with Android M.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===

As posted above the limit is being raised in September to £30; later on in the year Boots the Chemist will be limitless when it comes to Apple Pay.

Anyone who has configured their POS terminals can over-ride the £20 limit but given Flunkyturtle raises the issue of card fraud I'd guess those who aren't Apple Pay's initial partners will probably stick to the industry 'limit.'

However I am looking forward to trying it out on my iPhone; I'm hoping July 1st will be the official launch date. If that's the case I might just have to visit Marks and Spencer (for something random) where I work and see if it works.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I am quite sure the contactless cards payments limit applies to Apple Pay, but we will see in about 48 hours.
It's because some hardware is hard coded for that limit and can't be updated. Newer terminals can be changed via an update. Not apples or the banks fault in this instance.

Last edited:

tomaustin44

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
Has there been any official confirmation that we will definitely see Apple Pay in the next few days? Obviously the capability will come with iOS 8.4 but perhaps we won't see the service switched on until later this month??

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
Has there been any official confirmation that we will definitely see Apple Pay in the next few days? Obviously the capability will come with iOS 8.4 but perhaps we won't see the service switched on until later this month??

All the information point to 1st of July.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.