iPad Pro The iPad Pro is just a bigger and meaner iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BSDanalyst, Sep 18, 2015.

1. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

People need to stop complaining that it's lacking OSX or USB ports or whatever.
    If you want those, you have the Macbooks.

That is why there are options and choices in the market.

Sure, the lines between a tablet and computer are slowly blurring, but we are not quite there yet.

The iPad Pro is great for graphics professionals who want to have a stylus option and for general content consumption.

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

agreed completely. it wont have every bit of existing tech incorporated into it, and it wont please all of the people, but it'll be BY FAR Apple's most advanced ipad to date, which i think people are forgetting. all this 'deal breaker' tosh makes me LOL. why the complaints? if you dont like it then dont buy it, but dont get in a state over it, it's only a lump of metal and glass :)

3. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

In similar form with the phones, people are now annoyed about no 64GB base model. This will carry on until we only have 128GB base model. And still, that will not be enough for some people. Personally I think the fact they made it 32 Gigs should be enough for most.

4. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

My only gripe with the Pro is the lack of 3D Touch, but that does not make it a bad product. Other than that it will be a brilliant device, more powerful than my Air 2 while still not quite my Retina MacBook. Which is after all the aim of the product, it is not under the "Mac" section. An iPad has always ran iOS so why some are so surprised it is not on OS X just makes no sense to me. Maybe; eventually, it shall run on it. But until then we shoudl enjoy the A9X-Powered, 4GB of RAM, Larger iPad with all of it's advanced features and take that as it comes. If you are not happy, don't buy it!

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

and, as an avid artist, i hope palm rejection comes of age :)

As a '1st gen' (i hate the term these days, as it isnt really meaning what it once meant) we might be a little light on the ground where Pro apps are concerned, but again, i think all devs will quickly utilise all the Pro software has to offer and provide us with superb polished Pro apps. No one will stand around waiting thats for sure.

6. Billy95Tech Suspended

What is 3D touch????

7. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Feature of the iPhone 6s in which the device can sense how hard you are pressing on the display. This is used for shortcuts and for peeking at email or links.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Ah, the old, "you're looking at it wrong" approach. Why do you care if people complain about it?

If Apple called this thing an iPad+ there would be far less criticism. Calling it "Pro" and developing a keyboard for it and highlighting it with MS Office it is clear that Apple wants people to believe that this device is more capable for professionals than the Air 2. Technically it is for specific use cases, but not nearly enough for the rest of us, hence the criticism.

9. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

L
    Force Touch, allegedly. A pressure sensitive screen with haptic feedback, I am less bothered about the haptic but having he feature on both my phone and tablet would be great.

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

It's an amazing device and when paired with the Apple Pencil I do feel it is revolutionary. I was in awe of the artwork that could be produced with it. When I no longer have so much of my free time claimed by school and other things, the IPad Pro on discount next year or generation 2 will be what gets me back into art again. I've worked in the past with colored pencils and wood burning tools, but the problem is those are not easy to work with with kids and pets around. I don't have private space to set up in and I'm constantly interrupted, which is why I retired to begin with.

iPad Pro is perfect. I will need to hide the pencil from the kids and cats, but that's about it. If I have to set a project aside I don't have to return half a dozen or more pencils to their case. I don't need a dedicated work room. I can save and backup my work at different stages of progress. Goodness, what's not to love? Okay, well I guess I'll find out when the reviews come out.

11. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

believing is strong here...

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

and which macbook has a touch screen and a stylus?

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

In context, my statement holds true. It will be perfect for my use case scenario provided it works and can let me produce art as was shown in the demos. I wouldn't presume to say it's perfect for everyone. But I'm very enthusiastic. I wish I could afford it this year.

14. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

15. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

Remember what people were saying when the original iPad came out? Just a bigger iPod.

16. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The problem is that those of us who feel that the Mac is still the right tool for the job and CAN'T do all of our work on the iPad feel like Apple is moving toward killing it. I really needed a new computer this year, and I needed something more versatile than an iPad. I got the rMBP 13" because it was a great mix of power and portability.

A month later Apple is on stage telling me that, in not so many words, everyone should just start doing their work in iOS. For the first time in a very long time, I'm disappointed in their treatment of people who don't want to solely use iOS for everything.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

In what way were those people wrong?

18. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Jobs went on stage saying that the iPad was the future of computing as well, but also saying things like:

And honestly, so long as Apple continues to agree with that assessment, that's the right approach, IMO. I use a Mac Pro for work, but I can't see myself buying one for the home anymore. I use my iMac and iPad for 99% of my computing needs outside of my job where the company pays those bills. If I was freelance, it would be different (Mac Pro + iPad instead, MBP + iPad when working with clients in the field).

This philosophy on the part of Apple is already 5 years old now, and even Jobs had only a fuzzy idea how long it would take to get there. And in many ways, for it to happen, Apple does need to pave road to make that future accessible. It has taken years to get where it is now, and they have many, many years of more work ahead of them.

19. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    The "meaner" is why I want it. I like the specs. The size will take some getting used to.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think they meant to say that at all. Eventually, tablet OS might get advanced enough to let people do "everything," but that day isn't here yet, and Apple is still developing OS X. They are still making and selling Mac computers. And I believe they will continue to do so until the functionality of iOS catches up to OS X. Or it might not, and they might continue to make both for a long time. But I don't think Apple plans to abandon people who need fuller functionality than what tablet computers offer today.

21. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

And what "treatment" is that? That they didn't have a "present" for everyone? It's not Christmas, when Mom and Dad have to be sure to treat every child equally. This was, if you will, the equivalent of a birthday party for iOS products. (Now, there was a time when my parents found it useful to give my younger brother a gift at my birthday parties....)

When the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were introduced, it was taken as proof positive (by some people) that there would be no more iPads. "iPhones with bigger screens means the death of iPad." Of course, Apple just released a whole new crop of iPads....

When, in any keynote or ad, did Apple say "Just start doing your work in iOS?" Selling the benefits of one new product is just that - selling the benefits of that product to those for whom the product is suitable. You don't need a pickup truck that carries a certain amount of cargo and an engine that delivers a certain amount of torque? Then ignore that TV commercial and go to the refrigerator for a snack. The existence of that ad is not proof that your favorite automaker getting rid of sedans.

The Mac is not doomed. Apple is selling more Macs than ever before. Mac is Apple's #2 line of business, in front of iPad, in front of Services (iTunes, App Store, Apple Pay, etc.). It's a growing line of business. The company is selling more Macs than ever before, more than four times as many as they were when the iPhone was introduced.

That rMPB 13" is still a great mix of power and portability. Nothing Apple announced this month diminishes those capabilities. I could understand being pissed off if Apple had introduced an iPad that runs OS X, but they didn't. They did not render your brand-new machine obsolete. Rejoice!

22. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Weird as this may sound: Thanks. I kind of needed that.

23. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

The real focus lies in what developers will come up with in utilizing the extra horsepower and screen real estate -- they haven't let us down yet.

24. Jakeycov macrumors member

Jakeycov

A MacBook Pro is a faster, bigger MacBook. An iPad pro is a bigger, faster iPad. A MacBook and a MacBook Pro basically do the same thing. Both can run the same apps etc but one is much faster. It's the same with the iPad pro. So I just don't understand why people are mocking the pro name. Pro has always basically meant faster and more expensive. The reason the iPhone 6 Plus isn't called the pro is because it's the same speed just bigger. If the iPad pro was to be called the iPad plus it would simply be bigger with nothing better. It's pro because it has extra capabilities etc.

25. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

This was already addressed above, but I thought I'd chime in.

In no way did I get the sense that Apple was saying you should now be doing all your work on iOS. What they were saying is "Look at all this work you can now get done on iOS!" And there's a big difference there. There are definitely people who have use cases where an iPad Pro could conceivably replace their laptop. And then there are people who looked at the Pro and said, "Meh, just a bigger iPad, it can't do everything I want it to."

That being said, it's possible that in the future, people could get away with a Pro for functions X and Y, and a lower priced laptop for function Z. If I'm doing 70% or more of my computing tasks on a tablet, then suddenly a Pro makes sense, and I might have less need for an uber powerful laptop because now my laptop only has to cover that remaining 30%. I think this is why Apple introduced the new Macbook line. I do wonder if they'll phase out the Macbook Air, but they'll keep the Macbook Pro line around for those who really need the computing power.