Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I must say the keyboard on iPhone X is a lot narrower than the Plus. I am making a lot of typing mistakes.
For me, it’s the best size I’ve ever used. I’m making the least mistakes I’ve ever made since giving up my Hitachi G1000.

I have not really had any software problems with my iPhone X. iOS 11 iterations haven’t played as nicely on my iPhone 7 Plus for whatever reasons, but even though I set up from a backup on my X and not from new, my X has run very smoothly for me so far. I enjoy the integration with my series 2 and series 3 Apple Sport Watches.

However, there was a bit of an ache ever since I packed up my Pixel 2 and returned it for a video recording problem. (Images broke up into pixelated blobs during exposure shifts). I was not planning on wanting or getting a replacement and didn’t think I would miss it as much as I ended up missing it. I did, however, find the keyboard cramped despite the overall dimensions of the device itself closely matching that of my X.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
That is one if the reasons I returned my X. It is just too narrow and too small overall. Nice phone....but just too small.

I've been thinking about getting either the regular 8 or the 8 Plus, and while I like the compactness of my iPhone 7, its keyboard does feel quite a bit cramped and I can't quite achieve the typing speed and accuracy I had with a 6 plus. So while I've also given the X some thought, maybe I'd be better off with an 8 Plus and TouchID?
[doublepost=1513548158][/doublepost]
I have not really had any software problems with my iPhone X. iOS 11 iterations haven’t played as nicely on my iPhone 7 Plus for whatever reasons, but even though I set up from a backup on my X and not from new, my X has run very smoothly for me so far. I enjoy the integration with my series 2 and series 3 Apple Sport Watches.

Do I remember correctly that you had issues with the Samsung Iris scanner causing quite a discomfort in your eyes? I had a similar feeling when I tried it on my S8+ and regarding the X I've been wondering how my eyes would react to being bombarded with FaceID's IR a hundred or so times a day. I guess you haven't had any issues with yours?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
For me, it’s the best size I’ve ever used. I’m making the least mistakes I’ve ever made since giving up my Hitachi G1000.

However, there was a bit of an ache ever since I packed up my Pixel 2 and returned it for a video recording problem. (Images broke up into pixelated blobs during exposure shifts). I was not planning on wanting or getting a replacement and didn’t think I would miss it as much as I ended up missing it. I did, however, find the keyboard cramped despite the overall dimensions of the device itself closely matching that of my X.
I think I find it slightly difficult because I have large hands. People have trouble holding a Plus phone in hand but I dont really have issues with it apart from it not fitting in my pocket. The X feels very small in comparison so its taking some time to adjust for my fingers. Once Apple release the X Plus next year, that will be a perfect phone for me. I hope Apple add ProMotion to it. Even my X feels laggy next to my iPad Pro when scrolling through Safari. 120hz refresh rate is that good.

I do agree the software experience of iOS 11 on my 7 Plus has been extremely sub par. Mainly the battery life which in my obsevration isnt as good as iOS 10. My X lasts much better on iOS 11 in comparison.
[doublepost=1513576594][/doublepost]
I've been thinking about getting either the regular 8 or the 8 Plus, and while I like the compactness of my iPhone 7, its keyboard does feel quite a bit cramped and I can't quite achieve the typing speed and accuracy I had with a 6 plus. So while I've also given the X some thought, maybe I'd be better off with an 8 Plus and TouchID?

Do I remember correctly that you had issues with the Samsung Iris scanner causing quite a discomfort in your eyes? I had a similar feeling when I tried it on my S8+ and regarding the X I've been wondering how my eyes would react to being bombarded with FaceID's IR a hundred or so times a day. I guess you haven't had any issues with yours?
I dont think thats an issue on the X but I have read about PWM on the X OLED causing eye strain for a lot of people. I havent had any issues with it in the few days I have owned the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Samsung Iris scanner caused some serious progressive pain. The ophthalmologist did, however declare my eyes are healthy. I don’t know if his equipment would detect the kind of damage the iris scanner might be capable of inflicting because I was reading that a woman’s eclipse related retina damage was able to be seen and photographed for the first time only because of new equipment. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solar-eclipse-damage-to-womans-eye-revealed-in-striking-images/. I don’t know if my ophthalmologist looked at my eyes with anything like that equipment. I don’t think so.

