The idiocy of Lion full screen mode

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mac32, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Mac32 macrumors 65816

Hi, good mac people.

Something has been bugging me for quite some time, so I thought I'll just post it.
    Has anyone else thought about the incredibly unintuitive full screen mode in Lion? Talk about making things unecessarily difficult.
    Why couldn't just Apple have an autohide option for the menu bar, as well as the dock?
    This would do away with all the multiple screens and spaces, and be much more practical IMO.

Am i missing something here, or is this just one more backward step with Lion (autosave/versions and resume being other obvious issues)?
    :confused:

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

I think the point of full-screen mode is to have it be a one-click and/or swipe thing, rather than having to deal with resizing and reorganizing windows.

It's mostly useless on larger screened Macs, but I find it helpful on my 11" Air.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It's different from auto-hiding the menu-bar and dock. It's a nice feature, although I find that I rarely use it.

I don't see how this is unintuitive. Press fullscreen, app goes fullscreen. Hit escape, app goes back.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i have locked the dock away forever (except to occasionally check the trash).
    i use dock gone (a system preference).

so i use the 'full-screen' of my 13" mbp UP TO the menubar. i don't mind the small real estate of the menubar at all, but don't like the dock space (or it popping up every time i hover near a part of the screen).

to each his own of course. i am happy on OS X Lion (happy on OS X since 10.2! but wish there were more options to customize our user experience BUILT into the system (as opposed to needing shareware apps)...