The "I like my new 13"rMBP" thread ....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Oct 27, 2012.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Lots here complaining about spec's and price ...

Anyone actually buy one and like it?

Or, are people who bought 13" rMBP's and like them reluctant to post about it knowing they'll get slammed here for paying the so-called high price for poor spec's?

2. Maczor macrumors regular

I'll let you know once I finally receive it...
    8th - 12th November...

3. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

same here.. wait is killing me.. :mad:

why they didn't make the higher processor speed part of the second base model is beyond me?!

4. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I played with one in the apple store yesterday, and I thought it was plenty responsive and fast. I'm gonna order one.

5. scarred macrumors 6502a

I should be excited for the ms build conference this week, but all I can think of is getting through the week so I can get home and open up the rmbp 13 that will be waiting for me.

I'm glad there are people out there that like it. All the negativity had been getting me down.

6. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

It was inevitable that b!tching would occur after they announced the price, but I'm prepared to pay the premium for it since it ticks all the boxes of what I want/need. For the last few months I was trying to find alternatives since my 5 year old macbook is dying a slow death.. and the closest thing was the Sony Vaio Z which is 4k here in Australia. The price of the Macbook seemed very reasonable compared to that...

7. Maczor macrumors regular

4k in Australia? Which model? Maxed out?
    Something doesn't sound right there...
    I payed 4k for the 13" rMBP, but yes, it's maxed out...
    Sony shouldn't cost that much... or rMBP should cost the same / a bit more.

8. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Hey. I have been waiting for the 13" rMBP for awhile and just bought one last night despite the sticker shock and criticisms here of which I contributed a bit.

For me, the base model 13" made sense and with the corporate discount I received on it, the price was justifiable for this beautiful Retina display and compact design. 128GB is a little low, but I have a Time Capsule I can drag and drop stuff on as needed. There are compromises with every Apple product for sure.

So far, I love it and am waiting for an update to the Thunderbolt Display to pair with this bad boy. I am coming from a 27" iMac so rMBP + TB Display is my dream setup:D

9. ZacT94 macrumors regular

It has i7 2.1GHz quad core, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Everything here in Australia is way overpriced compared to the US, even though our dollar is slightly stronger. I was considering ordering the Vaio Z myself back in July, from an overseas company due to the ridiculous pricing in Australia. I'm glad I went with the 15" rMBP though.

10. Maczor macrumors regular

Ah, ok... didn't know things are that weird over there.
    I'm in Switzerland and prices are quite Ok ( not US level of course, but Ok ).

11. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

"Pro" naming conventions aside, the fact is that the 13" rMBP is $500 less than the 15" and only a few hundred bucks more than a similarly spec'ed MBAir with half the resolution.

Apple isn't the first company to charge a premium for a new technology (look at the price of 1080p TV's when they first came out). Find me another 2560x1600 13" notebook for cheaper L-O-L:D:p

I think $1,699 for the specs, screen, design, plus a little bit of Apple tax is just about right and not out of the ordinary for Apple pricing.

Now, the high-end 13" vs the low end 15" starts to get a little muddy, but that's due to the high costs of SSD's. In the end, if you want a 13" rMBP, go get one while they're hot. Waiting for better specs means less time owning the latest and greatest. If you're always waiting for something better, you'll be waiting forever.

12. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Yeah, the base model with the EPP discount isn't a bad deal. About $1590 or something.

My current macbook pro at home has a 128GB SSD, and I still have 117GB free. Not worried about space.

First thing I'll do with the new one is disable the sleep image, which will free up 8GB of storage. :)

13. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Yup, EPP discount brought it to $1,597 and $212 for AppleCare. I was willing to pay the premium for this display (which is stunning btw). If people don't want to pay a premium for a Retina display, Apple is not forcing them to. Plenty of lower cost options available - cMBP, MBA, etc...funny how some people feel like Apple is forcing them to buy things:p

14. njean777 macrumors 6502

I was going to order it but after seeing the price and the hilarious specs to boot I will wait a while before ordering any retina machine. When flash is cheaper and doesn't cost an arm and a leg I may order one with 512gb storage.

15. Km133 macrumors member

I've had one since Thursday and I have to say I love it. Had to find some old files on my old Macbook (2006) earlier today and all I could see were pixels!

I try not to be a "fanboy", but the "stunning retina display" is nothing short of stunning. It's like no laptop/PC I've used before. Just beautiful.

I went for the base model and I'm hoping it'll be enough. Installed MS Office and a few statistics programs for work (which used to grind my old MacBook to a halt) and everything runs like clockwork.

Does it have IR problems? Probably. But until such times as it becomes an issue I'm not going to go searching for it!

Happy, happy, happy. Now to pay the darned thing off! :D

16. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

I was considering doing that as well, but the many people complaining about warranty issues and Sony's appalling customer service turned me away.

Also, not everything is way overpriced here. It used to be, but electronics, sich as TVs and computers are actually priced VERY fairly now, only some companies are still trying rip people off. Apple used to do it, but changed their ways and got it right now. Even though they charge around 5-10% extra it's nothing excessive.

Anyway, cmooon rMBP, the wait is just torture. Already ordered the bookarc and a few other small things in anticipation. :D

Who else went for the upgraded processor here? It just seemed a way better investment then getting a bigger SSD (I don't use that much space due to NAS storage).

17. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Got one today! Its awesome! I love the screen, already tough to go back to MBA. want any specific details?

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Wow. So SSD prices are forcing Apple to rob you now are they? (I don't think so). It's the retina display suppliers.

This early-bird-gets-the-worm approach didn't fare too well for the early rMBP15 adopters.

19. jas2quick macrumors newbie

jas2quick

Does that really free up 8GB of storage? If so, how do you go about doing that? My base model 13in rMBP should be coming in on Monday and with only 128gb of storage I'd very much like to free up any unneccesary usage..

20. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Is there much scroll lag or UI lag?

21. mfram macrumors 65816

Maybe there's a little lag, but I haven't compared it to another computer yet. When I played with the demo computer in the Apple store, Safari didn't have any noticeable scroll lag to me. There wasn't any lag going into or out of the Mission Control screen. And there wasn't a lot of lag going between desktops. But the Mail app had some lag maximizing and minimizing. Maybe that's just the Mail app or something.

22. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Waiting for an affordable SKU with 512GB of SS storage is a nice idea, but you'll wait a good while for that and then a year or so later a new model or design will come out and you'll be on these message boards itching to get the newer model. Buy now and enjoy having the new model for the longest amount of time (if you're into that sort of thing as many of us are here).

23. soulniz macrumors member

I bought one. Can't wait for it to arrive on the 31st October.

Yes, the price is quite high - too high if you ask me. However, the Retina display, the SSD, and the new design just blows my mind. It's amazing how far technology have gotten.

24. apparition47 macrumors newbie

Received mine yesterday in the mail. I love the size and the retina display is awesome.

It does have some UI lag and it is frame-y playing 4K video, but I am overall very pleased with it and how its been handling my daily tasks.

25. paronga macrumors member

paronga

I had a play of one in an apple store.
    With both retina resolution and native non-scaled i noticed no lag.

I know mail lags on my mac pro from time to time, so i'm thinking that mail needs a bit of software optimisation for smooth workings. But i saw nothing wrong with it.

I booted up logic at native res and it loaded the 42 track demo song. Not a single **** was given, ran perfectly.

Safari was butter smooth. Love that machine.
    I'll be waiting for the haswell chip next year though.