The infamous MBP whine... on an early 2008?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ratspootin, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Ratspootin macrumors newbie

I got my 15 inch MBP back in April last year so I was quite surprised when the left side of my keyboard started giving off a high pitched squeal last week. It doesn't happen all the time though--yesterday I couldn't even trigger it and was considering not sending it in for repair after all. But when the box showed up today, I decided to try to get it to squeal one more time and well, I didn't need to try.

Adjusting the fan speed does nothing, but I can trigger the noise by opening folders, pasting files, and moving things in and out of the trash. The squeal lasts for exactly 30 seconds, except during starts up (3 seconds) and starting today, if VMware Fusion's running the noise just keeps on going (I shut it down after five minutes--my poor ears). The part that has me confused is that if I put it into sleep, I can't trigger the noise after wake up and temperature doesn't seem to have a constant effect on it either, but if reboot, it does have to cool down before the noise will start again.

Right now, Apple Care has it down as "sensory issues - fan unusually loud" because that's where the noise was coming from (I've dealt with enough squealing PC case fans--this is the same noise but much, much louder).

Anyway, if this is the whine that everyone was talking about in the earlier MBPs, I'm thinking I should call AC and have them change the complaint, if they'll even listen to me. I'm just thankful it's doing this in the summer so I can be home for FedEx.

2. Ratspootin thread starter macrumors newbie

Adjusting the brightness doesn't effect it at all so it's not the display inverter. I did reset the PRAM like brop52 suggested on page two and it's been quiet all day :confused: Not that it's a bad thing; I just hope it doesn't start back up again in a few days.