The IMEI provided is not a valid AT&T IMEI

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scapegoat81, Sep 3, 2015.

1. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

Has anyone experienced problems trying to unlock their iPhone w/ At&t ?

So I've had 2 device replacements since I bought my iPhone 6 last Sept. due to warranty issues. The last being in May of this year. I recently paid off my device looking to unlock it, then sell it so I can upgrade to the 6s. 5 days after putting in the request, I got an email stating I got denied. Reason was "The IMEI provided is not a valid AT&T IMEI". Weird cuz I've been using their network for the past 4 months. So a few calls to At&t & Apple pointing fingers at each other later, I finally get a somewhat logical solution. The At&t rep suggested I go to a local store & install a new SIM to re-register the phone on the network, THEN request another unlock. Seems fishy to me b/c it doesn't change the actual IMEI #.

Has anyone had a similar experience ? This is driving me nuts cuz I gotta weird feeling they're gonna deny me again & I'll have to sell the device locked to AT&T.

2. Odat macrumors newbie

Odat

I just paid off the balance on my next AT&T plan for 2 iPhone 6 plus 64gb so I can preorder 2 6s plus iPhones. I also had both phones at some point exchanged due to issues. When I went to unlock it online after paying them off, it said they still had a balance on them. I'm sure this has something to do with the replacements having different imei numbers. Anyway, I called and she had to manually submit an unlock request ticket for both phones. She put in the notes that it was a replacement and that the balance was paid off. Took about 2 days but got both unlocked. I confirmed it with a T-Mobile sim. I plan on selling them on Craigslist. Although not exactly what happened to you but close :). Good luck!.

3. scapegoat81 thread starter macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

Thanks for the reply. If it doesn't go through this time, I'll ask them to put in the request manually. Appreciate it !!