The iPad Needs Hypercard

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by uraniumwilly, Jun 2, 2010.

1. uraniumwilly macrumors 6502

I did a search recently with "hypercard iPad" as the criteria, hoping that some conversation was underway that would be encouraging for those of us who want to create our own interactive content that combines graphics, audio, video, etc. for our own purposes. I found this:

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/03/the-ipad-needs-its-hypercard.html

I hope somebody swoops in to save the day.

2. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

My reading of the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement is that a third party couldn't implement anything like Hypercard, per the ban on scripting languages and any mechanism by which you could in any sense usurp the App Store, and the recent changes requiring that the originating language be C/C++, Objective-C or Javascript. So no Hypercard on the iPad, no Hypercard on the desktop that compiles to iPad.

With that in mind, probably the smart thing would be Hypercard for HTML 5?

3. uraniumwilly thread starter macrumors 6502

You obviously have an insiders perspective as well as technical perspective, and that's very helpful. I'm not equipped to ponder the HTML 5 question, but thanks for clarifying the issue.

Filemaker's Bento seems to be one sort of attempt. At least it's got some database features.

I enjoy my pad, but it's nothing compared to the use I would get out of it with deep customization.