The Inevitable Should I Buy Now Or Wait? ... Thread

Discussion in 'iMac' started by arcobb, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. arcobb macrumors regular

    Feb 3, 2005
    Hi Folks!

    I have an opportunity to have an iMac purchased for me as a Christmas present. I'm wondering if I should try to see if I can get a raincheck for the revision. I haven't seen to many rumors about upcoming revision ... but I'm curious if there is any rumors as to what the next revision might bring. For example is a better graphics card worth it? (I'm not a big gamer, but from time to time I'll check a title out) What are the odds of a LED backlight or is that still a ways down the road? Bluray anytime soon?

    Do I need one today? No ... I have a very capable MBP (Santa Rosa). But a gift is a gift.

  2. Fletchzky macrumors member

    Nov 25, 2007
    I just posted a thread about waiting for Macworld to buy one (1.15.08). There's always a chance Apple can announce a revision.....I'm hoping for a GPU revision.
  3. czachorski macrumors 6502a


    Sep 24, 2007
    New iMacs just came out. New OS X Leopard just came out. New iLife just came out. This is a unique time to get all 3 in very early stages of their product cycle with one purchase. Don't wait - now is the ideal time to buy. You won't see a triple alignment like this for a long long time.
  4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040


    Oct 23, 2006
    an iMac as a gift is amazing. I would get one - of course!
  5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    I agree completely. I think it is doubtful that you will see an update in January. Even if you do, it will most likely be just some minor upgrade to the processor speed and HDD size.
  6. AlexisV macrumors 68000


    Mar 12, 2007
    Manchester, UK
    The chance of an iMac upgrade in the next 6 months is very slim.
  7. OnePumpChump macrumors regular


    Nov 19, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Exactly, but the Mac Pro on the other hand...
  8. srichart1 macrumors member


    Sep 30, 2007
    Wait. No, buy now!

    Buy now, if you can. Like Tom Petty once said ' the waiting is the hardest part...'
  9. Tom J macrumors regular

    Sep 15, 2006
    Couldn't have said it better.

    And I could add that new versions of iWork and FinalCut Express just came out.

    So let's say you wait until January. Invariably, there will a new rumor of a new product or revision in a few months and you'll decide to wait. Rinse and repeat. It's an endless cycle. Buy NOW.
  10. Tom J macrumors regular

    Sep 15, 2006
    To illustrate my point above, In August 2006 I wanted to buy a new iMac, but wait... Apple may be releasing a new model soon. Since that time here are some of the reasons why I kept waffling on a new purchase.

    Sep 01, 2006: 23-inch iMac on September 12th?
    Sep 06, 2006: Apple Releases Core 2 Duo iMac, Adds 24 inch iMac
    Feb 22, 2007: Full Mac Line To Be Updated In Q2? Black iMac?
    Feb 25, 2007: Next Generation Intel Platform (Santa Rosa) Tracking For May
    Mar 19, 2007: Next Apple iMacs with "Striking New Industrial Design"?
    May 21, 2007: iMac Update Slated For Late June
    May 23, 2007: Analyst: MacBook Pro, iMacs at WWDC?
    Jun 06, 2007: No iMac Updates at WWDC?
    Jun 07, 2007: Brushed Aluminum iMac at WWDC?
    Jun 10, 2007: Worldwide Developers Conference 2007 Rumor Roundup
    Jun 18, 2007: 20" and 24" iMacs Due Mid-to-Late Summer
    Jul 06, 2007: Brushed Aluminum iMacs in August?
    Jul 09, 2007: New Apple Keyboard Coming With iMac Refresh
    Jul 17, 2007: iMac Revision, iLife, iPods on August 7th?
    Jul 31, 2007: Apple Event August 7th
    Aug 03, 2007: First Intel Penryn Chips Due in 2007?
    Aug 07, 2007: New iMacs Released

    Add the Leopard, iLife, iWork and other application rumors and the list gets a lot longer.

Share This Page