All iPads The iPad challenge! [CHALLENGE OVER]

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TechGod, Mar 22, 2014.

1. TechGod, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014

TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Hi guys, I have an iPad 2 with 7.1 and will be trying to use the iPad as my main computer for one week.

I have all the apps I may need so wish me luck I guess lol.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Do you plan on creating a new thread for each day?

3. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

He's likely going to change the title. Or at least, that's what he should do.

I'm interested in following your "experiment." Keep us posted!

4. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Folks have different ways to build their post count - seems so.:p

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

Actually if it's constructive with good info that's not a problem. OTOH if it's nothing more than Day 2, all is good then.................post whore :D

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

7. bpbatch, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

bpbatch macrumors member

••this post has been deleted by the author***

8. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Of course I'll only be changing the title. Creating a new thread for a new day would be stupid. So far so good, my accounting assignment which compromised of creating a budget for a family was successfully completed with pages and printed with AirPrint, my speed with the iPad keyboard is fast and the autocorrect is so far wonderful, while I far prefer my MacBook Pro's desktops feature ,4 finger swiping between apps will have to do for now, as expected the music app is perfectly fine running in the background while researching in safari.

I don't live in the US so if you see me change the tittle that will be because it will be day two for me and so on.

----------

I will certainly do that however I'm very busy with homework and assignments. I'm nearing University level and my workload from school has increased considerably.

9. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

My experiences with this challenge would probably far better with an iPad Air. I don't have that option though, using Pages and Drive app and it will sync with my MacBook fine so that's cool I guess.

10. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Not looking good. I enjoy my laptop far more and missing it quite a bit. I may give up by the end of day two.

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I'm not surprised. All the talk about iPads or any tablet being someone's only computer are just that....talk! It's just not going to happen unless ones usage is extremely basic and simple. I'm a online poker player so that right there forces me to hit the laptop. So does some games I play.

It's just not feasible for like 90% or more of the users out there. Enjoy the tablet for what it is. I sure do. But, I am not mistaking my tablet for a true computer. Nope.

12. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Looking forward to day three's post.

13. tthip macrumors member

This thread just reminded me: I do have computers.
    They rarely ever get touched.
    The iPad accomplishes 99% of everything we need in our house.

14. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

It will be interesting for sure. But day 2 hasn't even properly started yet, 1:16AM here, we will see as the day goes on.

15. Altis macrumors 68000

Good luck. I don't recommend forcing it, though. Many things can be done but the severe limitations make it a lot of extra work, and more time consuming.

It might be helpful to post the kinds of things you are doing, both successfully and not so much.

16. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Photo editing- Aperture wins.
    Pages-about the same since the keyboard is surprisingly good on the iPad.
    Safari- lack of RAM kills it.
    Chrome - Apple restricts Nitro engine to any 3rd party browser so out of the question.
    Gmail a ppt beautiful and functional for me.
    PDF Support- good reader app
    Music has to sync with iTunes.
    Screen sizes too small and the deal breaker.

17. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

II'm gonna go till day three and tell you every thing I had a problem with.

18. yinz macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised about the Pages comment. The iPad on screen keyboard is good, but without tactile feedback, it's pretty annoying to type. Especially when you want to multitask, like talk to someone or look at someone while you are jotting down your thoughts.

I suppose the Pages app is just really good. I've never used it, so I'm not familiar with it. It seems quite minimalist, yet functional.

Have you tried iPad's Spotify app for music. It's functionally the same as the Mac one and you get whatever music you want. The only down side is some commercials, but they have to make money some how...

19. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

To be honest I just download from you tube converter or iTunes, pages app. You would be (pleasantly) surprised. It's
    an excellent app and an intuitive interface.

The keyboard is something I'm starting to not like, I don't hate it but I prefer the MacBooks.

The biggest problem I am having is the screen size. It is just say too small to be used as a main computer plus I can't download from Safari unless its a PDF or word or image file which is annoying, also missing a USB slot to quickly move projects between my school computer and iPad so resorting to Google Drive which I'm liking because I can access every project I have as long as I have internet plus the Wolfram Alpha app is just pure useful.

I will return to my laptop by the end of the week though for that amazing keyboard and having desktops feature which made my workflow easier to manage on top of that the much bigger screen on my laptop seals the deal.

So far conclusion for this challenge, doable but not desirable.

20. Robster3 macrumors 68000

That's funny:p

----------

Can you do a tax invoice in Word for me then email it off, then print it, save it as a tax Invoice too.

thanks

21. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Wut? Word isn't available for iPad besides I myself am critising the lack of functionality on an iPad if you think I think the iPad is amazing at productivity.

22. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

It's not the lack of ram that kills Safari, it's the way it tries to preserve memory. Try Atomic Browser and open eight tabs. No refreshing.

I also made a $30 stand for my iPad (It was a scrap block wood I used. I can't believe companies try to sell a scrap block of wood with one or two cuts in it for $30 plus.) and a full sized wireless keyboard. (MS keyboard, $12, on clearance at Office Depot). Works great, but I still have an iMac and a company issued Win7Pro laptop.

23. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I was joking:) ipad is never going to replace a macbook for me anyway, although my parents in their late 60's got a iPad mini and don't use their pc anymore. It does everything they need.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I can download most any file types from Safari on my iPad. I think the key is to have an app like GoodReader or FileBrowser that handles any file type. Only thing is, there is no download progress indicator, and I'm afraid if I switch out of Safari or even switch to another tab, it'll interrupt the download. So I just stare at the page and hold my breath, lol. But I've managed to download quite a few files this way, including exe, zip, and dmg files.

Of course, you can also download files to your iPad by using GoodReader. That's a better method for larger files.

I don't often use the iPad to do serious work, mainly because the screen is too small, and positioning the cursor to select and edit text is a pain. But if I absolutely had to, I'm pretty sure I could do 99% of all my computer tasks on an iPad. For some of those tasks, I might need to purchase an app. But I think a lot of people who say iPad can't be used for serious work is thinking of what you can do with just the default apps. They don't realize that there are lots of apps out there that vastly expand the functionality of iPad.

25. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I use good reader. But I also need to run the program's I download and only my laptop can do that:p