The imac Apple replaced is returned to me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by allisonv7, Nov 12, 2007.

1. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

In mid-July after multiple repairs Apple agreed to replace my iMac. I shipped the broken one back to them and received a brand new one at the beginning of August.

Well something strange happened today. I was in my apartment complex's
    office and they told me they had a package for me that had been there
    for a couple months. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be the
    computer that I had returned to Apple. They had received it from FedEx on Sept. 6. From the looks of it, it came shipped from the Indianapolis Apple store. Which means that I shipped the computer to Apple in California, they must've shipped it to Indy, I assume they fixed it (my original tape had be cut and there was new tape on it) and Indy shipped it forward to me.

I believe the reason I didn't know about it was because for some
    reason it had been mailed to my old address, a different apartment
    within the same complex, so the FedEx note would have been left with
    the wrong person.

I emailed the rep that took care of me with the replacement but have yet to hear a response. Any ideas on how this happened? I'd never read anything like that online here before and am kindof curious as to what they're going to have me do. Obviously I'd love to keep it, but I doubt that'll happen. Who knows though!

What do you guys think??

allison.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well I found an iMac G5 logic board (+£400) that they had sent to the wrong address I called them up, which was a good year after they sent it and they said that I could keep it.

3. Draddy macrumors regular

this is actually the 3rd or 4th time I've heard this story... however the other 3 times were with apple laptops.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Anyone want to use my shipping address?

@allisonv7
    Sounds like Apple got some communications crossed, and no one told the repair department that they sent you a replacement. Best of luck and hope they let you keep it. :)

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

6. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I opened the box and there's no paperwork to indicate any work was done on it....I would've expected at least an invoice or something. I guess I'll just have to see what the rep says.

Draddy - did you read about those stories on here? I'd be interested in giving them a look.

allison.

7. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Similar thing happened to me back when my Gen 1 iPod broke, they just said keep it.

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

well... apple loses money if they have to pay for you to ship it back. Now i understand one would assume they would lose a lot more money just letting you keep it and not being able to resell it, but at this point their profit margin will be cut because of the low price they'd have to sell it as yet another refurb, as well as pay for the shipping back and reboxing and checking it AGAIN... most of the time one would assume that it is in their best interest to just let you keep it, have a super happy customer and save htem the hassle of having to deal with one more open box, because really in the grand scheme of things, that is now just another penny in the jar.

(yes.. pennies do add up, but i doubt this happens that much)

which is probably why in a lot of cases they let you keep it. I assume this woulda been a white imac too as it was in july, so those are even cheaper.

goodluck. lets hope you get to keep it :)

9. Buttercookie macrumors member

I'm the unlucky one who gets apple products that work so I don't get a chance for this to happen to me ;)

10. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I think you're a very honest person getting in touch!

11. skeen macrumors 6502

And silly! It's not as if Apple needs the money - it's a billion dollar company! If you want to "do the right thing", donate it to an orphanage or something.

12. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I don't believe doing the honest thing is silly. Just because a company makes a mistake doesn't mean I'm going to knowingly take advantage of it.

13. allisonv7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Still have yet to hear from the Apple rep...any ideas? :confused:

14. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

As long as you made an effort to notify them. If they know about it and do nothing then you should have no qualms in keeping it or selling it or whatever.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Do you have an Apple Store near you?
    You could go and talk to the manager.

16. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Call me a cheez puff, but I don't believe in accidents, coincidences or luck. I agree with skeen - donate it. Make sure all your info is off of it and use craigslist or a local church or something and you could really make someone's Christmas.

So obviously you have a few more weeks to try to get an anser from Apple first....

17. pjgeer macrumors member

I work in an Apple re-seller's shop, and Apples shipping department has issues whenever anything is outside of the normal, build and ship procedure.

We have recieved several orders that were not ours, but that used product we had chosen to send back, and then Apple fails to remove our ship to stickers and when they send it out for a new customer order, it comes to us due to the old packing sticker. We have also recieved product that obviously had gone to other customers perviously, becuase their reciept and/or return slip is still in the box when it arrives to us.

Could be that this unit was repaired, sent to the Apple store, they saw an old packing slip and sent it on back to the OP, not realizing that it was for their inventory or perhaps it was meant to be a replacement for a service job at the store.

Pj