Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
They were talking about this on Reddit today. A new beta addition, apparently. But people haven't figured out how to make it work yet.

IT'S ALL UP TO YOU, MOZMAN. REPORT BACK WITH YOUR FINDINGS!!! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Whoa…how did I miss that on Reddit??

Just glad I had volume up enough to hear it. I was like, “WTF???”

I’ll try some things on my next drive if I can…not a lot of traffic or accidents typically when I travel. Heading downtown for a haircut tomorrow…I’m sure I’ll come across something!!

Reactions: arn

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Whoa…it’s like Waze!

You don’t have to say anything.

Will add pics as soon as I get home!

You can report speed traps!!!!!!

Report button on CarPlay screen…and report window that pops up. You heard it here first! Reporting to the MacRumors team as well.

4043ed65f4e4fd9990f94d2e723bfaff.jpg

2e9be9f818bfc736e53558b5cec3a0bb.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Shifts and G1Ravage

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Whoa…it’s like Waze!

You don’t have to say anything.

Will add pics as soon as I get home!

You can report speed traps!!!!!!

Report button on CarPlay screen…and report window that pops up. You heard it here first! Reporting to the MacRumors team as well.

4043ed65f4e4fd9990f94d2e723bfaff.jpg

2e9be9f818bfc736e53558b5cec3a0bb.jpg

HOLY BEJEEZUS!!!!

*changes pants*

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
HOLY BEJEEZUS!!!!

*changes pants*
I almost can't wait to report something...hah...but wonder what it will do/say?? Or what does the reported incident look like on the screen when you come across each of these?? Wish I could take video of carplay....let me see if it works on the phone alone.

Yep….works on phone as well. Will record my trips tomorrow and not use CarPlay so I can see if I can catch some video.

5cbf77103f88dfdccb3fb0ed67521b44.jpg

5fb517e207739b519a77fc8cd85daa6f.jpg

Reactions: Dunk the Lunk

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Oh…and absolutely AMAZING article on Look Around from Justin.

Just read that a little while ago! I liked what he pointed out about some releases having POI’s on the Look Around imagery and other places not. It was actually something I noticed while browsing around Canada after it was released, but didn’t think much of it.

If doing it that way allows Apple to release more areas sooner...personally, I’d be all for it. Release areas sooner...add the POI’s over time.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Seeing these photos of Apple beta testing these reporting features just reminded me of Google's failed rollout of these same features on their iOS app. Makes me wonder if Google gave up.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Seeing these photos of Apple beta testing these reporting features just reminded me of Google's failed rollout of these same features on their iOS app. Makes me wonder if Google gave up.
I don’t understand- Google Maps has really good reporting features.
F9A88A7F-1780-4FD9-8B10-6E6408AF884F.jpeg

Reactions: dk001

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I don’t understand- Google Maps has really good reporting features.
View attachment 1727898

They've never worked on my phones. Sometimes, after updating to a new Google Maps version, the reporting button would appear when starting a route someplace. But it would only appear that one time. In subsequent routes, the button would never appear, only to return after updating Google Maps again. Also, it never showed up on CarPlay.

But with the last four or five versions of Google Maps for iOS that came out, the reporting button never appeared once for me. Seems to be completely dead. I'm surprised to see that it actually shows up for you.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
They've never worked on my phones. Sometimes, after updating to a new Google Maps version, the reporting button would appear when starting a route someplace. But it would only appear that one time. In subsequent routes, the button would never appear, only to return after updating Google Maps again. Also, it never showed up on CarPlay.

But with the last four or five versions of Google Maps for iOS that came out, the reporting button never appeared once for me. Seems to be completely dead. I'm surprised to see that it actually shows up for you.
You need to slide up from the bottom part of the screen, tap “add a report” and then you get the part I screen capped. It’s never not worked for me.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
You need to slide up from the bottom part of the screen, tap “add a report” and then you get the part I screen capped. It’s never not worked for me.

1AB22529-C911-44E2-BC7E-D0456F4ECBE1.jpeg

774940B1-4D2A-49DB-A654-CE8288B60847.jpeg

1AA8F16B-50A6-4397-84D6-37C18823A335.png

Has never worked for me, and hasn’t appeared in months. I previously had an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I’m currently on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I’m always the most up-to-date version of (public) iOS, and the most recent versions of Google Maps.

I just don’t have it. lol

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Reactions: G1Ravage

s0ur_lemon

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2020
View attachment 1727915

View attachment 1727914

View attachment 1727916

Has never worked for me, and hasn’t appeared in months. I previously had an iPhone 11 Pro Max, and I’m currently on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I’m always the most up-to-date version of (public) iOS, and the most recent versions of Google Maps.

I just don’t have it. lol

Also you must be logged in to your Google account in the Gmaps app. When you are logged out, the report button disappears... :-/

Reactions: dk001 and MozMan68

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
lol, I came over here to report that the incident reporting feature is apparently in 14.5 but you guys are all over it (as usual!).

