Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA

Because the 10.5 is garbage speed wise , i would take the 11 all day long video editing.

Sure, the iPad Pro 11” is great and all.. But, that doesn’t mean the iPad Pro 10.5” isn’t just as good in someone else’s eyes. Either of these devices are plenty fast for anyone’s iPad’n needs.

A lot of people still own, or maybe just now buying a 10.5” iPad Pro because of the recent price drop. I assure you a iPad 10.5” is not slow.

Reactions: kristalsoldier

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Doesn't work for me. The only time the space bar acts like a home button seems to be from the welcome screen.
Yes that’s what I mean. This is not possible on the 2nd gen iPad Pros.

Because the 10.5 is garbage speed wise , i would take the 11 all day long video editing.
Sure, the iPad Pro 11” is great and all.. But, that doesn’t mean the iPad Pro 10.5” isn’t just as good in someone else’s eyes. Either of these devices are plenty fast for anyone’s iPad’n needs.

A lot of people still own, or maybe just now buying a 10.5” iPad Pro because of the recent price drop. I assure you a iPad 10.5” is not slow.​
You already know this but I’ll post it for the others here:

Video encoding in apps like LumaFusion is hardware accelerated anyway. Speed is actually quite good on the second gen iPad Pro. The 11” usually isn’t much faster for rendering in LumaFusion it seems from the reviews I’ve been reading in this specific situation.

By the way, I bought the app just for editing kid videos and just for a lark I loaded in three 4Kp30 HEVC h.265 (yes h.265, not h.264) videos from the iPhone, added some effects, layered them for simultaneous display. The 2nd gen Pro played it at real-time completely smoothly.

Sure, the 11” would be better overall, but the combination of the 10.5” Pro’s A10X with LumaFusion is already excellent.

The A12X is an amazing chip, but A10X is already a beast for hardware video rendering. That project above renders in near real time for 4K output regardless if I choose h.264 or h.265.

Last edited:

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
So for all the people who are using iPad Pro 2nd gens right now, are you guys gonna buy or upgrade to 3rd gen iPad pro’s when the 4th gens come out, after a price drop?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So for all the people who are using iPad Pro 2nd gens right now, are you guys gonna buy or upgrade to 3rd gen iPad pro’s when the 4th gens come out, after a price drop?
I’m gonna upgrade when I can get 6 GB RAM standard in a 256 GB model, a reinforced chassis, and an updated screen that not susceptible to the bug that makes it unresponsive. ;)

Actually, that probably won’t be the 4th gen. Maybe 5th gen. I figure 4th Gen will be released in 2020, and 5th gen will be released in 2022. Unless this 10.5” Pro dies or gets the dreaded white spot, I’ll probably keep it until 2022 or longer as it already does what I need it to do... except properly support an external drive or a mouse, but the 3rd gen doesn’t support that either. Here’s hoping for iOS 13.

BTW, by that time my MacBook will be 5 years old, as I bought that in 2017. Given that I already have 16 GB in it and the 256 GB storage is more than I need, I don’t see myself upgrading the laptop in 2022. I likely won’t upgrade my 2017 iMac either. Just the iPad Pro.

Last edited:

burts

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2015
Is anyone annoyed with no home button? I know theres a virtual one but im a the old pro 9.7 and i use that button a ton

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I've had the 11 for a few months now and I am still blown away by how much better the iPad experience is with this version over anything prior.

I’ve owned the 1, 2, 3, 4, Air, Air 2, and 10.5 Pro. The 11 puts them all to shame.

Yeah sure, more is more, and the 12.9 is awesome too, but typing with it for me was a chore.

The size, ergonomics, weight and usability of the 11 ticks every box and then some. This really is what the iPad should have always been. The iPad we always wanted.

My one complaint is that because it’s so good, I use it a lot, and the battery needs charging more often than I wish it did.

