The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ibosie, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ibosie macrumors 6502

ibosie

Hi,

I'm completely baffled by this. Someone closed the lid on my Macbook Air with a 3G Novatel USB modem connected to the internet. Ever since I can't get the Air to recognise it. I've tried reinstalling the driver, resetting SMC to no avail. Short of reinstalling OSX is there anything else I can try? Thanks.

11/12/2008 20:11:24 kernel USBF: 80.188 [0x428e300] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device. 11/12/2008 20:11:21 kernel USBF: 76.585 [0x428e300] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 1 of hub @ location: 0x4000000)

2. birddog0347 macrumors newbie

Anyone?

I have a MBP and an iPhone 4 and now I cannot connect any iphone to it with the same error. Any help would rock.

3. littledigger macrumors regular

littledigger

I've now got the same problem with a similar set up. anyone?

4. vinpages macrumors newbie

Same for me

Same message for me when I try to plug a USB camera. The same camera works fine on Tiger. But on Lion, nothing happens and I get the message
    "The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in"

Any idea?

5. littledigger macrumors regular

littledigger

UPDATE;

The problem is the port connector on the iphone is more delicate than you think and even if the pins look good, they could still be damaged enough to cause this error.

I replaced my port connector with a unit from fleebay for £4.80. The instructions are on ifixit.com.

Just remember to re install iTunes as well or you will get a hardware error when restoring the iphone.

iPhone is now working and syncing as it did before.