The ipad will ship in late march.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by flyguy206, Mar 11, 2010.

1. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

The ipad will be up for per orders starting march 12. And they are only allowed to hold money for 14 days. Now 14 days from the 12 is march 26. now i am sure apple will take about 5 days for processing. that will take us to march 31. and then apple will give us 2 days shipping but not have it delivered by the 3rd of april.

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Just as I expected, they're waiting to do the MacBook Pro refresh until after the iPad pre-orders so no one blows the rest of their wad on a RAM upgrade for their new MBP instead of on an iPad :mad:

3. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    It's hard to follow you. But Apple won't charge your credit card until the iPad ships. They may verify the credit available ahead of time. But I wouldn't expect the charge to show up until 4/1 (give or take).

You can cancel your order anytime before it ships. So, I don't think MBP are related to iPad's pre-order/shipping schedule in any way at all.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Uhh. Ok? It launches on the 3rd, preorders tomorrow. They'll charge you when they ship, probably 4/2 for preorders with "free" overnight shipping (likely they've worked out something with FedEx so they'll be staged in a bunch of places around the US and just ground shipped from there to the customers on the 2nd, with delivery on the 3rd.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, really?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

GeekLawyer pretty much summed it up, but you can search back through the forums to see how Apple's handled the last few major pre-orders, like Snow Leopard and the iPhone 3GS.

6. flyguy206 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They will hold the money on the 12 and they are allowed to hold the money up to 14 days. The will charge you on the 26 when the start to shipping them and it going to take about 5 days to process your order. that will lead us up to march 31 and if apple gives us 2 day shipping most will get ipads the day before or on the third

7. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Your Statement makes absolute no sense at all.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

April 3rd Period.

8. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

No, no, I don't think you understand. They won't take your money at all until the iPad ships. So, they won't take your money until April. They will have the iPads stored/staged around the US for next-day shipping from FedEx on 4/2. Those who pre-order will get their iPad delivered on Saturday, April 3.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

The iPad isn't the first time they've done a pre-order, and they've *never* done what you're talking about. So why are you thinking they suddenly will now? They'll "take your money" the same day they ship it to you, which is likely to be either either 4/1 or 4/2. It will arrive on 4/3.

IIRC, they shipped one of the recent preorders so that the FedEx tracking made it look like pre-order people were getting it early. FedEx held on to the packages, delivering them on the day the product was supposed to launch.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

They might place a temporary hold on the amount in your account like flyguy is assuming, but it doesn't matter if the hold expires or not; they can just charge you for real right before it ships regardless of what happens to the hold.

11. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

I'm trying to remember what happened with my 3GS pre-order. Seems like there was a $1 temp-hold at the time of order that disappeared. The full amount wasn't charged until the Wednesday or Thursday before delivery on that Friday.

12. flyguy206 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They will hold the money that is not the same thing as charging you. why do you think they made pre orderd on march 12. 14 days from the 12 is the 26 and that is about 60 days since the keynote. They will charge you on the 26 because that is when they will shipp it out but with shipping you have to deal with processing and that can take up to 5 days. now the 31 is when the processing will be done and if apple gives us 2 day shipping it will arive 2 or 3rd.

13. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

No, I'm sorry, you're simply wrong.

They will not hold the full cost of the iPad on your card beginning tomorrow. Unless they completely change the way they've EVER done business in the past.

The iPad will NOT be delivered on 4/2. It will arrive on 4/3, as Apple has stated time and again.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

They've never done that in the past with any pre-order.

Why do you keeping saying they're going to suddenly start doing it with the iPad pre-order?

15. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

no matter how many times you state the same thing your still wrong. lol.

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

The ultimate fact of the matter is that it doesn't even matter when they ship it; if Apple wants it to arrive on April 3, that is when it will arrive. Whichever shipping company they use won't deliver the package until the specified date, even if that means its sitting in a building next door to your house for a week.

17. danlovaj macrumors regular

What admanimal said...

18. flyguy206 thread starter macrumors 6502a

we will see.

19. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Apple technically doesn't offer Saturday delivery. They have clearly said so in the past. I wonder how they will handle this. The iPhone 3GS and Snow Leopard were both released on a Friday so Saturday delivery didn't matter. I just hope that web pre-orders for delivery don't end up getting delivery on the following Monday (which would happen if Apple didn't use Fedex's saturday delivery service, and just sent it Priority Overnight on Friday April 2)

20. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

That's a concern, but I will trust Apple to deliver the iPad on 4/3 if they tell us that's what to expect. If, on the other hand, I get delivery notification that shows it won't come until Monday, I plan to head to my local Apple Retail Store and wait in line on 4/3. I'll simply return the iPad that's shipped to my house.

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

So wrong. On so many levels. They are also offering the 3G models for pre-order tomorrow. But those won't be shipping until several weeks later. No one charges you until they ship.

They most likely won't do anything with your CC on the 12th. They will charge your card the day it ships. If you card is rejected then, they don't send you one. They won't try it now to make sure and tell you there's a problem. You could end up paying your CC between now and ship date and clear out the balance to make room and you'd be fine.

So many people. So much misinformation.

22. mac jones macrumors 68040

It's a legitimate theory about the 14 days but they don't do it this way (I don't think).

They just put a hold on it for a few days as preliminary screening. When they go to ship then they charge you. If the money isn't there the iPad will go to the next person that had set his alarm for 5:30AM

23. flyguy206 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you serious do you think that they are going to risk people just placeing orders on the ipad with out no real proof that they are going to buy it. They will put a hold on your cc and charge you when they ship it. And if you don't like the hold don't per order.

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

What do you mean "no real proof that they are going to buy it?" You give them your CC number and info, which they verify. Whether or not they put a hold on any amount initially, they can and will charge the card before it ships, unless you cancel the order.

25. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

You continue to be wrong. If you give them a bogus number or don't have the available credit at the time of shipment, Apple will gladly go down the list to the next person with a valid credit card account. It's all automated. Steve Jobs isn't sitting in Cupertino saying, "Damn that GeekLawyer, can't believe he stiffed us!" :)