The Ideal Setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mojopixel, Nov 11, 2007.

1. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

Hello,

I'm looking to get a Mac for graphic and web design work so it needs to run Adobe CS3 and I'm looking to be as money efficient as possible. So, what would be the most cost effective way to get a mac for my needs?

Could I get away with getting a mac mini and running cs3 or would a mac book pro or a macbook be the absolute minimum?

any thoughts? :apple:

cheers,

mp :)

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

a refurbished mac pro, with 30" refurbished mac screen ;)
    here is the screenshot :p

Attached Files:

3. mm1250 macrumors 6502

The iMacs, MacBook Pro or the Mac Pro would be great options.

I wouldn't suggest doing web design work on a MacBook 13'' screen.

the iMac 24'' I think are 1800$ and I wold suggest bumping the RAM on any of your purchases to 4GB.

4. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

What about using a macbook with an external monitor?

5. Patrick My macrumors newbie

Do you need a mobile setup? If so, the most cost effective setup would be a MacBook and an external monitor. If not, the most cost effective setup would be a Mac mini and an external monitor.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

A lot of these decisions really come down to budget, computer related income, and future needs.

I would probably start with a 15" MBP if you want or need to be mobile. At a later time I would add an external monitor...once you know you will benefit from its use. At that time I would seriously consider a 30" monitor (possibly not from :apple:! please don't flame me...I actually have a 30" ACD). FYI I don't think the MBs can power the 30". At a much later date you could then add a desktop machine (ie MacPro) if your business is going well and your work justifies the expense.

I would resist the temptation to buy a big set-up until you really know what you need. Wants are fun to indulge, but generally harder to pay off than your needs!

7. mojopixel thread starter macrumors 6502

mojopixel

great

thanks for the advice, I think I shall plum for the macbook and use it with my current monitor, that way I have the option of mobility and a decent size screen to work with. :)

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Avoid using the iMac and MacBook displays, they aren't particularly accurate when it comes to colour/gamma levels.

The MacBook Pro and Apple Cinema Displays are perfect for anything art or video related. An ACD hooked up to your MacBook will produce a stunning picture. Avoid the 30" though, that won't work with your MacBook as well as a 20" or 23".

2500th post yay! :D:D

9. artic5693 macrumors member

The MacBooks can not power a 30" display as they require a dual-link DVI out, where it only has a mini-DVI out.

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Mac Mini (beef up the RAM), and whatever Dell monitor you can afford.