The Ikea JONAS Desk

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ygn, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Ygn macrumors member

First of all I hope this is the correct section for this question!

I'm considering buying one of these in a week or so, I'm planning on buying the unit with a drawer and cupboard but theres just one thing which I'm wondering about the desk.

I'm hoping to store a printer and other things such as my router and external hard drive inside so I need some sort of shelf to help separate them and keep it tidy, so what I'm after is confirmation as to whether it has a shelf or the ability to fit my own shelf, and also the dimensions of the cupboard as I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks and feel free to post pictures of your jonas desk too! :)

2. Ygn thread starter macrumors member

Also, does anyone know if they sell the black version of this desk in the UK stores?

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Take a look on the UK site and search for something like JONAS desk, as there's other products with the JONAS name as well. However, I bet they do.

I have a VIKA CURRY desk in white, with white legs. I also got a desk protector (made out of plastic) to stop pencil marks etc. damaging the desk. I always thought VIKA CURRY was one of the most unusual/weird names, but I guess it means something in Swedish...

I love Ikea. The design, the way you shop there, everything.

4. Ygn thread starter macrumors member

I've looked on the UK site but it doesn't have the desk in black, however on the CA site it does... I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I love Ikea too, everything is just so simple.. :p

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I have a JONAS desk and I've modified it a bit to store things like the router as well as making holes for cords. Since it's one of the more solidly built desks from Ikea you can do more to it, like adding shelves and cutting holes.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

That's weird...I didn't think there were changes between countries. :(

7. Davieis macrumors regular

I just got a Birch Veneer Jonas last week and I love it! :D

8. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I bought the SPLEAN SLURPER at the Yokohama store here in Japan. It has a great cable tray built into the back and includes an optional power adapter with several plugs. Ideal for my MacBook Pro and speakers. I have a separate trolley thing that slides underneath called a SPLEAN ROLLER that I have moded to put my printer and router inside. I also use it as a side table when I need the extra space, just roll it out and put stuff on top

BTW, I am joking on the name. Don't know what the thing is called (too many consonants) but it is a practical desk. I have a small dining table too.

9. Ygn thread starter macrumors member

Thats good, shouldn't be a problem adding a shelf or two. Thanks for your help!

I know I thought it was weird too.. unless it's a new addition and haven't added them to the different country sites yet..

Brilliant! :D

I'm going to pick up a SIGNUM cable tray to hang at the back along with a surge protector. It's hard to remember the names of most of their products, I suppose they all have meanings in Swedish! :p