The iMac screen dust problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lizardofwoz, Sep 19, 2012.

1. lizardofwoz macrumors regular

I have seen no comments on the screen dust problem for a while. Apparently dust was able to get behind the glass and was difficult to remove.

Has this problem been resolved by Apple? Do the current iMacs have better dustproofing?

2. lizardofwoz thread starter macrumors regular

No responses to this question so can I assume that the problem was fixed?

... and why wasn't I told? :)

3. Flying Teapot macrumors newbie

I was worried about this problem when I bought my 27 inch mid-2011 iMac last December. I even waited a few months to buy, hoping that Apple would implement a fix in production. All I can say is that after more than 9 months of continuous operation I have not seen any sign of the "smoke screen" problem with my iMac. I do a lot of gaming and I use smcFanControl to keep the temperatures down because I thought the problem might be heat related. My iMac has a production date of October 17, 2011. It's funny, even last December when I bought it people were talking about waiting for the next version to be released.

4. lizardofwoz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, teapot. That helps my decision-making :)

5. cyrways macrumors member

for what's it's worth it takes about 2 minutes and two large suctions cups to and a can of air to take care of most dust issues on the imac.

6. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

2010 and up, you don't really need suction cups to remove the glass. Just your fingernails if they're long enough. If you don't long fingernails, a spudging tool will work also

7. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I personally wouldn't recommend or advise this way though as it is more likely to cause an accident. With suction cups you can get more of a firm and safe grip on the glass without as much fear of knocking/dropping it and damaging it.

8. DoubleVision19 macrumors member

Knock on wood...of all the iMacs I've fixed, I've never had that happen to me yet;) I'd be more concerned when removing the LCD from the casing because of its weight.

9. MacSignal macrumors regular

I bought a used 2011 iMac 21 from a smoker. There were what appeared to be smudges on the inside of the glass. It was smoke residue that the iMac had sucked in.

The machine was still under AC, so I took it to an Apple Store where a genius removed the glass and cleaned off the smudges during our appointment.

No issues since. I don't smoke and try to keep the dust in check around my computer work area.

10. lizardofwoz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again, people.

Clearly the problem is still with us, but the remedy isn't too difficult. I am in a dusty environment that I cannot improve, so I will be investing in the suction cups method.

I am told that the best suction cups are available from the Perfumed Harem Adult Toys depots... :D

11. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

Wouldn't that leave a stain on the glass:D

12. lizardofwoz thread starter macrumors regular

Depends on how close you are standing :)