Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Spot on. I have a 12.9in 2018 iPad Pro. The new M4 iPad Pro would allow me to do nothing more. Absolutely nothing. And given the rumours (or lack of), I suspect we aren't getting much for iPad OS at WWDC. As soon as proper windowing, file management, etc come to the iPad I will drop £1,500 on a new one. Until then, my 2018 iPad is doing just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Now how is iPadOS awful? I don't get it. I have so many apps that only iPadOS can use, it's not funny. Neither Windows, or MacOS have touch optimized apps like iPadOS. Windows more than MacOS, which has zero, but Windows is very weak this way. Android, don't even go there.

You get these zealots who want MacOS on the iPad. I get that, but please... I DO think Apple should allow Windows emulation. No reason why that isn't happening, considering Arm Windows is touch-able, and works ok on Mac OS.

There's no excuse for that.

Then again, just having shelled out $1700 for this, I get a little defensive :D I do get the need to justify NOT spending money though. There's that :)

Last edited:

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Now how is iPadOS awful? I don't get it. I have so many apps that only iPadOS can use, it's not funny. Neither Windows, or MacOS have touch optimized apps like iPadOS. Windows more than MacOS, which has zero, but Windows is very weak this way. Android, don't even go there.

I agree ipadOS is fine as a tablet (touch) OS, but I think the complaints are partly coming from Apple’s somewhat unclear positioning of the iPad Pro as a potential laptop replacement.

I think people have a point: there are many ways in which ipadOS is much more restrictive than a desktop platform: Apps can only operate in a walled garden (both their distribution and execution), access to the hardware is more limited, access to the file system is more limited, ability to automate tasks is more limited, ability to multitask is more limited, and the list goes on. If Apple doesn’t think those things are suitable for an iPad it is fine, but then I would agree with others that their marketing (and arguably pricing) is misrepresenting the device capabilities.

Having said that I don’t think people asking for macOS are being realistic. In its current form, macOS simply isn’t designed for a tablet form factor so the switch between tablet mode and “laptop” mode would be a very poor UX (basically 2 different OSs). IMO the more “Pro” feature set should rather come from an expansion of ipad OS which would be closing the feature gaps with macOS while taking into consideration the hybrid laptop/tablet experience which Apple is trying to sell and allow for seamless switching between the two modes.

Last edited:

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I agree ipadOS is fine as a tablet (touch) OS, but I think the complaints are partly coming from Apple’s somewhat unclear positioning of the iPad Pro as a potential laptop replacement.

I think people have a point: there my way in which ipadOS is much more restrictive than a desktop platform: Apps can only operate in a walled garden (both their distribution and execution), access to the hardware is more limited, access to the file system is more limited, ability to automate tasks is more limited, ability to multitask is more limited, and the list goes on. If Apple doesn’t think those things are suitable for an iPad it is fine, but then I would agree with others that their marketing (and arguably pricing) is misrepresenting the device.

Having said that I don’t think people asking for macOS are being realistic. In its current form, macOS simply isn’t designed for a tablet form factor so the switch between tablet mode and “laptop” mode would be a very poor UX (basically 2 different OSs). IMO the more “Pro” feature set should rather come from an expansion of ipad OS which would be closing the gaps with macOS while taking into consideration the hybrid laptop/tablet experience which Apple is trying to sell and allowimy for seamless switching between the two.
Spot on, Sir. Well said. Mac OS is definitely unrealistic for Apple, but its key features should come across. This is what i'm hoping for, and waiting for, before I upgrade from my 2018 iPP. I refuse to drop £1.3k+ on an iPad that cannot do any more than my 6 year old iPad.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
You guys who want iPad to be (more) like MacBook, why don’t you just use MacBook? I mean seriously :) You guys want it to have keyboard, trackpad and MacOS… isn’t that like… MacBook Air? Perhaps what you really want is MacBook with touchscreen and pencil support. Like form factor of a MacBook Air but like 2in1? Those things seem to be terrible at least on Windows side of things. Maybe PC makers just don’t know how to do it properly but Apple would make good 2in1?

