All iPads The "In Bed" Air Test....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrankB1191, Nov 1, 2013.

1. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

:D:D We'll, I'm in bed, and the Air is no more difficult to use than the Mini. I gave up on the iPad 4 after a couple of brutal attempts. It's easy enough to hold with one hand, but one hand and resting on my chest is better (this is a flat on my back test :D ). I'm beginning to see the Mini fading out of my life. My HTC One and its 4.7" screen can take on the small tablet role for a while. If that doesn't work, I'll look at the retina Mini.

2. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Only problem is getting your retina's burned out due to iOS7.

3. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

LOL @ your thread title!

Am about to run my first bed test myself. Can't wait to read an ebook on something lighter and smaller than my 17" mid '09 MBP. As for what to prop it up with, I'm trying the pillow behind the Air route. :D

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I was hoping this thread didn't have pictures ... nothing worse than the weight of an iPad making you exhausted while already in bed :apple:

5. bobright macrumors 601

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Weight and bulk were the two main reasons I sold my iPad 3 a month ago, thinking the rumors about a thinner and lighter iPad were most likely true. I wanted to get a good price on the 3 while nothing had been announced yet.

Unboxed and set up my iPad Air tonight, and I am thoroughly pleased. It's a little heavier than my wife's iPad Mini, but definitely feels closer to that than it does to the iPad 3.

I set mine up as a fresh iPad, and chose not to restore from backup, so I was sitting there for about 3 hours tonight downloading and setting up all my apps. My wrists are not sore at all, and that is a HUGE relief. In my opinion, the iPad Air solves the girth problems that the iPad 3 and 4 had while still giving you the awesome design of the mini.

7. royinla14 macrumors 6502

For me it is totally the opposite. After a year with the mini I got the air today and totally can't adjust back to the full size and weight (it's still significantly heavier than the mini). Can't wait for the mini w retina to come out

8. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I'm a bit concerned about the smaller bezel on the sides. With my current ipad I lay on my back with a pillow on my stomach/chest then rest the ipad on top of the pillow horizontally. With my ipad bezel being thicker and the ipad sinks into the pillow a bit, I can still see all the screen. But with the ipad air I'm assuming that when it sinks into the pillow it will then cover up the bottom if the screen.

9. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

I have to disagree. I bought the Air tonight, and i'm using it, and while it's significantly lighter, and a tad thinner, it's still not as comfortable to use as the mini. The main thing is that it's still too heavy for one hand operation.

Love the performance, and the improvement to the form factor, but i'm still going with the mini retina.

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I tend to read laying on my side with the iPad locked in landscape mode resting on it's side edge on the bed. If my eyes were better I might have considered the mini, but since they aren't the bigger screen of the Air is much easier to read for me. Since I just balance the iPad instead of holding it, the weight is pretty much irrelevant.

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

buy some dumbbells.

----------

Faulty for sure, return it :rolleyes:

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Lol, I did the bed test last night too. So much easier to use. My 3rd gen has so thick and heavy that I couldn't really use it in bed.

13. billnye97 macrumors regular

I feel the same way. However, I gave the mini to the wife. It makes more sense having an Air and mini in the house than two airs.

14. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

fell asleep with the air still in my hands last night :eek:
    woke up this morning and it had found its way on to a pillow on the floor.

SO LUCKY :)

15. OSMac macrumors 65816

Try turning on accessibility / invert colours for night use.
    Makes the screen much darker, too bad photos look strange,
    but I find it really helps for reading.

16. FrankB1191, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

FrankB1191 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ummmmm....... Me too!!! I dozed off a couple of times for a few seconds, and decided the test was over. :D

I eventually settled on holding it with both hands, slightly elevated above the blanket. It's light enough to be comfortable that way, and the screen is unobstructed. It's not going to be perfect for everyone, and I can understand that people will love their Mini over the Air. ;)

17. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

you must be a very weak person if u think the iPad Air is too heavy for one hand. (this is coming from a paraplegic that has very limited hand and arm strength.) lol

18. Vertigo1 macrumors regular

Trying not to read too much into the importance being placed on the ability to hold it in one hand whilst in bed! ;)

19. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Reading the above, I have to wonder how we survived as a species all these thousands of years… :)

20. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Hmmmm, remember the old days when we had to hold physical books in bed? :)

I guess we will need to wait for the iPad SuperDuperPro that will interface with our brains so we don't have to hold anything!

R

21. lars666 macrumors 6502a

The only reason I desperately wait for an iOS 7 jailbreak: f.lux.

22. scupking macrumors 6502a

Going from an iPad three then to a mini and now to the air. I do say the mini is easer to use. Weight wise I don't feel much of a difference between the air and mini. Speed wise big difference in a bunch of things.

23. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's amazing how many people's night time ritual includes surfing time on their trusty iPads. That 184g in weight reduction over the iPad 4 must be a huge relief when lying on your back with your neck up crimping all the nerves in your spine. :D

24. isephmusic macrumors 6502

Omg the pillow on your stomach holding the iPad was awesome! Doing it now thanks

25. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Bless you. Now they just need this on a single click option somewhere.