The iOS camera cpu usage bug...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Yeah one more try I guess, this has irritated me for months now, threads on here and Apple forums always fall on deaf ears..

Long story short, using System Activity Monitor on my iPhone 3GS, as long as I've not used the camera since restarting it, the cpu usage is somewhere around 94 to 97 idle doing nothing. However, using the camera app, taking photos etc, the idle cpu usage will now be stuck somewhere around 80-90, even after closing the camera app in the "multi-task" bar.

Might not seem a lot to most people, 5-10% extra idle usage? Well, yeah, it causes the battery to drain quicker doing nothing at all, makes menus feel a little laggier, can cause buggy "usage" stats (standby+usage are the same, like 15 hours or something).

This bug has occurred ever since the first iOS4 build, and still present now, restarting the device remedies it (until the camera is used again), restoring from new doesn't fix it, it also explains how iPhones feel "snappier" when restarted.

It probably occurs on the iPhone 4, but not as noticeable since the device is slightly faster, anyone experienced this? Or am I condemned to never use my iPhone camera? Anyone else with a cpu monitor can do some tests?

I'd try a swap at Apple store, but my 3GS gets 8-9 hours usage normally, and has a good colour screen... so that's not an option really.

tl;dr - Using the camera causes excessive idle cpu usage, draining battery faster and causing slowness until the device is restarted.

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Does this also occur when using other third party camera apps? Also for how long did you monitor the idle?

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Are you geotagging your photos? This will activate the GPS function and will cause further battery drain. It should however deactivate the GPS once you close the app. I'm no Apple engineer but one would assume it does that?

4. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Settings, General, Location Services, Camera, OFF.

6. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Ah ok, thanks!

Wow, that fixed the lag for me. Still takes a minute to load but the lag was getting to me a bit.

Thanks again JRoDDz!