The Image Retention issues on late 2013 Retina MBP with LG Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airlied, Dec 6, 2013.

1. airlied, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

airlied macrumors regular

airlied

I got a 2nd gen (late 2013) macbook pro with retina display (15'inch, high end) at an apple store in Tokyo. It comes with a Samsung Display.

After 3 weeks a stupid friend made a very serious scratch on the screen by her findernails, and I replaced the screen at the apple store.

However after 5 days of waiting I found that they replaced me a LG display, the model is:

Color LCD
    LP154WT1-SJE1
    DCN334601F9FF0NB1

I started searching the website to see if there are someone who has already got the "ghost image" problems with this specific type of display, I also did a IR test at the website, shows no IRs, so far.

But if the screen will be having the ghost image eventually (say, 1 month or longer), I have to find another excuse to get my mac repaired and ask them for a Samsung display, Because this is really annoying! I have a 1st gen macbook pro retina version and the ghost-image is too bad!

So please help me if your screen is exactlly the same with mine and whether you have suffered the IR issue, and please dont forget to tell when did you purchased it, or if anyone who can tell me that has LG really solved the IR issues or not in 2013.:(

Thanks, all the best.:)

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Two points. First, starting with the second revision LG screen included in the early 2013 MBP models, image retention is a far less widespread issue. Second, should it begin to exhibit symptoms you still have at least one year of warranty. Best to do your worrying then and not now.

3. Xerotech macrumors 6502

The only way would be replacing the screen. ;)

Just wait until the IR gets strong enough. Apple conducts a similar test to that checker-box ones online.

4. iKrivetko, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

So your screen is working properly, but you still have to create a thread about image retention?

5. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

its a new model anyway.

the ones that has image retention have SJA1 code on the back.

6. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

My just-bought early-2013 rMBP has image retention (LG display). Waiting for a response from Apple Care if they'll say "it's normal" or will replace the screen. Anyway, I'm afraid about the yellow cast from some Samsung displays. In other words, it seems that it's hard to get a good retina display.

LG has good colors, but image retention. Samsung shows no IR, but some units have a yellowish feel. Hope they'll replace my screen with a good one...

7. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

LG screens have the yellow tints too, it's not only Samsung.

8. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

So does the yellow tint is a real issue (i.e., it's not uniform) or can be easily corrected with the OSX's calibration utility?

9. airlied thread starter macrumors regular

airlied

Yes its correctable with the calibration utility, just download a profile file that specialized for samsung display and you will get better screen.

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I think it will not solve, since the colors aren't even. You can turn an even yellow cast to blue-white, but I can't imagine how you can turn a 75% yellow-gradient, 25% magenta-gradient to blue-white. You'll always compromise either the magenta portion or the yellow portion.

Got my 2nd replacement today (3rd display at total). Have my rMBP for about a month and already have my Macbook opened twice. This is what the ioreg combo command says:

Color LCD
    LP154WT1-SJA2
    DCN331400ARFDR3AV

This is my second SJA2. This one has a more uniform yellow bottom, but stills turn into magenta at the top. If it was mostly envenly yellow, I'd be ok (not 100% ok, but reasonably ok at the point to not ask for another replacement). Going monday to the AASP asking for my third (and hopefully the last) replacement.

11. AAtte macrumors newbie

Has there been problems with 2014 manufactured 15'' Retinas? I would like to buy one used, ME294 with 750M. Its serial number is ''ML'' so it has been made 2014, april and week 17. I don't know if it has Samsung's or LG's screen. Does it even matter anymore? Is it safe to buy? The package is unopened so there is no information, if the screen is OK or not.