The ideal set up for me??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by confistimicated, May 7, 2010.

1. confistimicated macrumors newbie

I've got a bit of a predicament. I currently have a 2007 MacBook, and its starting to show its age, cracks all over the case, a DVD drive that won't eject without me levering the slot open and crossing my fingers in hope!

So it has come to the time that I need to upgrade.

What I would like in the perfect world would be a 27" iMac, an iPad, an AppleTV and a MacBook Pro 17". But like I said PERFECT world.

But realistically what I need should be much less. I need something highly portable as I spend a lot of my time travelling, I need something to act as a home media centre to go with my HDTV, but still be capable of all my writing, editing, casual gaming and ripping DVDs etc.

My initial thought was a Mac Mini hooked up to my HDTV, but there are times that I would want to be watching TV in the background whilst I'm working on my latest brain child.

Would say, a MacBook 15" work as a media centre? Can they be used in clamshell mode?

If I got the MacMini the portable device would be an iPad once they are released, by far the cheapest way to do it, but it doesn't retain all of the practicality. The iPad doesn't manage to keep up with a MacBook/Pro for the more intensive end of my work.

The thing with the MacBook/Pro is, that its not practical when I go away as I am very limited with space on my motorbike, and I then have to carry lots of cables, and the mouse etc.

So right now I'm quite stuck as to what to do...

Any help, suggestions or similar experiences would be very helpful!

Many thanks,
    Adam

2. anonalidall macrumors newbie

I'd get the 15" MBP. Hook it up to your TV (MacBook's can be used when closed if you have an external keyboard and mouse). For me at least, an iPad really wouldn't cut it as a mobile system unless all you want to do is small amounts of writing, browse the web, and check email. Depending on how much you need the extra graphics card a 13" would be an even better mobile system, the weight difference and size is noticeable if you're carrying it around all of the time.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" MBP should be fine as size is important for you

If you have the $, 27" iMac + 13" MBA would be pretty ideal for you, "only" 2650$ if you buy them both from refurb store

4. confistimicated thread starter macrumors newbie

The MBA was appealing when I played with it in the store, and would certainly be lighter than my current MacBook.

I would also love the iMac, but I live in a barrack block, so space is at a serious premium, and I already have a 24" HDTV taking up most of the room. If I could somehow get my PS3, or my SKY+ HD to hook up to it then it would be very high on my list.

And the other benefit of the iMac would be that I could keep hold of my current MacBook for a while until I could afford a newer laptop.

On that, is there any way of getting the iMac to display an external HD source?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, not the cheapest option but it can display 720p

6. dcoux09 macrumors member

Don't use an iPad for a portable option unless you're just web browsing. You can't type on it, no USB... not really a work computer. you can go with the 13" pro and get an external monitor (LG, Samsung, Dell all offer 24" ones for less than 350).

7. confistimicated thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats a bit steep, and no sign of UK prices yet. I could always just go for a MacMini and use my current HDTV, and get the MacBook if I needed power use.

Or even just an Apple TV, and aTV Flash it. Then have an MBP.

But the whole idea of the iPad is that carting my current MacBook around on the bike is becoming a problem. And is probably what has stopped the SuperDrive from functioning properly as it appears to have warped the casing from when its been sat on the tank.