The iP4 camera doubles as a scanner and e-fax machine!!! No need for scanners!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Throw your scanner away because I just realized the camera on the iPhone4 is good enough now that we don't need those anymore.

I just did this and I was (once again) marveled at the capacity of this device.

Next time you need to send an e-fax try this:

Find some good even lighting, set the paper down, and focus the phone so it is geometrically aligned to take an even/symmetrically angled snapshot of the paper. Touch the text to focus the clarity and then save the picture.

Email it at full resolution and then check the outbox on your computer monitor... It looks JUST as good as it would if it were ran through a high res scanner and especially a fax machine!

So next time you need a scanner? .... You Dont... (!)

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yep, for everyday scanning, this is much faster, easier, and more convenient. Coupled with an app like Genius Scan, no need to buy a home scanner.

3. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Very exciting news.

4. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

I didnt think many people realize that though...

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

More like an Internet fax machine. Technically all fax machines are e-fax machines.

Still cool though, use the Genius Scan app and it does this wonderfully.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'll let you scan 100 pages that way and then scan 100 pages with my print/scan/copy HP printer. You let me know how nuts you are from trying to align each page. The flatbed's design made it quite easy to plop the paper down, align it with the correct corner and then scan into Distiller. I had enough of a pain using the iMac camera to scan barcodes on movies to enter into a database.

This use may be fine for sending a document or two, but massive tasks won't cut it.

7. njaremka macrumors 6502

this is awesome! i didn't even think about doing this. downloading Genius Scan right now...

8. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I actually just did that this morning. I had an assignment that I wanted to look at while I was at work, but I didn't want to bring the paper, and the instructor didn't post it to the website yet, so I just took a picture of it and e-mailed it to myself. It is perfectly readable.

9. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Yeah I use the great camera in it often to capture white board schematics/notes as well. :)

10. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

11. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeahhhh.... Um I never had to scan 100 things ever in my life...

12. Pomeless macrumors regular

I think that few people outside of a professional environment would need to scan a 100 page document. Maybe for a hobby or something. In which case I agree with you. For your average user outside of their professional role though I think that the camera is a great and quick tool. I'll have to check out that app they speak of though.

My question is: Does it work equally as well with a photograph? You know take a picture of a picture. I'll have to try it.

13. dizmonk macrumors regular

thanks I will have to check this out!!! I've always been frustrated by not buying a scanner...:eek:

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Obviously not for 100 pages.:rolleyes:
    For 1-2 that I used it for before it worked great though.