The iPhone 3G Repurposing Project

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ipedro, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Do you have an iPhone3G (or any old iPhone) that you've repurposed as another function other than a phone or hand-me-down when you upgraded?

Post your experience here.

2. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Some interesting repurposing ideas for your old iPhones:

- Shower entertainment device.
    Get a waterproof case like this one...
    [​IMG]
    ... velcro the back and a stick it to a tile under your shower. You can then use it as a remote for your home audio system or plug it directly into speakers in the shower. I already have speakers in the shower plugged in to an Airport Express so this would be an upgrade since I'd now be able to control the music too.

- Remote for your AppleTV.
    This sounds like a good idea, but I tried it and just ended up using my iPhone4 as a remote whenever I watch tv. Maybe if you have people in your household who don't have iPhones, this might be more valuable to you.

- Convert it to a sort of AirPlay device using SoundCloud
    Wirelessly stream music from your computer to your iPhone plugged into powered speakers

- Turn it into an AppleTV 2
    Based on the previous AirPlay device idea, I'd like to jailbreak my old iPhone and install iOS for AppleTV on it. I'm not sure this is possible but I think it would be since AppleTV is an iOS device. Of course this isn't supported but the Jailbreak community may have found a way to do this. Any advice on this?