The i7 and the i5 in the retina 5k the same generation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lilijay, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Lilijay macrumors newbie

Sorry for the n00b question, but I haven't been able to work this one out on my own: are the i7 and the i5 in the retina 5k the same generation?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes

They are both Haswell parts. The i5 is a quadcore desktop part without hyperthreading, and the i7 is a quadcore Haswell part with Hyoperthreading. Depending on what you do this may well be extremely important or totally unimportant to you.

3. Lilijay thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I'm aware of the hyper-threading and that they are Haswell. I'm going to be doing mainly normal tasks (internet/iTunes/word) with a fair amount of hobby time on Photoshop and Ableton, and maybe some 3D work and video stuff for fun. I guess I'm confused about why people would say an i7 will last longer while if there are of the same time surely one won't become obsolete before the other ?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They assuming a lot

Basically they assuming that much more software will become core and thread aware. Meaning that as we go on there will be more and more software using more and more threads and the 8 threads on the i7 will be better for longer.

There is very little evidence to suport this however and it is usually GPU that is the bottleneck way before the CPU these days.

3D work and video stuff may use more threads depending on which apps you use but to be honest it sounds like it isn't going to make much difference to your use case.