The iPad Pro 12.9 screen is rather bad..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by scaramoosh, Jul 23, 2016.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

Does no one notice how bad the latency is on it? On fast moving images (such as video lol) I just see a constant smearing like the response time is 100ms or something. I took it back to the store, I watch a few others and they all do it, you cannot enjoy video on it because it's just so bad. I can compare it to my monitor or phone and the iPad Pro 12.9 is just way behind.

It's at the point now where I just cannot watch video on it, I just end up feeling sick.

It's **** to put it lightly.

2. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

Mine seems fine to me. I've watched quite a few movies and tv shows on it.

3. Fozziebear71 macrumors regular

Fozziebear71

My wife and I each have the 12.9 iPad Pro and neither of us have noticed any issues with the screen. I regularly watch YouTube and Netflix on it without issue.

4. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

I watch loads of video on it with no 'lag' or smearing. You aren't using it in a freezer are you? Maybe you should have gone to spec savers.

5. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

This occurs on both the larger pro and smaller pro...its due to variable refresh rate but its hardly noticeable in my opinion...if its that noticeable maybe you had a lemon cuz almost anything with video works flawlessly on the larger pro...

6. Swashbuckle Dom macrumors newbie

Swashbuckle Dom

12.9" here and must say I've never experienced this. Screen's great with all media. Excellent picture watching video of all kinds.

7. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Have to say my 12.9 also looks fine with video from multiple sources (YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, iTunes).

8. bensisko macrumors 65816

I don't see that at all - the 12.9" Pro is an amazing screen to watch video on for me.

9. Rocket Man macrumors member

Just fired up Edge of Tomorrow on the 12.9 and even the fast action scenes look 'lag or ghosting' free...
    Not sure if your units are defective or if your video source is... *hit. Care to tell us what you were watching for reference?

10. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

No complaints with mine but you may have super human eyes. I hope you use your powers for good.

11. minicard macrumors regular

minicard

Could be slow internet connection. No problem to report here.

12. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Just got mine 12.9 and no..no latency. You sure you weren't just seeing things?

13. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

The 12.9 Pro and 9.7 Pros are the first iPads to ship with incredibly advanced displays and a Variable Refresh rate chip that manages it. Also some of us like myself are more sensitive and can notice even the slightest imperfection others can not. I will say that on my 9.7 Pro I notice some Ghosting or Trailing of text but never movies. Why ? Because Apple knows when the display needs to be pushed faster. We don't drive our cars by flooring the gas all the time. Same with the iPad Pros display does not need to be at max refresh rates when reading emails. If necessary Apple can issue a software update and correct things by pushing the refresh rates faster at the cost of battery life.

Try this take your iPad to an Apple Store do a side by side see if that helps you notice a difference. Also do complete factory hard reset that may get that Variable refresh rate chip up to speed. Buy or rent a movie from the Apple Store those really push the display to its max.

There is no excuse why there should be trailing or smearing of videos or movies that's is unacceptable for an HDTV of any brand. Smearing or blurry text I have seen on PC monitors costing $300 to monitors costing $11,000 in surgical rooms which must have zero latency or blurring and many in between.
    https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-medicalproducts/cat-medicalmonitors/product-LMDX310MD/

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would guess you are over sensitive as most, including I, are quite happy with our 12.9.

Judging from your past started posts, in these forums, not too much is acceptable to you.

15. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

In all fairness, I glanced at his/her previous posts and they're not all disparaging. There's even some commendable self-deprecating honesty in this one: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/so-many-complaints-about-the-apple-watch-but.1971621/

And I quote...

Might explain the 'blurry' video? ;)

16. Mockenrue macrumors 6502

Some visual effects and artifacts are perceived differently or not at all by some viewers. For example, film judder from 24Hz sources shown on 60Hz TV channels is so jarringly bad for me that it can make me feel nauseated during panning scenes. Same with smearing on certain British TV shows (maybe artifacts from 50Hz sources?). When I asked my wife during particularly bad examples of both, she couldn't see them at all.

I don't have a 12" iPad Pro, but it's possible that some people are perceiving smearing and others are not with the same hardware.

17. Rocket Man macrumors member

Could this be a case of 'panel lottery' in that some may have the 'better' sourced LCD's?
    Nah... Apple would never do that! :D

18. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Mine is great, no latency or lagging issues to report so far, but... I can see shades of colors on mine that most others don't... Sweet! I have a superpower! ;)