Totally agree. Have had my 11” for a few months now & absolutely love it. Best ipad i have ever owned. Edit all my drone & gopro videos on it. This thing kicks serious ass. Plus the Apple pencil 2 is a joy to use. Not only for drawing but note taking which i never did before on an ipad. The 11” with it’s new aspect ratio is the perfect size for hand holding and watching media on as well as typing.

I use the 11” along with my ipad mini 2. It’s the perfect combo. I grab the mini when i just want to leave the house with minimal stuff. It fits right in my cargo pants pocket. I plan to update it to the iPad mini 5. My only wish is that the new mini got the flat edged design of the pros so i could use the same pencil & share the same charging cable. Plus face ID has really spoiled me.

Reactions: Oohara

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Is anyone annoyed with no home button? I know theres a virtual one but im a the old pro 9.7 and i use that button a ton
I love the iPhone SE and iPad Mini, including the home button, but don't miss it much as it is easy enough to swipe up from where it usually is rather than press it, although it wouldn't have killed them to make that line a virtual home bar just a few pixels higher.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013

I really don’t know. As of now the 10.5 seems fine for the next 18 months. Moreover, it would probably be good on my part to wait and see what further rationalisations Apple brings to both the iPad design and to iOS.

Plus, I just bought some additional accessories for my current iPad though it is of 2017 vintage.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011

No, it’s 2019 get with it.

Haha jk. Joking aside I really hate the button when I have to test apps on older devices or using an older iPhone for international use.

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
[doublepost=1554290666][/doublepost]If you are on the fence between the new Air and the pro, I’d suggest the pro. Both are wonderful devices, but knowing you have everything Apple offers in the pro definitely future proofs this device not leaving you thinking you have left a little RAM on the table or don’t have quite the CPU.
At least if you do not mind the 60% price increase of the (base model 64GB/WiFi) 11” Pro over the Air 3 . :) With 256GB/WiFi the difference goes down to 46%. I plan to upgrade in 12 to 18 months to maybe the then current 11” Pro model. My Air 3 then will be a hand down to my son replacing his Air 2.

I can only speak from my experience with the iPhone XR. I do not miss the home button. I usually give my older devices to my two kids. My old iPad Air 2 is in good shape, only the home button feels a bit odd/squishy. What do you use the home button for? Maybe there now is a gesture for your use case.

Last edited:

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I went from the 10.5 (which is/was superb) to a 12.9. Not looked back, fantastic device. I had a gen 1 12.9 previously and it was just too big but the new one is perfect. The 11 was too close to the 10.5 but a new resolution so I didn’t want to deal with apps not fitting correctly and I did miss the larger display but not bulk of the 12.9. My wife was happy too as she got the 10.5 and pencil.
[doublepost=1554538836][/doublepost]

After using the iPhone X and Face ID I longed for an iPad without a button, it annoyed me having to press it on the iPad having become accustomed to using Face ID. Another benefit of the new pro iPads.

Reactions: Pipper99

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It's great, but a common App I use (YouTube) doesn’t look it’s best thanks to Apple/Google not playing nicely...real bummer that I can’t watch YouTube at it’s best on this great screen.

glhaynes

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I just wish the space bar worked as a home button when not typing. It really should.

Just on the chance that anyone doesn’t know: command-H takes you back to the home screen. Nicely mirrors macOS’s command-H to hide the foreground app.

Also, command-space brings up Spotlight from anywhere, not just the home screen. Then you can drag apps out of the search results to do multitasking.

I constantly use both of these when I’m using my iPad Pro as a laptop.

Reactions: LiveM

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Just on the chance that anyone doesn’t know: command-H takes you back to the home screen. Nicely mirrors macOS’s command-H to hide the foreground app.

Also, command-space brings up Spotlight from anywhere, not just the home screen. Then you can drag apps out of the search results to do multitasking.

I constantly use both of these when I’m using my iPad Pro as a laptop.
Another one I like is CMD-TAB to cycle between applications as desired.

