The iPhone 4's battery is friggin' incredible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

I'm sorry, but coming from a 3GS (and a first gen before that), I'm baffled when any iPhone gets more than 5 hours usage time. My iPhone 4 just doubled that. Pictures below. Full disclosure: I lastly unplugged it from the wall last night just before midnight at which time I promptly put it into Airplane Mode w/ wifi (as I always do overnight, don't want idiots texting/calling me), put it on my nightstand, opened up Pandora, and set the 25 min "Sleep iPod" timer (which I just found out works with backgrounded non-iPod apps, YAY) then when I woke up 8 hours later I turned off airplane mode and have used all apps listed in my recently used panel shown below. Haven't plugged it into computer/wall since....

This battery is a monster.

Attached Files:

2. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Last two pictures of recently used panel.

Attached Files:

3. kaizer85 macrumors member

kaizer85

4. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Yeah I noticed that too, i have been on it all day and I am only at 78%...battery is amazing after a few charges.

5. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Mine's been great too, especially coming from my 3GS. I'm beginning to think that my 3GS has a battery issue. I gave it to my wife to replace her 3G, and she's getting way worse battery life than her 3G. She had the 3GS on standby for 8 hours and had under an hour of use and the battery percentage was at 54%. I guess I never noticed because I always keep it plugged in at work and in the car.

6. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

7. telarmago macrumors member

I'm losing 20% over a night of sleep. Not impressed whatsoever.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This shows me nothing. How much time did you use Safari? The other apps? That’s what makes the difference. If all you did was listen to the iPod, you could get much more usage. It all depends on what you use, and Safari is one of the greater battery users.

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

10. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

12. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The battery life is amazing.

13. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Look forward to it, esp if it at all resembles the ipad battery and esp coming from a 3G!

14. Gagoots macrumors regular

You really should read your e-mail more often.

15. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Very impressed with the battery life I'm getting. Posts a good amount longer than my 3GS.

16. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a very good question actually. What I think is imporant to take out of all this though is that, except for using my phone to record HD video as I did at least 5 times today, I'm using my phone EXACTLY as I have used my 3GS before. Using my 3GS like this in the past has, AT MAXIMUM (read:1 time) gotten me 6 hours of battery life. So, being that we are approximately mirroring the same conditions, it blows my mind that this phone gets 4 hours more with all that it does. Nonetheless, I'll try and answer your question.

Today, in non-sequential order, I've sent maybe 6 PING's (through PINGchat), made received 3 calls (2 short 5 min ones, one long ~40 min one), used the Apple Store app to look up MBP sleeves, checked periodically and responded to a couple emails, previewed many of the videos I've made, used Safari for maybe 15-20 min total between Gizmodo, engadget, macrumors, used Maps to find a store location and then used it to guide us to the store approx 5 min until I thought to use Navigon (which I then used for maybe 5 min, and wow is the i4 GPS lock awesome), used Grocery G to compile a grocery list and left the app open as I perused through the store and checked off various items within it, listened to my iPod ALOT today (alotta of classical music as I studied, JUST like I did on my 3GS), used the camera app EXTENSIVELY to record HD (LED light on) video of various cadaver musculature in our anatomy lab, used the weather channel twice to check local weather, made maybe 15 texts messages total, used the Netter's Anatomy app all through the day for maybe 4 hours to tag body parts, and finally checked out the app store once or twice for some searches.

Hope that answered it.

17. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, and I forgot to say, had two facetime chats with some MacRumors user in France (1 10 minute chat and another 4 minute chat....until the battery called it a day finally, lol).

18. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'm definitely getting significantly better battery life than with my 3GS.

19. mhx macrumors member

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, those two posts answered my question, but I don’t use mine like that, so IDK how the 4 will behave for my use. The important thing is it’s the same use as before for you, so it must be better going from 6 to 10 hours.

21. Cat1123 macrumors newbie

I haven't been getting 10 hours on wifi as apple claimed. anyone else?

22. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I unplugged mine at 8am today and have been on it pretty much all day surfing the net, playing games, downloading songs and apps, running speed tests all day, iPod for a short while, more surfing the net, texting for half the day, sending some emails and generally goofing around on it. I have 20% now. Im loving it. :cool:

Edit* forgot about 30 minutes of talk time.