The Installer Disc Could Not Be Found

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zaeyde, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Zaeyde macrumors member

Ok, so I've had TERRIBLE luck with Bootcamp.

The first time, it killed my Hard Drive.
    THAT was quite a fiasco.

The second time, I got a disk error because I couldn't format the hard drive through the installer.

And now, Boot Camp can't even read the disc! I am getting VERY frustrated.
    I have gone through three LEGAL copies of Windows XP Pro, and I am NOT happy.
    Running Windows was one of the main reasons I bought a mac.

The second disk that produces a disk error is because of the fact that it's a quick installer that fills in certain options for you, skipping the option to format the hard drive.
    Is there a workaround for this?

The third disc is a regular version, but when I put it in the drive and click 'start installation' in the Boot Camp Assistant, it says "The installer disc could not be found."

I have tried logging in as root, and the disc appears on the hard drive.
    I have tried burning the disc and using the burned copy.

I am getting VERY frustrated and this has not been a good experience for me.
    What happened to, "It just works?"

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Print, read, and follow to the letter every step of the Boot Camp Setup Guide. Skip nothing, assume nothing, verify each step before proceeding. 99% of the failures people report are because of a failure to read & follow instructions.

Three copies of XP? Trust me, if you met all the system & OS requirements and followed the instructions explicitly, you would have had no problems on the first one. I've only heard of one failure here that wasn't related to user error.

Also, please don't cross-post the same thread in different forums. Makes it hard to get help.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Try deleting the Bootcamp partition.

Restart your MacBook.

Then use Bootcamp to create the partition.

Then try to install Windows.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

more detail is needed

did you get all these errors under OSX when using bootcamp? or you had partition ready and got errors during windows xp installation process?

PS. you NEED windows XP SP2.

5. Zaeyde thread starter macrumors member

I have XP Pro with SP2.

The first disc was my fault. It was SP1, but I thought it was SP2.

I have followed every instruction exactly.
    The problem is, the second disc was a quick installer that did not give me the option to format the hard drive, which is a required step.

This disc is fine.
    When I am running Boot Camp in OSX, I partition the hard drive, insert the disc, and click start installation.
    It tells me the disc is not found even though I can see it on the desktop.
    I can open it, and all the files are there.

This is not a failure to follow instructions; This is a failure in software from Apple.

Ok, I removed the partition, rebooted, partitioned, started installer, and it did not work.
    Both in regular account and root account.