I’m not clear when it pops up though? Does there have to be some slowdown on your route? Or do you invoke it via the menu (like sharing your route)?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
lol, I came over here to report that the incident reporting feature is apparently in 14.5 but you guys are all over it (as usual!).

I’m not clear when it pops up though? Does there have to be some slowdown on your route? Or do you invoke it via the menu (like sharing your route)?

I’m not sure how much it will show up at this point since the reporting function itself is limited to the new beta users.

I’m hoping to compare my phone with the beta and another phone without to see if they both actually see the alerts even if only one can give them…but doubtful.

Reactions: Dunk the Lunk

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Also you must be logged in to your Google account in the Gmaps app. When you are logged out, the report button disappears... :-/

I am definitely logged into my Google account. But I wonder if I have some setting somewhere, where I'm choosing not to share something with Google, which is causing this.

Like I said, I used to occasionally see the report button just after an update, but not for many months now. And it would only appear one time. lol

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’m not sure how much it will show up at this point since the reporting function itself is limited to the new beta users.

I’m hoping to compare my phone with the beta and another phone without to see if they both actually see the alerts even if only one can give them…but doubtful.

I figured out how to summon the reporting button on CarPlay: just tap the screen in the same way as if you wanted to summon the zoom in/out buttons or changing the map perspective from overview to turn by turn. Then the little reporting button appears along the right side.

I decided to try the Siri reporting feature, by saying “Siri, report a hazard”. Firstly, Siri should ask you to confirm you want to do this (it did not). But immediately, an icon appeared on my screen denoting the point where I “called in the hazard”. As you note, it would be interesting to see where else that shows up.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Ok, so I said recently that news on Maps has seemed quiet. Boy am I wrong! Go look at the Apple Maps sub Reddit. Quite a bit of developments. In addition to the already known Waze-like features we have in the 14.5 beta...it sounds like a form of user ratings/recommendations returning and is popping up in many countries. Most recent I saw mentioned was Greece. (Limited to 14.5, I believe).

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Reporting function now lets you cancel or report within a set time limit after you mark the event…seems like 3-5 seconds.

When it first launched, it just marked the spot immediately. You wouldn’t even see it unless you zoomed out as it would fall off the map area as you drove.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Ok, so I said recently that news on Maps has seemed quiet. Boy am I wrong! Go look at the Apple Maps sub Reddit. Quite a bit of developments. In addition to the already known Waze-like features we have in the 14.5 beta...it sounds like a form of user ratings/recommendations returning and is popping up in many countries. Most recent I saw mentioned was Greece. (Limited to 14.5, I believe).

I keep checking in my area and still don’t see the option to review places I visit.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Apple is continuing to add new little things to the existing map.

In New York City, Apple just added a new "hand crafted" parkway logo to Pelham Parkway in the Bronx. Looks like it came in today sometime (didn't see it yesterday). They also returned the logo to the Henry Hudson Parkway, which went missing some months back. Oddly, all logos are still using the "abbreviated" logos (HHP instead of Henry Hudson Parkway), although if you pull up the "detailed" instructions on the phone app itself, you can still see the original "spelled out" versions.

I also noticed something very interesting. There are some sections of highways where Look Around footage is missing (despite being colored blue as if it exists). And in these areas, highway exit information during navigation is oddly worded, or completely wrong.

It's clear that Apple pulls highway sign information from its Look Around footage (or at the very least, from information derived from its vans' cameras). On Interstate 95 northbound in the Bronx, Exit 13 is listed on signs as being for Conner Street. However, when navigating up that way, Apple Maps directs you to take Exit 13 onto Tillotson Avenue, which is the road that the exit ramp dumps you onto. Similarly, on the southbound side, Exit 11 is for Bartow Avenue and Co-op City. But in navigation, Maps displays the information oddly, with periods after the abbreviations (not present on the actual sign), and because it lists Co-op as "Co - Op", it pronounces it as "County Op City". lol

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I took a look at Apple’s site for where they are collecting data for maps. Should give us an idea of what to expect.

Andorra, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain, Finland, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, and Sweden. All have completion dates in 2020 or earlier (except Singapore and Italy which completed in January 2021) and have yet to be released.

Currently ongoing are listed as: Australia (until May), France (until April), Israel (until March), New Zealand (until March). They are also doing another tour of the US for all of 2021.

Given what’s been completed, there are quite a few opportunities for what could be next. If I had to guess what Apple might announce at WWDC, I’d say it could be any of the completed ones (with Italy, Spain, Belgium, and maybe Singapore being the most likely in my opinion) and then from the “in progress” list maybe throw in Israel and New Zealand. France and especially Australia’s completion dates I would say are too close to WWDC for Apple to be comfortable announcing it. Israel and New Zealand are both pretty small and Apple could work through their data pretty quickly.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Discussing on a Reddit thread…seems cycling routes were expanded to Los Angeles and possibly expanded more in San Francisco.

Users are getting a notifications that cycling is now available in their area.

Edit: Portland and San Diego cycling directions apparently added.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.