The iPad still owns

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Motionblurrr, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

A COOL STORY BROS

So, I went to Starbucks this morning to read up on some articles and just surf around the net, watch YouTube vids and check on my friends with Facebook, while drinking a delicious White Mocha latte to wake up a bit :) I sit down, open my Incase neoprene sleeve (siiiick case btw) and pull out that beautiful art of glass and aluminum. Home button + slide to unlock. Done.

2 hours pass and I'm at 95% battery life. :eek: I realize that so much time had passed so I jetted out of there for work. I ended up being late for work too. :D

I came to a realization: the iPad is an underrated device. I saw everyone around me scrambling to find an electrical outlet to plug their dying netbooks, laptop, etc and then awkwardly sitting forward to see the screen and or type. Most of these people werent really working they were just surfing the web just like I was :)

The iPad is the ULTIMATE chill device. There's nothing more awesome than leaning back in a chair, sofa, etc and just get lost in entertainment with this thing. It's a joy to use and the fact that the battery is a monster is icing on the already delicious cake.

<3 my iPad <3

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Exactly. This is what it was meant for. I 100% agree. Great post.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

For sure. Replaced a dying MB with it and have been very pleased. MB's battery would give me 3 or so hours. iPad seems to go on FOREVER. The other week I used it at 3 2 hour client meetings, every night to surf web while in bed, etc. Still has 70% or so battery. The battery life is ridiculous.

I brought it on a trip to Indiana to see relatives, played PvZ throughout all my flights, watched a few movies on it, let my cousins play PvZ for a few hours, and I still had charge left for a couple days when I got home!

4. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Nice story ;)

Seriously, the battery life is by far my favorite feature of the iPad. The fact that you can use a powerful mobile device for days and not having to constantly worry about plugging it in.. that's unprecedented in a history of personal computing. There is nothing else like it.

5. Maziar macrumors 6502

Yep,the battery life is indeed great.Its one of the best factors of the iPad.
    It does a perfect job for long time web-surfing.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

We used it on a European road trip this summer and when it wasn't keeping the kids quiet in the back seat we were catching up on emails, loading and viewing photos of the day, checking for hotel availability on our next stop, checking for restaurants in the immediate area, reading -- you name it. Best travel buddy ever.

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

When I got my first laptop, years ago, I imagined how great it would be to have a portable computer, to be able to have the web and e-mail on the go, and to watch movies, etc, wherever I wanted. Can't tell you how disappointed I was to discover how few places the web was available (back then, in particular) and how fast the battery died (especially since it was a while before ripping DVDs to the hard drive was possible -- the optical drive crushed the battery before you could get through a single movie). Plus, even though a laptop is compact, it does turn out to be a little cumbersome to use in cramped quarters (like on an airplane).

The iPad+3G has turned out to be what I always wanted: ultra-portable, web & e-mail available all the time, goes and goes on a single charge. Not only is it what I always wanted, but way more. I agree that it's a totally underrated device. Can't do everything my laptop can, but what it does do it does so well that I never cart my laptop around anymore.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

iPad is a great device. Its not a laptop replacement in all regards, but for many cases, it can act as a substitute. For papers and research, I prefer my MacBook Pro, but they can be done on the iPad. Just for relaxing and browsing on my bed, I'll take the iPad, although clearly the MacBook Pro would work there as well

9. foiden macrumors 6502a

The battery life is often why I tend to choose my iPad for content consumption over my laptop. In fact, if the battery reads 65% or over, I can almost guarantee if I take it out with me, I'll never need for an outlet. At least for the day. I'd have to really jam on a good while of gaming to use it up within a 24-hour period. Mainly because games are the things that draw the most power. Movies, audio, web surfing, general Wi-fi use, etc. All take a lot less.

The up-n-coming multitasking might take a small hit, but a small one, given how it's not full multitasking. But running an audio stream and a current visual operation, at the same time, may not take much more power than it takes to run a song from the iPod app and surfing a website at the same time.

10. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Posting this from my iPad :D

Honestly, it may not do everything a laptop does, but I can do my school work, upload it to my iDisk. Watch movies, play games, and be out and about all day. It's truly the ultimate portable device (for me).

Although, I may get the battery replaced after the new year, because while it still lasts longer than any laptop, it's definitely less than it was when I first bought it. If it doesn't loose any additional capacity for a while though, I won't sweat it.

11. Gmaster macrumors member

Another great factor is how it turns on instantly. So easy to quickly get to anything, especially email. :)

12. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Absolutely agree. Definitely the best way to just chill and surf the tubes. But Starbucks? Bleck.

13. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

Your absolutely right. Battery life in this thing is RIDICULOUS. This is the device that KEEPS on giving and giving energy. I'm loving charging it ONCE every 4 days; given I'm no easy user, thats:

MAGICAL.

(sorry... had to say it) :)

14. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

My girlfriend works there so I get free drinks ;)

15. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Well said.

16. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Haha, carry on, then.

17. Motionblurrr thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm reading this thread from my ipad right now! :D

And my battery just broke 85%......this thing freaking rules :cool:

I cant wait for multitasking to truly flex that a4 chip ;)

18. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That WAS a cool story bro.

But honestly, it's so refreshing to hear a positive remark about something Apple on here. Everything about Apple has just been negative this, negative that. This is an Apple site isn't it?

Anyway, I think you just described the "magical" part of the iPad. The part that has made me develop a special bond with my iPad that I haven't even developed with my iPhone.

Good job OP, we need to see more people like you.

19. Robster606 macrumors newbie

Robster606

When people tell me that my ipad is just an oversized iPod touch. I will tell them of this post. It's great ain't it.
    :apple: <3

20. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

It is amazing battery life. So nice to take places and know that you will be able to use it. Can't wait for the printing in 4.2 and should be interesting to see what we get with the 2md gen

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+4958903450983094809530948509834098

People just don't understand until they have one. I was even skeptical about it when I saw it introduced but I ordered one anyway and LOVE it! I use it daily. I'm about to take mine with me on a road trip to Georgia to my friends wedding. I'm sure while I'm driving my friend who will be with me will be bumming it the entire way to watch movies ;) Its about a 14 hour drive so hopefully my iPhone car charger will charge it :D

22. Mmarzex macrumors member

I couldn't agree more. I love my iPad it does everything I need on a spurr of the moment. I do a lot of web browsing on it and a lot of Writing. It is true though most people see the ipad and they see it as just an oversized ipod touchand in all honesty who can blame they do look the same. I mean just because something looks the same it must be the same right???:p

I do believe to enjoy and understand the iPad you need to have one though.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think it's great how Apple takes old concepts, cleans them up, and makes them popular.

Some of us have been using all-day web slates for almost a decade. Usually for enterprise and field usage, but sometimes for personal browsing as well.

For example, a favorite was the ViewSonic series of Windows CE based slates. Instant-on, excellent browser (not the wimpy WinMo one), available with all sorts of comms and options.

Here's one from 2004... the ViewSonic 100.

10" touchscreen, 2.5 lb magnesium body, Citrix, Java, etc. It was neat for its time, but unfortunately underpowered in the CPU department. Apple was smart to wait until all the technology fell into place.

[​IMG]

24. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPad still owns? It does because there is nothing else to compete. Please Kindles? Nooks?

They are no match.