Press and hold CMD to get the list of shortcuts available. This shortcut list changes depending upon context. For example, in Safari, CMD-T creates a new tab, whereas CMD-N creates a new page with split screen. CTRL-TAB cycles between the tabs in Safari.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada

A lot of people still own, or maybe just now buying a 10.5” iPad Pro because of the recent price drop. I assure you a iPad 10.5” is not slow.

Putting good money after bad......

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I’ve had my 11” for a week now. It’s the best tablet I’ve ever had.
Far smoother than even when my gen. 1 12.9” iPad Pro was brand new. I’m sure the 120Hz screen has tons to do with it, but it’s impressive how responsive this iPad is even in apps that are normally dog-slow on iPads, like OneNote (which I use a lot).

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I decided to sell my 10.5 while I could still get a decent price for it. The market value for it is only going to get worse as time goes on. In the back of my mind I was also concerned about the likelihood of the dreaded white spot. I already had my launch model replaced for that issue and my AppleCare was going to expire in July. I had originally purchased and retuned the 11 back in Nov. I wasn't blown away by it's performance initially. However, It seems that many Apps have been optimized since then. Procreate is lightning fast when opening and importing files. The 10.5 wasn't ridiculously slow, but I did notice a major difference. Overall I feel more comfortable that I made a good decision this time around. Sometimes it's better to wait.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
This is my first Apple Pencil and I am disappointed that it is nowhere near as realistic in terms of feel as my Wacom Feel stylus on my Surface Pro 1 (the one with the Wacom digitiser). It feels like it needs more friction and some suspension.

This I find hard to relate to. I had a Surface Pro 1 with all manner of styli, and additional Surface devices after. Maybe the tip on glass feel was better on those devices, but the offset and parallax were alway so terrible that it never felt in any way like I was using a real pen. The first time I used an Apple Pencil I knew I had to have it because it felt exactly how it should (other than the need for a tiny bit more drag on the glass).

Not at all. In fact the home button now feels kind of archaic on my iPhone 7. And the unequal bezels even more so.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
It is very good, but is it really that much different or better from a 10.5”? I don’t think so.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Most of the advances of the 11” are seemingly small, but somehow come together to make for a much more pleasing device to use. The Pencil feels better in hand, and is of course much more convenient to charge and store. The Smart Keyboard is rid of the awkward bump on the front and much easier to snap into typing position without any origami folding. The screen, with no large bezels on any edge, feels much more immersive. Functionally none of these are meaningfully different than the previous Pro models, but it significantly changes how the device feels to use day in and day out.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I love my iPad Pro, definitely worth upgrading from the 9.7” Pro I used to have. The speed on the 11”, promotion, True Tone, Face ID, and so much more. I’m super excited for Apple Arcade this fall because playing games that take advantage of the display and the chipset on this ting is going to be awesome I think.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
Been using my new iPad pro 11 over the weekend for my basic tasks, browsing, mail, some light photo editing.

I'd spent a while researching if the iPad could suit my needs as my MacBook Air replacement for most of my tasks. During the first couple of hours I had my doubts and wondered if this had been the right move.

After using the device intensively for a few days, the experience has been great. I thought I would have a though time using the virtual keyboard, turns out it's fine.

I rely heavily on the cloud and don't use much of the internal storage at this point. I thought about the 64Gb version but since I intend to use this device for a while I went with 256Gb, I'm confident I won't regret this as will be editing more and more videos.

Overall I'm finding as expected that I need to rethink the way I do my daily tasks. I'm positively surprised by how easy the his has been.

Reactions: glhaynes

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
There is also the possibility of getting a SmartKeyboard if you ever get annoyed by the virtual Keyboard.

I tried the keyboard in my local store and liked the feeling. I will hold back for the time being since I use my iPad mainly from my couch and am not sure the keyboard is well suited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.