The iPad trackpad thingy..

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Pagemakers, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Pagemakers, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Is it just me or is this feature another pointless addition.

I find it fiddly to use and frustrating trying to master. No way is it faster or easier then clicking, holding and selecting the text you want.

Or am I missing something?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like a lot of people wish it was there on the iPhones and like it being there on the iPads.

3. stooovie macrumors 6502a

I may be sloppy but it triggers way too often when I'm typing with two thumbs in landscape. For example, when I type "there" too fast, the two fingers on "t" and "h" trigger the trackpad mode.

4. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I find it's as accurate as throwing a dart at a dartboard wearing skiing gloves!

5. TeeRav19 macrumors member

TeeRav19

I've gotten pretty good at it. It is a little finicky sometimes but I think it'll be improved over time. There will be a point when tapping and holding to select a word will be obsolete.

6. cynics macrumors G3

I've actually gotten pretty good at it and I find it makes precious cursor placement MUCH easier. My problem with it is me....I remember the feature exist after I did it the old/normal way.

7. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I just don't get it.

Say I wanted to edit the first sentence of this post, I'd simply press in front of the "I", hold and drag. Done! With this new trackpad thingy I have to press I front of the "I", return to the keyboard. Press 2 fingers to activate the cursor and then to TRY and drag it where I want it without selecting something else.

It's a frustrating experience and is no way faster.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

What? The whole point of it is to move the cursor to where you want it more easily. Why are you "pressing in front of the I?" Not even really sure what that means

9. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

10. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Another thing I've just noticed. Say you want to copy some text from another post on this page. You can't because selecting the text does not invoke the keyboard so you can't use the trackpad feature.

It has to be done the old way.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps it's not as useful for you. It happens, not every feature is useful to everyone, for one reason or another--it doesn't really necessarily say anything about that feature or its overall usefulness, just that it isn't useful to someone.

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

Obviously, because it's a text-editing feature.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You bring up the trackpad by using two fingers, then you drag to where you want to select, hold there until the selector shows up, then drag to select. I don't remember how, or if you can drag stuff, but you can copy and delete it once selected, and then use the trackpad to go where you want to paste it in.

It's better suited for when you're working with multiple paragraphs.

14. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Actually I admit defeat. "I was using it wrong" ;)

I was having problems differentiating between moving, clicking, selecting and dragging.

Sorted now. Feeling happier!