The iPad as an Apple TV and gaming console?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MVApple, Feb 14, 2010.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

It seems this idea may be limited by the.current resolution output of 1024x768 but I wonder if Apple has thought about marketing the ipad as a gaming console with a Bluetooth controler. Are the graphics good enough to do that though?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It only has a 10" screen. It's not a 30" LCD display.

I'm sure the experience will be great for that size of device.

3. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I may be wrong but I think the OP meant why not plug the iPad into a TV to use as a console (a la PS3)?

I guess the main problem is the iPad doesn't support 16:9, so the display would be stretched or include borders at the sides...

Also it doesn't support HDMI out, only VGA, composite or component. But I guess the Wii gets away with this already!

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

ahh..Ok. My bad. you are right except the iPad does support 16:9. It crops the sides. That's how it does 720P I think.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

And it makes a little more sense now why Apple might want to put sensors into their standard remote, accelerometer etc.

6. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oops, sorry I wasn't clear, but yes I meant connecting this to a television. I understand that the actual display can not do 16:9 but I wonder if the iPad is capable of outputting in 16:9 in 480p, even though currently it isn't setup for that.

But how neat would it be to have a game that has a portable version optimized for the iPad with the main game being played through the output and that was intertwined with the portable section?

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Wouldn't it make more sense for Apple to push the games through a library on an ATV /Mac mini, to then use the ipad/iPhone/other as a controller?

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Apple.com is a great place to learn stuff.

• Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable
    • H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats