The identity problem with the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jesushavemercy, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jesushavemercy macrumors member

Hi, I've been following posts on this forum for a while, and finally I decided to create an account and post some things.

Currently I have an ipod touch and Macbook pro 2011, I've always liked apple products because of the design and reliability, however lately I've been thinking about replacing my SE x10 with the new iphone 5(4s). Mainly because of two things- no other SE phone with similar spec and also that the iphone simply is a great product.

I live in Sweden and a lot of people here use iphone,that is also the main problem for me, it feels like you're on of a big group if you also use one.

How would you act? Should I become one of the mass or stick with another phone?:confused:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can't say that I ever pay attention to a phone someone else is using
    I use the iPhone 4 because it suits my needs, no other reason

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, don't worry so much about what everyone else has; if it works for you, and you're happy with it, that's all that should matter.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

You shouldn't being have identity problems with your phone...just buy the iPhone 4 its a beautiful device and a respectable phone regardless of who you are. Besides you can always see a psychologists if it becomes an issue :p
    Here are some pictures to make you drool of my iPhone (NOTE: I have both a black and white backplate):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This. Buy it if you know it'll suit what you need it to do. You shouldn't care what other people have.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Tons of people own the iPhone 4, everywhere. You want to know why? Because it is a good piece of equipment. If you want to stick it out with a crappier phone just to be unique, be my guest. I use Apple products because I like what they do for me.

7. The Norman macrumors member

All these goons around me are buying Fords, but my horse is one of the loveliest stallions and has the most wonderfully unique markings.

8. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Don't worry, in a couple years everyone will be rocking an android based phone. Then you can safely buy an iPhone for your own use without worrying about identity.

But to be serious, why do you care about what others use? Does the iPhone match your needs fine? Then the answer is obvious. If it doesn't, still very obvious.

All this peer pressure thing needs to die.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

10. Msmit71 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Really want you iphone to be unique? Get a hardware color swap (Blue looks nice) and then jailbreak the phone.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What the hell is that monstrosity? :p

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I've never derived any pleasure from the status of my phone or other Apple devices.

I enjoy the way it works and I appreciate the build quality. I don't care about exclusivity.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Same here. A lot of people I know buy the iPhone because the Apple logo screams "status" and "money" but honestly I like the products because they work well for me and they suit the wants and needs that I have. I also derive much pleasure from the game of cat and mouse that is jailbreaking and unlocking. :D The Apple logo is also kinda cute. :p

14. xMBPx macrumors regular

The phone is sexy and is always the phone to beat but is never beaten. This alone encourages great competition between developers and manufactures which results in the best apps and accessories.

What more do you need?

Oh, and it kind of matches my Macbook Pro and iPad..

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

At least for smartphones, iPhone provides the best user experience.

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The only time I ask people about their iPhone is when I want to use their charger. Other than that, I don't see the point, they use what they like, I use what I like, everyone is happy.

17. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I can understand the OP wanting to be "unique" or whatever, but like you said, it is just a phone. Get what you enjoy. The fact that others enjoy the same thing should say enough about how good the product is. If the OP has to use a cell phone to define his unique-ness, there is a problem with his individuality.

19. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Glad to read this, I thought I was the only one who could relate to the OP. When I got the first iPhone, there was a certain amount of pride knowing I was in an elite group. Not just because it was Apple, but also because it was the first touchscreen. Now, they're commonplace, everyone hasnone type or another. Not unlike when the first cell phones themselves began hitting the market in large quantities.

20. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Apple is far from the first. I've used touchscreen phones since the 90's.

21. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I can see someone getting that sort of feeling from a Ferrari or a Lamborghini but an iPhone? Come on. Get something because you enjoy what it does for you, not because it makes you feel better than everybody else. That's lame.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Well, if you want to be unique get a Windows Phone 7. :p

23. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

You're phone really doesn't define anything about you. At least in my eyes.

Then again, when I saw people with the 2g iPhone back in 07-08 I remember being beyond jealous. But that was before everyone had a smartphone.

24. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I can understand getting jealous over someone having a product, but what I cannot understand is buying a product to make someone jealous.

25. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

It's not that it was a stud symbol, like those expensive cars. It's more about the thrill of being on the cutting edge of a new technology, being part of it. What many call the first video game, was made in a small lab in New York or somewhere around there. It was a pong type game on an oscilloscope and when the facility had their annual open house, people stood in line for hours to get 5 minutes to play. They were there, part of the revolution. That's what it's about.