iPad Pro The iPad Pro is Boss!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ghsNick, Mar 25, 2016.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Wow!

I just pulled the trigger on the 128gb iPad Pro and I'm seriously impressed. I got a great deal on it for $799 (saved $150) then had another $55 Best Buy Certificate so I ended up paying $796 after taxes.

I thought this thing would be massive and heavy but I can't believe how light it is. I got the Smart Keyboard and it types great - but I definitely have to remove it if I'm using this thing with one hand (only downside).

I had the 12inch MacBook but the screen was a bit too small for my liking and this certainly fits the bill. I didn't get the pen yet, but I may depending on how I feel on this after a week.

For The Future -

The only thing I think they could do is make the top and bottom bezel a little smaller and add 3D Touch. I'm glad I went with the 12.9 because I feel better knowing it's future-proofed a little longer with the 4gb of RAM ;) (still scarred after the whole iPad 3 debacle).

Anyone have good advice on a screen protector (if they use one) or any other accessories that are a must?

2. harrypham macrumors member

Me too. I picked 12.9" instead of 9.7" because the size and I still own my Air 2 128GB LTE.

Several days ago, I purchased an iPad Pro 12.9 128GB Wifi only from Bestbuy for $865 including sale tax. Today, I just purchased an iPad Pro 12.9 128GB Cellular from Bhphoto.com for $949 with NO sale tax.
    If I purchased an iPad Pro 9.7 128GB Cellular from Apple store or bestbuy, I would have to pay $952 including sale tax.

Therefore, the 9.7" is relatively more expensive than the 12.9".

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Only issue I noticed is videos are NOT full screen. In Apple's video for the iPad Pro they show Interstellar as showing up full screen...I have Interstellar in HD and half the screen is filled with black bars on the top and bottom.

4. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I believe there is a button your can press which will make the video fill out the whole screen, but then the sides get chopped off. It's because the iPad screen is a 4:3 ratio, but movies are 16:9. So with movies the MacBook screens are actually a better ratio. But for web browsing and other apps, you will appreciate the extra height when in landscape mode and the extra width when in portrait mode.

5. joeblow7777, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

joeblow7777 macrumors 601

That's as full screen as you're going to get without having the sides cut off. iPads have a 4:3 aspect ratio display, which I think is better for most web pages and many productivity apps, but films are done in widescreen, 16:9.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think if you double tap on the video, it'll switch aspect ratio to fill up the screen. But the parts of the film at the very ends of the rectangle will get cut off, of course.

Oh, and this happens with any iPad, since they are all 4:3 ratio.

7. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Here's mine with my new ZooGue. Love it.

Attached Files:

8. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

Congrats. I just got home from Best Buy with a 32gb pro that was an open box for $573. I guess I have never even bothered to look at a Pro before as I was super surprised as the size difference side by side with an Air 2 in the store but even more surprise how light it was. Can't wait to put it through the paces this weekend.

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Well that kind of sucks lol. Basically I saw more video on my 12inch MacBook than I currently do on the iPad Pro...I'll have to mess around with it for a couple days to see if I like it. Damn aspect ratio's ;)

This image is definitely fake though! Ha

Attached Files:

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nah, that's about what you get when you zoom in to a movie. Not sure if that exact screen shot is actually from a movie, as it's likely photoshopped.

11. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

That movie is the Martian. Here's what it looks like on mine haha.

Attached Files:

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Yeah, the image is just cropped. Think of how wide a cinema screen is. You'd be missing a lot on the sides if you watched the video like that on an iPad.

13. Night Spring, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Double tap on the video while the movie is playing, and it'll zoom in like it is in the picture from Apple.

Same screen from movie, one zoomed in, one zoomed out.

image (1).jpg image (2).jpg

14. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Does anyone know why Apple would go with a 4:3 aspect when so many people watch movies as well as youtube vids?
    I am planning on getting the iPP mostly for the screen size fro watching movies. I am a trucker and currently using my mbp, but it is getting quite old and I'm worried that the hard drive could crash while i'm out here.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

4:3 is better for viewing documents and web pages.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Actually, more like 2.35:1 or 21:9 for new movies. It's HDTV that's 1.78:1 or 16:9.

I agree though, 4:3 is better for documents (e.g. letter/A4 PDF) and web pages. Primary productivity app I use is Excel so I prefer widescreen for that.

17. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Also is there a reason that Apple removed the split keyboard when using it vertically?

18. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Probably because watching videos is only one of many things people do on an iPad.

For example, I mirror my iPad to the class whiteboard, and am glad because the whiteboard is a 4:3 aspect ratio, back from the VGA days. So everything is displayed perfectly without letter boxing or the sides spilling out of the screen.

19. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

What and where is this one song? I haven't downloaded a single song and I'm going crazy looking for it?!

Attached Files:

20. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

It could be a ringtone that you downloaded. I think it would count that as a song.

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Exactly. The only video that is reliably in 16:9 are new TV shows. So for anyone watching things other than that, they'll have to deal with letterboxing and pillarboxing anyways.

Another reason for not going 16:9 in tablets is that they are too narrow in portrait mode to hold and too wide in landscape.

22. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Agreed. I've used 16:9 tablets and for the 10" ones, they're not balanced and feel like they're in danger of tipping over. iPad's more squarish 4:3 aspect ratio works better for balance.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Good point. Surface is more awkward to hold than the iPad because it's taller and narrower. Also, I don't like the iPhone 6/6s+ for the same reason. I wish Apple would make them 4:3 like the iPads.

24. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Because if they made iPads for movies alone, they'd look like this, which would be useless for pretty much everything else, including all the things professionals do with their iPad "Pro"s.

[​IMG]

25. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Thank you. You are correct, and now I can see the difference.