Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Well guys, this was it. I think it's an understatement to say this event was a disappointment. I feel worse for the case manufacturers.
I know we had threads earlier about people complaining, so here's my turn.

Apple could have easily launched an iPhone 5, a completely redesigned iPhone 5. At least, they could've named the device an iPhone 5. I believe Apple screwed up in multiple ways. What could they have done to made this a big upgrade? Anything significant...anything.

1) Bigger screen, 3.5"? still? after all these years? How about at least a 3.8" Retina display?

2) Changed design. This is Apple showing how arrogant they are. The iPhone 4 had the worst publicity any iPhone has ever received. What could they have done for this iPhone upgrade? How about liquid metal or another back? Hell, anything but glass. How about rounded out the corners a little bit, to make it more easier on the hand? Either one of those would made this a bigger upgrade.

3) Name. Seriously? Apple just screwed up the naming scheme once again.

I want to emphasize, that this upgrade went against any obvious/rational thinking. Hence, it was a disappointment.

Everything was lined up for a perfect iPhone 5 upgrade, heck even the technology is there to make a redesigned iPhone 5..

A5 processor, iOS 5, 5th generation iPhone. So now is this what we have to expect?

original iPhone = iPhone 1
iPhone 3G = iPhone 2
iPhone 3GS = iPhone 3
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4
iPhone 4S = iPhone 5..... iOS 5
iPhone 5 = iPhone 6?..... iOS 6
iPhone 5S = iPhone 7?.... iOS 7
iPhone 6 = iPhone 8? .... iOS 8
iPhone 6S = iPhone 9?.... iOS 9
iPhone 7 = iPhone 10? .... iOS 10

Or Apple will just skip "5" and name the next one a 6.

Clearly the market didn't like the iPhone 4S. Obviously not, the name "4S" means that it's not a big upgrade. But why did Apple do this? Lack of competition.

Therefore, I want the iPhone 4S to fail, big time. So maybe then Apple will go back to innovating once again. As for me, i'll be upgrading to the iPhone 4S because this iPhone 3G is too old, and i'll sell the iPhone 4S before the 6th gen.

My guess, the teardrop design will be the 6th generation iPhone which will also have LTE.

Added:
To be very honest, if i had an iPhone 4 I wouldn't have upgraded.

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
They can do whatever they want because people like you will still buy one, no matter how much you complain.

IIRC, OP has mentioned in other posts that he's still on an aging iPhone 3G... I would upgrade to the 4S too in his shoes. The iPhone 3G is barely usable IMO

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
So you will buy something you don't like? How does this make any ANY sense?
I don't like the color of this car, the engine is not as fast, and not enough trunk space. But it's got a nice shinny apple logo. So why not... :confused:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
So you will buy something you don't like? How does this make any ANY sence?
I don't like the color of this car, the engine is not as fast, and not enough trunk space. But it's got a nice shinny apple logo. So why not... :confused:

Just because you're not 100% happy with something doesn't mean it doesn't suit your needs otherwise. I for example really wanted to buy my car in blue, but it was rather difficult to find, so I bought a black one instead. I'm mostly happy with the car, butwould've preferred a blue one if it were available at the time

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
I thought about it. And while I'd love the 'latest and greatest', I'll throw iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 and see how that goes. If I love it, I'll keep it. If not, I might go find a cheap Xperia Play on Craigslist or eBay and dink around with that till the 4G / 5 / 6 whatever it's called comes out.

Or heck, even 6-8 month old top of the line HTCs/Samsungs you can get for cheap these days.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
You can bitch and moan all you want, but when it comes down to it, all that matters is who you open your wallet to. That's your one and only vote. And if you open your wallet to Apple for a device you aren't even happy with, that will just perpetuate their arrogance and allow them to not worry about giving us an actual upgrade.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Well guys, this was it. I think it's an understatement to say this event was a disappointment. I feel worse for the case manufacturers.
I know we had threads earlier about people complaining, so here's my turn.

