The iMac Keyboard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by darijoe, Mar 4, 2009.

?

Which of these statements best represents your opinion on the new iMac keyboard?

1. It's a great keyboard!

6.0%
  2. The new keyboard is ok.

7.0%
  3. What was Apple thinking??

5.0%
  4. The one with the numerical keypad should still be the standard with the smaller one as an option.

65.0%
  5. The wireless keyboard should be standard instead.

13.0%
  6. I really don't give a s***!

4.0%
  1. darijoe macrumors regular

Which of these statements best represents your opinion on the new iMac keyboard?

2. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

I can see why a lot of people won't mind the new keyboard.
    But you do anything with a large amount of number then that small board will slow you down.

I'm not just thinking excel, any CADD/BIM, even Photoshop and illustrator are going to be slowed down.

3. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Not everyone uses the numeric pad. Actually if often missing in Laptops.
    Although I agree that the numeric one should be the standard.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

On a notebook, there is about 12" to play with. A full size keyboard with numberpad physically won't fit. On a desktop, you have about 4'+ of desk space to play with. A number pad doesn't add much relative length.

Imagine a user switching from a PC, they go to use the iMac, and they see there's not numberpad, like their old PC had. How could the sales rep tell them that they come with stubby keyboard as stock? Sure it's a free CTO option, but CTO computers have to be shipped in.

It's a big hassle, and I believe Apple are only doing it to cut costs.

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

True

6. fcb macrumors newbie

Completely agree, the current college population are glued to their laptops, they will adopt the new keyboard quickly.

Also, it might be a nice option for the iTablet which must be right around the corner ...

7. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

that is one of the advantages of desktops you have a lot more space to give you a lot more options, bigger screen, bigger keyboard, etc. Just because laptops have become a lot more popular doesn't mean they have to try and turn desktops into the same thing. i love being able to use either number pad when im using my desktop rather than being stuck plucking in numbers like have to on a laptop. it is ridiculous for apple to get rid of the former keyboard, solely away fro apple to cut costs no other reason other than that.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't like the new keyboard. Laptops for the most part are not as wide as a full size keyboard otherwise would probably be included so I don't think that's a good argument.

Also not really about adopting. More about simplicity.

I do like that if you order online you can at least select the option to get the full size keyboard.

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Exactly -- my main concern is that switchers aren't going to have their familiar number pad, should they need it. Of course, there are veteran Mac users who use the number pad as well, but they can at least order it with their next purchase without much fuss. From a PC user's perspective, on the other hand, they might be a little aggravated.

While it's not the biggest deal in the world, it just makes me think that it might be a little different for those who expect the numeric keypad being there.

10. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

My idea exactly.

11. PurpleCliff macrumors regular

PurpleCliff

What be this iTablet you speak of sir? It sounds intriguing! Please divulge.

12. GazH macrumors newbie

GazH

Hi ziggyonice,

Yeah, I am looking to switch and not keen on the keyboard at all.

I am presuming that the fule size keyboard will be available anyway?

Cheers

Gaz

13. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I ordered the keyboard with number pad. I use the number pad all the time. I hope they don't phase out the number pad.

14. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Yes it is - just choose it as an option instead of the default small keyboard. It doesn't cost any extra.

15. GazH macrumors newbie

GazH

Thanks Zen,

No worries then, as long as its available then everybodies happy. :D

Cheers

Gaz

16. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

I think if you bought it at a store and you politely asked a sales rep to swap out the keyboards, they shouldn't mind.

17. srexy macrumors 6502a

I doubt it... there's no way for them to retail a stubby keyboard unless they want to use it as a demo.

I was a bit miffed recently when I went to purchase my 20" iMac and wanted the wireless kb mouse option and was informed that they were custom order only. Luckily for me the winmob POS scanner crapped out during my checkout and a manager had to go back to investigate whether the charge had gone through. After 45 minutes of hanging around the manager had figured out the charge and I had had time to ask him if there really weren't any wireless kb/m combos in the store. He found one and gave me a pro discount so I left happy.

18. zedsdead macrumors 68040

As far as I am concerned, the keyboard should have the black-backlit keys, with the glass trackpad on the right side. There was a great mockup of one a few months ago.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

No, the mockup was garbage and the concept of it is garbage.

Apple should have just kept the keyboard the same. No slimming down of desktop keys, and no turning desktop input into laptop input.

Just.... regular..... keyboard...... with...... numpad...... PLEASE!

20. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I've been using the small wireless since it came out. I've never really desired since to have the numeric pad back. It's pretty much useless to most people anyway.

21. alana22 macrumors regular

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Personally, I think the smaller keyboard looks too small in front of the 24" iMac.