iPad The iPad Pro... anyone else want it to work with a mouse?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Turnpike, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Turnpike macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I know it's probably more of a software thing than a hardware thing, but everyone is making such a fuss over the idea of a Stylus to be used with the iPad Pro... why aren't people asking for a mouse?

I browse online a LOT, and the only reason I still use a desktop (and even a Surface 3 Pro) is because I can use the mouse. I am fine with many things on the iPad as it is, but it's the mouse that really makes my browsing faster and more efficient... and even if it's only by a little bit, after 8-12 hours a day that really adds up. I could almost eliminate everything else I have by way of computers and use just an iPad if I could use the mouse to browse web pages, click to save, highlight, etc...

Isn't this more of a common wish than a stylus?

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

It is, i would like to use it with an apple magic trackpad. Would you agree that apple should make their ipad pro like the surface three. I really want a computer on the go.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

It defeats the purpose of owning an iPad in the first place. You don't need a flat surface for a pen to work.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think all that should be doable with a stylus -- just needs a button on the stylus to act as a right click.

I think carrying around a mouse with a tablet lessens portability too much, and defeats the purpose of a tablet. You have to prop up the tablet somewhere so you can maneuvere the mouse. Might as well have a laptop then.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Whenever I use my iPad with my ClamCase I always reach for the trackpad. :eek:

Yeah, it would be nice to have the ability to use both a mouse and trackpad.

6. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Well, the idea itself sounds convenient or efficient. Like when I am using a keyboard cover in class sometimes it would be easier to use a small mouse instead of reaching up at the screen. However, I worry that enabling mouse input could cause a division in app development where some are optimized for mouth input and others for touch. That kind of fragmentation for input priority would undermine the very principle of an iPad.

7. Turnpike thread starter macrumors 6502

Turnpike

I don't mean changing the way an iPad is used, just as an extra option, so it can ALSO be used to browse with a mouse and a browser... I think (especially with the iPad Pro) it would really be a great option to carrying around a laptop... Sure, an iPad with a mouse is less convenient to carry around than just an iPad, but in that case the mouse is an option. An iPad with a mouse is much easier to carry than any laptop (also with a mouse, since I always carry the mouse...) and that's what I mean.

And iPad without a mouse is an awesome thing, but an iPad with a mouse is a nicer combo than a laptop would be.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are you saying there are websites where long press to save and highlight don't work? Or are you saying that using a mouse would be easier than long press?

9. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

A mouse, and a keyboard. And a 60 W charger. And full OS X environment and...

Wait, this sounds familiar.

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

iPad Air 4 to replace MacBook Air in 2016?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I like having the two devices separate. When I want to use a mouse or trackpad I can reach for my Mac with OS and apps optimized for that kind of input. When I want a touchscreen I can reach for my iPad Pro and get an experience made especially for touchscreen.

It would be a lot of work to properly implement a mouse cursor into iOS. Even if they succeed I'm sure it would still be much less enjoyable compared to using a desktop-style OS like OS X.

12. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I can't believe there isn't enough support already. What I'm hoping is that the iPad pro and 12" retina MacBook are one in the same and we get a surface like device

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yes, good point. I dunno, just not sold on the idea of a mouse with an iPad. At that point it becomes just another type of macbook, doesn't it? Then you'd have to carry around a mouse too. Nah.

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not at all. A pen works fine.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

To me, it seems like the trackpad and the iPad screen accomplish the same thing. Personally, I would rather just touch whatever I want to select on the screen than have to use a mouse or trackpad.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Having spent extensive time with a notebook equipped with a touchscreen, and an iPad+BT keyboard, I've come to the conclusion that for me, a physical keyboard and touchscreen is a poor combination.

If I'm using a physical keyboard, then a trackpad, trackpoint, or mouse offers a better flow. As a touch typist moving 1 finger half an inch (to access a trackpoint), or moving 1 hand a few inches to access a trackpad, or moving 1 hand a few more inches to use a mouse is far more preferable than reaching up to touch the screen where my hand can obscure my view of what I'm trying to access.

To swipe and copy a particular section of text on the iPad requires multiple touch interactions to get the start and end points and an additional touch to copy to the clipboard. The higher accuracy of a pointing device makes that operation less distracting.

17. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Sure, but when you're typing on a physical keyboard, and you're used to having a trackpad, it's just something you reach for. I don't mind touching the screen, but I'd rather not move my hands back and forth.

At least for gestures. Although using a mouse with bluetooth with the jailbreak worked fine.

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You both make good points.

I was speaking more to those who have may want to use a mouse or trackpad with the iPad, without a keyboard. For my uses, I would rather keep my MBP as a device to use if I need to do a lot of editing, etc. My iPad is more of a consumption device, although I have used it to type small documents in the past with a keyboard.

To me, it seems that a BT mouse would be a better "upgrade" on an iPad than the trackpad. I feel like I can be more precise with a mouse. Granted, that may be because I have been using a mouse as long as they have been around and I have only been using a track pad for a few years. :)

19. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Would love to use with track pad or wireless keyboard!

20. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I'm in the same boat. I like having a large tablet (which is the reason why I got the iPad 2 and now the iPad Air 2), but I also need a proper keyboard with useful input/output systems, such as a full-scale keyboard, a mouse, several USB3 ports. It's not even because I must have a fully fledged computer on the go, but because I would like to cut down on the number of devices and other clutter in my life.

If MS or Apple come out with a product that meets these needs, I'll jump on their boat. The current Surface doesn't do the trick, but goes at least fundamentally in the right direction. I'd generally prefer to get a hybrid device from Apple, though.

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Not at all. iOS is Apple's touch OS. OS X is Apple's mouse and keyboard OS. The End!

22. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

NO ITS NOT THE END! But...but...I want a keyboard and mouse, and a hybrid OS.....and , and , and.

Anybody want this garbage now go get a surface and have fun!

23. Altis macrumors 68000

How is wanting a precision pointer (great for highlighting text and fine detail work) or a keyboard that doesn't occupy 2/3 of the screen and has actual feeling "garbage"?

24. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Pages on iPad would be improved so dramatically by bluetooth mouse support that I would probably switch to it as my primary word processor for school.

25. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

If it had better software support, that would be a decent choice.