Face ID doesn’t bother me at all, but if I play around with the animoji for too long I’ll feel a faint odd sensation in my eyes similar to how the Samsung Iris scanner made my eyes feel in the very beginning, before it started causing pain in later uses. So I use animoji very sparingly. I do think the dots from Face ID are very diffuse and gentler than that focused beam from the Samsung. That was like getting poked with a stick after awhile. I have my X set to where it can recognize my face without needing to detect my eyes.

Reactions: Roadstar

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Samsung Iris scanner caused some serious progressive pain. The ophthalmologist did, however declare my eyes are healthy. I don’t know if his equipment would detect the kind of damage the iris scanner might be capable of inflicting because I was reading that a woman’s eclipse related retina damage was able to be seen and photographed for the first time only because of new equipment. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solar-eclipse-damage-to-womans-eye-revealed-in-striking-images/. I don’t know if my ophthalmologist looked at my eyes with anything like that equipment. I don’t think so.

Face ID doesn’t bother me at all, but if I play around with the animoji for too long I’ll feel a faint odd sensation in my eyes similar to how the Samsung Iris scanner made my eyes feel in the very beginning, before it started causing pain in later uses. So I use animoji very sparingly. I do think the dots from Face ID are very diffuse and gentler than that focused beam from the Samsung. That was like getting poked with a stick after awhile. I have my X set to where it can recognize my face without needing to detect my eyes.

Thanks for the info! It's good to hear that FaceID itself isn't causing any discomfort, but the animoji issue is bothering me a bit. I'm starting to gravitate towards the 8 series (still a bit undecided between the regular one and the plus) with TouchID. For after all, when I want to enjoy life with minimal bezels, I have my S8+ for that :)

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
As much as I'm invested in the Google ecosystem and as much as I've claimed that I love Android, I can't get myself to jump back to Android after using the iX. There are things about iOS that I just don't like much, but there's also something incredibly satisfying about a phone that just gets out of the way and does so much so very well. As good as the Pixels are this year, they still come with their share of issues that, while they may not be MAJOR, they still would sit in the back of my mind and leave me with a bit of uneasiness with using them.

Reactions: jamezr

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Is there a way to clean up the clutter other then the use of folders? For how clean and controlling apple is, I am curious as to why their home screen layout is an utter disaster. That's one of my major gripes. Why don't they have a launcher or app drawer?

--

I have tried to get back into using my iPad mini, I have it semi cleaned up. Mostly been playing the game plague inc. I have yet to use it for much else. Can't seem to get into the thing, try as I might.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
I do get a bit bored with IOS sometimes. I have an old Motorola droid z that I will pick up to put on a second line, but every time I realize that I have to sign into my Google account and turn on all the tracking (location, voice, web searches, etc) to use Google Assitant, I unplug it and put it away. I like being able to use Siri without all of the google stuff (I’ll take my tin foil hat off now).

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
My iPhone 8/8+ upgrade lust was diminished quite a bit by trying to have a conversation on my iPhone 7. What have they done to the keyboard algorithm lately? I either spend tons of time correcting what I typed or look like I’m well into my second bottle of whiskey for the night.

Reactions: widgeteer

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
My iPhone 8/8+ upgrade lust was diminished quite a bit by trying to have a conversation on my iPhone 7. What have they done to the keyboard algorithm lately? I either spend tons of time correcting what I typed or look like I’m well into my second bottle of whiskey for the night.

So I'm not imagining it. I wonder if something screwy is up with the keyboard software. The autocorrect has gotten insane, changing perfectly spelled words, capitalizing randomly, etc. It's becoming a very frustrating typing experience.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Few days ago, forgot my debit at home and I had a hard time using Apple Pay. Double click on lockscreen doesn't bring it up. I can't click Wallet to see it. Went back to use Android Pay. Was at McDonald's, so it worked but made me miss Samsung Pay's MST.

The next day, I had to go to Corona. Stupid Google Maps was giving me route where it would take over an 1 hr when it's only 15 minutes away from where I was. Used Apple Maps and problem solved. Both platforms just aren't perfect. No phone is.

You can point out your favorite movie, I can point out its flaws. You can hand me your phone and I can explain to you every flaw it has before even using it. Each one just does something better than the other and vice-versa.

I personally want to stick to Android to keep it all simple because I don't want a different standard charger and works better for my workflow but GMaps messes me up, so I'm forced to use iPhone for Apple Maps being another option in case GMaps misdirects me again.

Just use them all. Each have strengths and flaws. I like Jaime Rivera using two phones -

iPhone X & Pixel 2 XL

Diversity in their answers is nice to see...

