The iPad 3 is ruining reading for me.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by homeboy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. homeboy macrumors 6502

This morning I was on the underground reading an article on my daily commute. I didn't manage to finish reading the whole piece and a moment ago I opened the article on my work computer to continue. However it didn't take more than reading 2 lines until my eyes were at unease.

When I first got my iPad on Friday reading on it felt unnatrual but now when I'm used to the sharpness and take it for granted, reading on other digital devices is poop. Even my friend's Macbook which I used to envy for its screen looks pixlated now.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

2. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Is this good or bad? I don't get your thread...

3. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

Definitely my new iPad is my goto device for any reading. Guy at work thought it was so funny that I was checking my email on it while sitting at a computer he took a pic

4. homeboy thread starter macrumors 6502

It's bad because whenever I want to do reading on a digital device I feel like picking up the iPad since my eyes have adjusted and are now more comfortable reading on it.

5. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I much prefer reading on my iPad, can read much smaller text now no problem, used to struggle a bit.

6. homeboy thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly how I feel. The iPad is on my desk here at work and I almost feel like picking it up and try to get some work on it.

Amazingly I haven't double tapped or pinched and zoomed since I got the device. It feels like having a bigger screen, you can see more and everything is more clear.

7. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

I feel the same, the era of 96dpi (windows) and 109dpi (apple cinema display) is going to die, I don't care what people say about sitting far enough away that it doesn't matter, it does. I notice big time now, and it effects how you see color as well.

Apple is changing another market, we will all see higher dpi desktop displays in the near future. If apple pulls off a MacBook with high dpi this summer, it will come sooner.

The next big revolution is displays that don't glow or use LEDs, like true paper...it's going to happen.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

As a human you can adapt.

Not everything is going to be on your iPad. Adapt:rolleyes:

9. homeboy thread starter macrumors 6502

That is inevitable but the biggest problems is power consumption. The iPad has gone from 25 Watts to 42 Watts which puts it into laptop territory and it runs hotter too, not to mention being noticably heavier.

On laptops those factors would be amplified significantly. Just look at the weight differences between laptops with integrated GPU versus those with discrete. The penatly is quite severe.

In order for Macbooks to sport Retina-esque displays there would need to be significant leaps in GPU power consumption as well as batery technology.

Retina Macbook Pro's will come to market but whether the technology is available this year is another question. Surely Intel Ivy bridge is an improvement over Sandy Bridge but its not a miracle maker.

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Reading isn't ruined for me by the iPad 3. I love the screen, but printed books are still superior. In fact, while I read the New Yorker on my iPad I actually prefer my Kindle as a reading device.

11. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Fixed that for you. ;)

Seriously, the iPhone 4 killed the mere idea of me getting an iPad, because the quality of the display was that far ahead. I saw both in store, grabbed the iPhone, and never looked at the iPad a second time. (until now) Considering that the iPad has similar quality - I'm finding all other displays are dead to my eyes. No BS, my eye strain relating to monitors, I chalked up to my eyes - however since using the iPad display, I'm finding it's actually from the monitors. Didn't notice this on the iPhone, because I hold it much closer, but the iPad is the same distance as my monitor.

Cannot wait for hi-res laptops / monitors / iMacs.

My ancient 2004 Dell laptop has a 1920 x 1200 15" display, and even though it's not as bright as current displays, the picture quality is tops. I was genuinely disappointed when displays (in general) shifted away from high densities. (I suspect from the "HD" revolution - needing formats to support viewing for 1080p, and obviously, production costs / yields) Quite a refreshing thought knowing that we're finally moving back in that direction again.

12. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I'm still doing most of my reading on the Kindle. It's lighter & is still the superior device when reading outside during the day. The iPad hasn't spoiled the Kindle at all for me. I do find myself using my laptop a lot less, though.

13. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

I had the same problem with the original iPad.

After upgrading to the iPhone 4S, the screen on the original iPad was far less attractive to me and all I really wanted was an iPad with a retina screen. It made the technology used to create the original iPad's look quite poor in comparison.

Now that I have the new iPad, the old one looks even more terrible and the same with other non-Apple digital devices. I'd love to see Apple go the full route, and upgrade the iPod Classic - which I still use everyday - to a full retina screen as well.

14. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol, your title was about to ruin my decision on getting an iPad (i want to use it as a e-reader) ... but then i read your post :p lolz

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

+1 Kindle all the way for ebooks. And the battery life is just amazing, sometimes I forget it its actually running on a battery....

----------

Love the screen..... though...

I have noticed that when I scroll up and down on articles there is lag in the refresh. Maybe lag is not the proper word, but it seems like the text bends as I scroll up and down, like the GPU is playing catchup.

On your iPad go to a page with heavy text, and scroll up and down relatively fast, does the text seem to bend as it goes up or down? This has kinda annoyed me when using it v ipad 1. When static though, its a huge improvement.

16. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Everything looks pixelated now...even my friends look pixelated. :p

17. homeboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I mosthly experience some slight lag when opening a game. However I expect all of this to be eeked out with an update or two.