The Insanity....Forever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btrav13, Sep 29, 2011.

1. btrav13 macrumors 6502

So this year will mark the 5th iteration of Apple's iconic handset. It seems like every year the hype is like this, but at the rate we're going it appears that Apple will release some new version of the phone in every single calendar year.

That being said, is there any particular reason people go all crazy? You're technically going crazy for something that within ~12 months you're going to want to cast off for a newer one?

Just morbidly curious and something to think about.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

People like toy's. Even though your nintendo christmas present was going to be beat to hell and perhaps be replaced 12 months later you still were crazy excited in anticipation of getting your christmas toys...

3. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. But I was assuming most of us were grown reasonable adults here lol. I like my toys too, but some of this is insane.

4. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

The only insane thing is somebody asking why people in a consumer society act like this when it comes to the world's most popular smartphone.

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Human nature

6. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

If you sell widgets, the goal is to make people want the latest stuff. Whether it's women's shoes or iPhones, nobody is better than Apple at tapping deep into the reptilian "I WANT THAT AND WHAT I HAVE NO IS NO GOOD AND I AM WORTHLESS UNTIL I HAVE IT" part of our brains. That insanity will go on for a very long time.

7. Muro macrumors 6502

Its just like being in love, thats also has a timelapse of 6 to 12 months. Our acts of insanity about the iphone are programmed by nature. Blame nature for it!

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I agree on the insanity of it all. But don't be fooled by "adults" who say they aren't kids anymore. Deep down we are all kids no matter how old we get and for alot of the people on macrumors its more of a hobby to tweak/play with their phone so they get really excited when a new model comes out (I know I do) ;)

9. Muro macrumors 6502

Right said, god forbid I would lose the child in me and turned in a cynical angry man.

10. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Because they are beautiful, functional toys. And everybody can't wait to see what Apple has done to make our newest toy.

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

It's not so bad. :)