Apple could have easily launched an iPhone 5, a completely redesigned iPhone 5. At least, they could've named the device an iPhone 5. I believe Apple screwed up in multiple ways. What could they have done to made this a big upgrade? Anything significant...anything.

1) Bigger screen, 3.5"? still? after all these years? How about at least a 3.8" Retina display?

2) Changed design. This is Apple showing how arrogant they are. The iPhone 4 had the worst publicity any iPhone has ever received. What could they have done for this iPhone upgrade? How about liquid metal or another back? Hell, anything but glass. How about rounded out the corners a little bit, to make it more easier on the hand? Either one of those would made this a bigger upgrade.

3) Name. Seriously? Apple just screwed up the naming scheme once again.

I want to emphasize, that this upgrade went against any obvious/rational thinking. Hence, it was a disappointment.

Everything was lined up for a perfect iPhone 5 upgrade, heck even the technology is there to make a redesigned iPhone 5..

A5 processor, iOS 5, 5th generation iPhone. So now is this what we have to expect?

original iPhone = iPhone 1
iPhone 3G = iPhone 2
iPhone 3GS = iPhone 3
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4
iPhone 4S = iPhone 5..... iOS 5
iPhone 5 = iPhone 6?..... iOS 6
iPhone 5S = iPhone 7?.... iOS 7
iPhone 6 = iPhone 8? .... iOS 8
iPhone 6S = iPhone 9?.... iOS 9
iPhone 7 = iPhone 10? .... iOS 10

Or Apple will just skip "5" and name the next one a 6.

Clearly the market didn't like the iPhone 4S. Obviously not, the name "4S" means that it's not a big upgrade. But why did Apple do this? Lack of competition.

Therefore, I want the iPhone 4S to fail, big time. So maybe then Apple will go back to innovating once again. As for me, i'll be upgrading to the iPhone 4S because this iPhone 3G is too old, and i'll sell the iPhone 4S before the 6th gen.

My guess, the teardrop design will be the 6th generation iPhone which will also have LTE.

Added:
To be very honest, if i had an iPhone 4 I wouldn't have upgraded.

iPhone 4 had negative publicity, but cmon do you realize how many Apple has sold?

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
iPhone 4 had negative publicity, but cmon do you realize how many Apple has sold?

Yes, and that's because it's an iPhone.

But i don't believe the iPhone 4S will sell that well. At least, i really hope it doesn't. I know it won't meet the expected stunning sales.

honeytoast

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2004
bay area, CA
I don't get the hate for the iPhone 4S. If you put those guts into a different shape would you would be happier? I think the design is still incredibly beautiful, and I will be buying one. Siri alone sold me on it.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
I got the ip4 when it came out, was very happy with it, even though I had 3 of them go bad on me. Broken home button, broken dock, cracked screen (which was my fault.) Bad hardware aside I loved the speed, and the sharp screen. I had my launch iPhone, the 2007 model for 3 years and was ready to update when the 4 came out.
After 18 months I was pretty sure this 4s upgrade was coming. Yea the physical phone isn't mindblowing, but the delay probably had more to do with iOS 5.
Would have been nice to see a crazy iphone 5 update, but since I'm in a 2 year contract like most AT&T iPhone 4 users, the 4 would have been fine for me until 2012 when my contract was up. Then in late July I left my 4 in a bar, and was forced to go back to my original 2007 iPhone.
Now I have to get this update, mostly because my original iPhone is on it's last legs. Won't get a 4s until Nov 25th when I'm eligible for a full subsidy upgrade. Then by the time my contract is up again and a new phone comes out, I guess my next iPhone will be the 6. (4s-5-5s-6) if the tic tok thing continues.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I don't get the hate for the iPhone 4S. If you put those guts into a different shape would you would be happier? I think the design is still incredibly beautiful, and I will be buying one. Siri alone sold me on it.

Different shape and bigger screen? Yup. Sorry, but shape and ergonomics are a huge deal to me when it comes to handheld device. A glass brick doesn't do it for me. Combine that with a small screen and it's a losing proposition.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Different shape and bigger screen? Yup. Sorry, but shape and ergonomics are a huge deal to me when it comes to handheld device. A glass brick doesn't do it for me. Combine that with a small screen and it's a losing proposition.

