All iPads The iPad 5 as a portable gaming device

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MartinAppleGuy, Oct 17, 2013.

1. MartinAppleGuy, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Earlier this year I was going to buy a PS Vita but found that only 2 or 3 games appeal to me (LBP, and maybe NFS and Assassins Creed/Killzone). I found the games that are already out on iPad beat the PS Vita (games like Minecraft PE, Deus Ex: The Fall, XCOM Enemy Unknown, CoD Strike Team, Modern Combat, Dead Trigger, Asphalt 8, Dead Space, GTA III, GTA Vice City...).

Upcoming games I am looking forward to for iPad are Modern Combat 5 (Q1 2014), a Deus Ex game that pushes the iPad 5 (Q2-3 2014), Dead Trigger 2 (a matter of days now)...

The actual performance of an iPhone 5S graphically is 10X more than that of the PS Vita (76.8Gflops for the 5S compared to 7Gflops on the Vita). If the iPad 5 gets the same jump as the iPhone 5S got from the iPhone 5; then the iPad 5 will be outputting at around 205Gflops (which is very likely with the G6630 GPU which the iPad 5 will get). To put that to comparison; a PS3's GPU outputs at around 174Gflops meaning the iPad 5 will overtake the PS3's GPU (and an Xbox 360's GPU is only 155Gflops)

I know that the iPad 5's A7X will not be as powerful as the PS3's 8 core 128bit/64bit processor (something like that) but games like Asphalt 8 are as near as dammit console quality at least in terms of graphics. And that game was made for last gen devices like the iPad 4 (76.8Gflops) and iPhone 5 (28.8Gflops). So just imagine what the iPad 5 could do when the GPU is actually greater than a PS3!

"Touch screen controls are crap!!!" I hear you say. Well I have found that playing any touch based game to work just great when first played for 20 minutes. If you give just a few minutes; you grow to the controls (well, customize them too) and they work just as well. But for some games; touch based controls just don't cut it and that is where iOS game controllers kick in. There is 3 different types of controller layouts, a form fitting controller without analogue sticks, a form fitting one with sticks, and a wireless one just like an Xbox controller. I am expecting a little part of the October Apple Event to show these of with the iPad 5's new power.

What do you think? Do you feel that an iPad 5 with a game controller will cater for your gaming needs? It will for mine :)

(PS-Apple iPad Event live coverage here: http://live.cnet.com/Event/CNETs_Apple_Oct_22_Event_Live_Blog )

2. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I have the ipad mini, the Vita and the new nexus 7. If the games you mentioned would support controllers, I would easily ditch my nexus 7 and get the ipad 5 for sure. The Vita has it's place for certain games I can't get on the ipad, such as Hotline Miami and Spelunky. I know iOS 7 has controller support built in but I don't see developers adding support yet.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I actually am pretty impressed with the iPad as a gaming platform. Most, not all, of the games Ive tried work great with the touch controls and it never gets old. FIFA 14 has been awesome.... just as good as any console version, IMO. Sure, a few game modes and features might be missing but the gaming experience is quite fulfilling. This goes for most types of games.

That being said.... the iPad is NOT great for all games types. Heavy-duty, real-time strategy games like Age of Empires or Baldurs Gate dont play nice with touch controls and never will. Some of the other high-end "ports" from PC to Iapd have also been pretty disappointing. However, there are a zillion great games for the iPad in manu genres and they all play just fine.

So, yeah, the Iapd IS a legitamite gaming platform, IMO.

4. MadJens macrumors member

There are many great games for iPad (or iOS for that matter). One of the best sites covering that is http://toucharcade.com . They do great and honest reviews of iOS games. E.g. XCOM Enemy Unknown seems to be a fantastic port from the other gaming platforms and definitely THE game i'm going to check out when buying the iPad 5.

What I love about iOS games is the simplicity of them and that you can play them for say 15 minutes and play on later. I feel like on console, although the games there have much better production values and are overall more polished (I'm thinking The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite), I have to spend at least an hour in one sitting just to get into the mood of the game and then further sessions in quick succession, otherwise I might not return to a game at all. iOS games are not at that point yet and rely more on the fun of game mechanics and gameplay which I really enjoy.

5. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

That is a good point. There is also the point that the iPad uses solid state backing storage allowing games to load in no time compared to loading them on a console. Compare the loading times of GTA Vice City on iOS and PS3 and you will actually feel the PS3 being quiet sluggish (from the download version on PSN loading from hard drive). I know that there is no point in comparing solid state to hard drive (as the end results as obvious) but it really helps iOS gaming. And as you said, iOS is great for playing a game for 15 minutes. But when people say this; most people think of games like Angry Birds or Temple Run and cower away from iOS gaming. But that is completely untrue. Again, the likes of GTA Vice City benefit with is "play for 15, go for 15" routine as when the game is closed completely(closed from multitasking too), then opened back up it is right where you left it. This kind of gameplay is great for the platform is is in no way limited to children's games like most think.

I personally am looking forward to 2014 as I feel it will be a great gaming year for iOS :)

6. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I love gaming on iOS, so much so I sold all my consoles...well actually I sold all my consoles years ago...but iOS got me back into gaming after a short stint with the Nintendo DS lite.

