The i7 Imac, when is it safe to buy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HyperX13, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

    Sep 3, 2009
    I really need an extra computer and was waiting for the i7. My local distributor (mac connection) has the 27 inch ones in stock. Are they safe to buy or should I wait for the flicker issue to be resolved? My rep said the models in stock have had all issues resolved and this is why it took mac connection so long to finally get them there. Anyone with insight?
  2. MH01 Suspended


    Feb 11, 2008
    I have had 2 i7s, one had horrific flickering and the other one was fine (though the CPU fan died). Having followed the threads, model build in the same week as my second i7 still had the flickering issue, so its kinda of a lottery to be honest. I would like to believe that most are fine.

    If you also look at the threads many people are complaining about a yellow tinge on the bottom of the screen, both of my had that. This seems to be ongoing.

    If you want to be safe, you may want to follow the threads until people stop reporting the flickering and yellow tinge issues, until then you can order and hope you are lucky. Mac Connection are lying if they are saying all models have been fixed now.
  3. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 3, 2009
    Well what they said is Apple had to change the ship date because of QC issues. They literally got a shipment of them last Thursday. I was just wondering if anyone heard that the issues were addressed. From looking at the threads, there is nothing definite. I guess I can just wait.
  4. crut macrumors regular

    Dec 26, 2009
    Certainly I placed an order on the 23rd Dec, 13 days ago and have yet to have any for of machine even close to shipping (27", i7, 8Gb, 2Tb) Whether that is due to QC or not, I am keen to see when I get a machine shipped. I will also be interested to see what week it is etc.
  5. MH01 Suspended


    Feb 11, 2008
    Apple have not acknowledged any of these issues yet publicly so I doubt they would have told mac connection that the delays were due to faults, more realistic would be that the delays were caused by demand (xmas), Apple fulfills its online orders before delivering stock to retailers.

    Only thing i would look into is mac connection's replacement process. I have no issues ordering through the Apple online store as I have 14 days to get a replacement or a refund, without this guarantee I would not be putting my money down on a imac right now.
  6. HyperX13 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Sep 3, 2009
    Mac Connection is phenomenal when it comes to refunds. I used to use CDW and ran into issues, etc. I had to return one Mac product, but like 6 HP products and let me tell you, HP does not do returns, only repairs. With Pc/Mac connection they take it all back.
  7. Bitwise macrumors member

    Jan 1, 2010
    Portland, OR
    That's what I was going to do (and should have done). The only reason I decided to buy one right now was because the rep at the Apple Store assured me that these issues are very rare and that if I received one of the yellow tinge iMacs then it would be highly unlikely that the second iMac would have the same issue.

    So far I have been through 4 iMacs all with that horrid yellow tinge to the display. This one is going back for good and I am going to wait until this all blows over.
  8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000


    Oct 29, 2009
    I guess its too late now, but...

    You know, you could save $500 by just installing an extra 4 gigs to the stock 4 gigs that comes with the iMac. Its only $100, and so simple to install a 5 year old could do it.

    And in the same vein of "cash savings" an external 2TB FW 800 drive is $250, same cost Apple charges for an internal one. Add the external 2TB + 1TB internal for a total of 3TB of space...

    Just a thought...

Share This Page