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Now how is iPadOS awful? I don't get it. I have so many apps that only iPadOS can use, it's not funny.
I have photography apps such as Topaz that don't work on iPad OS so I stick to my iMac.

I doubt they will ever put MacOs on iPad - it would eat into the sales of MacBooks. Can't allow that!

Everyone's use case is different.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
You guys who want iPad to be (more) like MacBook, why don’t you just use MacBook? I mean seriously :) You guys want it to have keyboard, trackpad and MacOS… isn’t that like… MacBook Air? Perhaps what you really want is MacBook with touchscreen and pencil support. Like form factor of a MacBook Air but like 2in1? Those things seem to be terrible at least on Windows side of things. Maybe PC makers just don’t know how to do it properly but Apple would make good 2in1?
For casual use like browsing the internet on the sofa and watching things, the iPad is the perfect device. But given its power, price and size (for the 13in version), I want it to do more. But I can't do anything serious given the current state of iPad OS. Even with a mouse (the pointer on iPad is also horrible) and keyboard, I find using Pages on iPad subpar versus a Mac, even though the screen size can be the same. The software just sucks in general. iPad apps are gimped, be it menus, layout, file access or otherwise. A hybrid would be nice for casual use and light work, but it won't happen. As you say, the windows attempts were terrible. Maybe for good reason, but maybe Apple could do it better. I may try out a cheap MBA 13in M3 and see if I miss the touch screen.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
For casual use like browsing the internet on the sofa and watching things, the iPad is the perfect device. But given its power, price and size (for the 13in version), I want it to do more. But I can't do anything serious given the current state of iPad OS. Even with a mouse (the pointer on iPad is also horrible) and keyboard, I find using Pages on iPad subpar versus a Mac, even though the screen size can be the same. The software just sucks in general. iPad apps are gimped, be it menus, layout, file access or otherwise. A hybrid would be nice for casual use and light work, but it won't happen. As you say, the windows attempts were terrible. Maybe for good reason, but maybe Apple could do it better. I may try out a cheap MBA 13in M3 and see if I miss the touch screen.
I understand. I have MacBook for work and most basic iPad for ‘sofa’. Two separate devices but both excellent for their use cases.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
It has absolutely class leading specs with the M4, OLED screen etc, but just massively held back by iPad OS. Those that want to use Lightroom, Final cut Pro etc have all the performance they need, so there is that, but it just does not have the Utility and flexibility of Mac OS, or some kind of forked version of it.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
This thing will flop hard unless they pull a 180 degrees with the OS for it , this thing has so much horsepower but no utility.

Ok. I'll entertain this notion. I'll say MacOS has no utility. All that horsepower in the M3 Max/M2 Ultra with nothing to show for it.

1. How many pro apps are actually optimized for 64GB+ RAM Apple Silicon
2. Mid file sistem
3. Insane GPU with less than 5 games to show off
4. Insane GPU w/RT, but game devs still prefer UE5 on Windows
5. 16-core Neural Engine w/ 18 TOPs

I can go all day.

Real PROs work with Windows

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I’m going to just quote Jason Snell: “Imagine how much more flexible it would be if it could run macOS, virtualized, when connected to an external keyboard and trackpad. Apple’s first convertible device would be able to becomes a Mac when it needed to—and exit that mode when it doesn’t. Travelers could invest in the iPad Pro and all its accessories—at a price comparable to a MacBook Air, by the way—and know that they’re getting the best of Apple’s tablet experience and its traditional computer experience.”

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I’m going to just quote Jason Snell: “Imagine how much more flexible it would be if it could run macOS, virtualized, when connected to an external keyboard and trackpad. Apple’s first convertible device would be able to becomes a Mac when it needed to—and exit that mode when it doesn’t. Travelers could invest in the iPad Pro and all its accessories—at a price comparable to a MacBook Air, by the way—and know that they’re getting the best of Apple’s tablet experience and its traditional computer experience.”
Please, stop. I can only get so erec.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.