MKBHD calls the Note8 the MVP but his personal daily driver is Pixel 2 XL. Surprised Jon4Lakers went for Note8. I thought he was sold on iPhone X again.

For me, I would roll with Pixel 2 XL and iPhone X but my sim would be on the Pixel 2 XL because Android flows better for me. I hate iOS' Control Center and its notification system. I would keep around iPhone just for Apple Maps in case Google Maps messes up again. Both map apps are flawed.

My favorite phones are from 2016 which I'm perfectly happy with it right now and they all still have headphone jacks. Two out of three has removable battery, IR blaster, and wide-angle lens. I can always upgrade to another phone now or next year, but phones bore me these days.

Even debating about their merits for the last decade has become redundant. Essentially the same phones with same usage and apps on them but different years.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Just ordered myself a Gear S3 Frontier as the Samsung Members app was offering a nice discount on it. It'll be interesting to see how it works for my use as Android Wear has been a disappointment and my lowly series 0 Apple Watch is a better experience, but as we all know it doesn't work at all with my current daily driver, i.e. the S8+.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Just ordered myself a Gear S3 Frontier as the Samsung Members app was offering a nice discount on it. It'll be interesting to see how it works for my use as Android Wear has been a disappointment and my lowly series 0 Apple Watch is a better experience, but as we all know it doesn't work at all with my current daily driver, i.e. the S8+.
After using an Apple Watch S0 for 2 years, I love the Gear S3 Frontier. It looks better, and has a much better UI with the rotating dial.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for the info! It's good to hear that FaceID itself isn't causing any discomfort, but the animoji issue is bothering me a bit. I'm starting to gravitate towards the 8 series (still a bit undecided between the regular one and the plus) with TouchID. For after all, when I want to enjoy life with minimal bezels, I have my S8+ for that :)
I think Animoji are cute but I find they’re actually difficult to make properly and just not worth it. I experience lag trying to set one up. I find the lag messes them up. And you don’t want to try and make one out in public.

And since I don’t know any teens or children whose parents are going to be buying or passing along IPhone X’s for them anytime soon, Animoji are not liked by the kids and mine definitely doesn’t want me sending any in case friends might see or hear the Animoji.

It’s almost like the equivalent of getting a howler in Harry Potter. Really, I can understand how it might be embarrassing when you get a text from your mom and a talking chicken with your mom’s voice says “Don’t forget to pay for your own tickets when Josie’s mom takes you all to the ice rink.”

These are the people who will be picking out my old folks home someday. It does not pay to tick them off! :p

Reactions: dsr2 and Roadstar

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
FaceID is okay. It is definitely not as reliable as TouchID has gotten. As far as keyboard software, I think it's a product of machine learning going somewhat off the rails. It's particularly notable when you try to put in a plural word or gerund or some other variation of the word.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
FaceID is okay. It is definitely not as reliable as TouchID has gotten. As far as keyboard software, I think it's a product of machine learning going somewhat off the rails. It's particularly notable when you try to put in a plural word or gerund or some other variation of the word.
I really enjoyed Face ID while I had it, but now being back on my 7 Plus yesterday and my new 8 Plus today, I think Apple could really make folks feel like they’re getting their $1000+ worth if they’d offer both Touch ID and Face ID, because they have Touch ID perfected by now and Face ID is good but not optimal yet. Especially if Samsung can manage, as rumored here today, to offer 3-D facial recognition and still keep in the Touch ID ...lol...and the headphone port!

No, really, option are awesome. I feel less shaken down for my last dime when I’m offered options.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I really enjoyed Face ID while I had it, but now being back on my 7 Plus yesterday and my new 8 Plus today, I think Apple could really make folks feel like they’re getting their $1000+ worth if they’d offer both Touch ID and Face ID, because they have Touch ID perfected by now and Face ID is good but not optimal yet. Especially if Samsung can manage, as rumored here today, to offer 3-D facial recognition and still keep in the Touch ID ...lol...and the headphone port!

No, really, option are awesome. I feel less shaken down for my last dime when I’m offered options.
Options are awesome indeed. If the X had also TouchID in it, I'd be much more likely to get one. Right now I don't want to go all in on FaceID when there's no chance to use some other method apart from typing in the passcode like an animal if FaceID doesn't work for me for one reason or another. In addition, with the nice deal I got I could've bought almost two of these perfectly capable and nice S8+ devices for the price that would get me one X, so I can't really justify getting one right now even though I'd like to give its cameras a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.