The iPad from 1994

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jason2811, Apr 25, 2011.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

It's interesting how it says: "We'll still use the computer to create, but we'll use the tablet for consuming, watching, listening." Quite true I think.

Ams.

2. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

predictive indeed.

anyone miss the newton?

:)

3. Ommid macrumors 6502

Too young to remember lol. Quite a few on eBay these days.

4. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That's a vision of the future, that was pretty much nailed.

5. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Tablets have been around for years just nobody wanted them until Apple made them.

I can remember small tablet windows computers about 7" screen and I think they could be used for office and stuff but nobody wanted them. I can even remember the first gen windows phones that failed bad as they tired to put desktop in a phone. Course now they have tried again with Windows phone.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I wish we had tablet that big.

Back then they would of looked at the iPad and said, no, that's too small.

And I agree with them. For taking out and about, sure, it's fine, but for home use, I'd like a larger screen.

7. Ommid macrumors 6502

Where did this end up going? It seems that it is a spoof and too good to be true! lol. Pretty much an iPad with a stylus.

8. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

9. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I love the PowerBook Duo that he has docked with a Radius portrait display in the background of the interview.

10. Ommid macrumors 6502

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Fixed it for you.;)

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Nice concept video for the time.

Interesting how much the iPad resembles that tablet, with its rounded black bezel. Guess there really are just a few ways to do it.

1994. Back then, everyone was doing heavy future research. That's about when I was hired as a consultant to a major carrier to help figure out what the world would be like if they had "ubiquitous high bandwidth communications".

We actually nailed a lot of it. We predicted PDA phones (smartphones), interactive TV, and the ability to store all your vacation photos online... and simply point others to them instead of sending each photo to each recipient.

What we did not foresee, was the rise of dot coms offering ad based services. In other words, we thought that storage cost so much (100GB was like $100K back then, so was an MPEG encoder), that only companies the size of the phone carriers could afford to rent out data space to consumers. That rental was going to be their bread and butter. So much for that idea :rolleyes:

13. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Its pretty creepy how right they were about this.

14. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Do you think back then anyone would have thought someone like you would have such a good looking woman standing next to you in an avatar??

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Interesting how you can be so close on some things, and far on others.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    *laughing* No kidding, eh?

You reminded me of two other major mistaken predictions in our broadband prediction report:

1) We predicted that we'd all someday be vacationing using remote avatars... mobile robots stationed around the world that you could rent from home. Your face would appear to the native residents on a screen. We even envisioned robotic flying avatars so you could see the Alps from above, while sitting in your living room. How cool is that? Too bad it didn't happen.

2) We predicted that teledildonics (if you don't know the word, sound it out) would be just as huge as the vacation avatar above. This made the carrier executives a bit uncomfortable, shall we say. But hey, sex is usually the first user of new technologies.

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

They had to use a stylus on the tablet. Steve Jobs would not allow that! :D

18. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

ahhhh....Surrogates....just not sure if most people could mentally get over the fact that there could be a big, fat, ugly 60 year old man controlling that hot looking female avatar your about to do it with....well...maybe....

19. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I don't think that's out of the question, but just in the rather distant future if humanity survives long enough to evolve the technology. Not sure how "human" we'll be if we ever get that far, however.

Am I the only one slightly disturbed that there's actually a technical term for that sort of thing? :)

20. Kupp macrumors regular

That was very interesting, now where is my flying car?

21. AppleMacDudeG4 macrumors member

Interesting video

Thanks for linking the video. It was interesting to see how many things that they got correctly in terms of use. They were using a stylus so I guess the idea of using a touch screen had not occurred to them.

Also the idea of inserting a cartridge to get your local news was off since people would now just go to the internet to view their local paper or get an app designed by the newspaper company itself to take advantage of a tablet's special features.

Otherwise they did get quite a few things correctly. I just wish that my iPad could read the newspaper for me when I am driving. Maybe a future version of the iPad will be able to do that.

22. gecis macrumors regular

23. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502