I'm a husband and father with young kids and certainly wouldn't have enough hours in the day to boot up consoles and PCs to play games for hours on end...this is where my iPad comes into play, I love the fact I can pick it up and thrash out a quick race or two on Asphalt 8 or throw a few fireballs on Street Fighter all whilst sitting on the sofa chilling with the missus watching her reality tv programs.:rolleyes: everyone one wins. Not to mention its the perfect companion when sitting on the throne:D. Try doing that with your xbox one or PS4.:p

I also don't think I'm missing out with not owning a true games consoles, touch controls are absolutely fine for me for now. But who knows maybe one day I'll buy myself a console but for now I'm good.:)

Me getting the iPad 5 is solely dependent on whether it will be jailbreakable.

7. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Totally agree :) Love Asphalt 8 as well. Is it just me or does that game really have console quality graphics.

Here is what I have been thinking; if Asphalt 8 was made for last gen (i.e iPhone 5 and iPad 4, not iPhone 5S and iPad 5), and is host to console graphics, imagine what current gen can do ( most notably the iPad 5). The actual numbers show that the iPhone 5 and iPad 4 are not close to current gen consoles (well, the iPad 4's GPU is actually half of a Xbox 360's) so with the iPad 5 that will actually have a better GPU that a ps3(the G6630 for the iPad 5 performs at around 205Gflops where as a Ps3 performs at 174Gflops) does this mean we could see ps4 level graphics?

Maybe not that far, but when we have ps3 level graphics with a iPad (4) that is less than half as powerful as a ps3, what can an iPad do when it is actually more powerful that a ps3?

I hope that we will see some sort of demo for the iPad on the 22nd event (maybe showcasing it with a controller too). The best bit about it is the demo will most probably shock us at how great it is at gaming; but won't technically be pushing the iPad 5 as it is ony a launch game! That means that what we see won't look nearly as good as what games will look like half way through 2014 that really push the iPad 5.

What I'm looking forward to is the next Deus Ex game for iOS. The first one was good; but with controller support, much better visuals, and maybe a longer story, it will be great :)

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

well said - that's exactly how i see it as well.
    to take it a step further, while some of the "high-production" games like Last of Us wouldn't be fun or even work on the iPad, i can't imagine sitting down on my couch and picking up a ps3 controller to play Where's my Water either...but i love the hell out of that game on my phone :)

so each to its purpose, right?

9. MadJens macrumors member

Exactly! :)

10. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I enjoy GTA Vice City on iOS more that on ps3. It looks better, loads faster, is cheaper and is much more portable.

Same goes for Deus Ex, XCOM, Minecraft...

11. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I used to only game on consoles, now I only game on the iPhone & iPad.

12. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Me too :)

My PS3 feels sluggish and last gen compaired to quite a few iOS games :)

13. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

crazy how far these games have come! i don't know how old you are but i can tell you my kids are spoiled!

of course they'll probably the same about their kids 30 years from now...

14. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I got into gaming at a young again when the PS2 first came out. I then was amazed at the jump to PS3 but I never had a lot of time to play on it so I moved to portable gaming. Started of with a PSP and after 5 years of that the PS Vita was revealed. I was highly tempted to get one sometime close after release. But after realising that there as only 1 or 2 games I would even play on it; I never got one(would only have played LBP and maybe Killzone). So I got an iPod Touch instead. I was amazed at the graphics that were possible on the iPod Touch and the prices of games were a million times better that anything I have ever seen on PSP or PS3. Then with the amount of high end games getting thrown into the App Store; I have decided to get an iPad 5 64Gb for release.

I really liked Deus Ex on PS3 (for as much as I played anyway) and I really cannot wait to play t on my iPad (controller or not). I especially can't wait for the next Deus Ex game on iOS (Deus Ex the fall is part one in a series); hope they add 2 hubs instead of one, more hours of gameplay (The Fall only take around 5 hours to complete once, but should be played through 3+times for all the different stories and gameplay and getting all the achievements takes you up to around 15-20 hours; I hope the next one will be 8 hours instead of 5 though) along with much better graphics for the iPhone 5S and iPad 5.

Other games like Dead Trigger 2 really look better than PS3 level in terms of graphics and the gameplay video was recorded using a Tegra 4 device (same perfromace as an iPad 4; one third the performs of an iPad 5 I guess). Really can't wait to see what game Apple use to show of the power of the iPad 5 (hopefully with controller gameplay too). Do you
    Have any guesses on what the game will be?

15. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

that's a good question, i have no clue. it was the racing game last time right? real racing i think it was called.

16. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Yeah; for the iPhone 5 they shown off Real Racing 3. My first guess was Dead Trigger 2 (as it's release date is the 22nd) but they are tied with NVidia so they wouldn't be showing it off on an Apple Event.

Really hope it is something breathtakingly good :)

17. gman901 macrumors 6502a

One thing that would make the iPad 5 super awesome for gaming if they did cloud saving for all games like Steam or PSN so you can continue playing on the iPhone when you are away from your iPad. It would also be awesome if developers added controller support to big games like Modern Combat 5. This game plays like a real FPS console when playing it with the Moga Pro controller. I'm hoping the Moga will work with games on the iPad 5. I plan on buying the 128 GB version.