I guess Android it is, for you? GS2?

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
apple_zombies.jpg

;)

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
See, if I were already on one of the supported carriers, I would probably buy it, by virtue that it was going to be my first iPhone ever (not "upgrading" from an old one). But I'm on T-Mobile, and there is NO WAY IN HELL that I'm going to pay the unsubsidized price just to get the 4S. =\

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
"The iPhone 4S is a disappointment..but i'll still get it"

It's this type of attitude that makes me smile from ear to ear.

Customers who will buy anything, settling for whatever shiny toy Apple produces. They don't care, many don't even know any better.

I get a thrill out of it because it drives my Apple stock through the roof. Getting in at just about $20 per share, and thinking "oh what the heck, I'll buy a load of it and see what happens".

Then as the years clicked off, I continued to buy more and more until my eyes got really wide, as I witnessed the stock climb beyond comprehension.

So, while I'm very nonplussed about today's flaccid event, and I will most certainly not be buying a 4S, I can sit back and laugh with all the other long term shareholders that have become very wealthy off the investment.

Thanks Apple :)

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis

I really think you hit the nail on th coffin. Everyone and their mom new Apple would put the A5 in it, upgrade the camera, and even the voice recognition. I think the reason ppl are upset is because they used the same design. Now yes they could have changed the design a little. Maybe took off the glass back but in actuality the 4 design is remarkable.

I just think everyone wants a new design and since we didnt get it everyone is mad. I mean this has happened in the past with the 3GS an yes honestly I was a little underwhelmed with the phone just like wit the 3GS but it's still a good phone and for those who have 3GS's or no iPhone at all this is a great upgrade. Now if you have a 4 like me I'm not doing it. I'm more excited for iOS than the phone and next yr I'll get that one.

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
For those who complain about The screen relistate just let it go and get a android if it's that big of an issue. Apple has had the same exact screen for 4 phone generations and today marks the 5th. Dont think just because some android phones have large screens apple will follow suit. A phone is meant to be a phone and not a mini tablet.

What's the point from going to big phones to small phones such as the iPhone and then increasing the screen to get back big. That's just my opinion.

If you've stuck with a iPhone this long deal with it. It's still a great phone and has a nice screen. If don't like the screen stop complaining and move on then.

----------

How about this?

iPhone 4s is not a disappointment and I plan to upgrade. Mainly for Siri, and also for the improved camera.

That's better. Lol. Siri seems pretty nice tho.

mountains

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
For those who complain about The screen relistate just let it go and get a android if it's that big of an issue. Apple has had the same exact screen for 4 phone generations and today marks the 5th. Dont think just because some android phones have large screens apple will follow suit. A phone is meant to be a phone and not a mini tablet.

What's the point from going to big phones to small phones such as the iPhone and then increasing the screen to get back big. That's just my opinion.

If you've stuck with a iPhone this long deal with it. It's still a great phone and has a nice screen. If don't like the screen stop complaining and move on then.

----------

That's better. Lol. Siri seems pretty nice tho.
Apple could at least price their (less expensive to manufacture) devices at a lower price in recognition that there are Android phones with a larger screen and bigger muscles. But it's probably true that Apple doesn't need to innovate or lower prices to drive sales, given their grip on the market.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I guess Android it is, for you? GS2?

Waiting to see what Google and Samsung have to say next Tuesday before deciding.

I got the 3G for $50 when the 3GS came out, came from a BB Storm that I shattered. The SG2 is already close to 6 months old. I'm not really one to have to have the latest and greatest...but considering my last "upgrade" wasn't much of an upgrade, and I've waited this long already....I'd really like to get a really nice device this time around. Waiting a few weeks to get an HD screen, faster processor and vanilla Android makes sense to me. I will also check out the 4s in person before buying something as well.

For those saying some of us are complaining about screen real estate....it's not just that for me. I've said it over and over, I really do not like the glass brick that is the iP4 and now 4s. I would have been all over this no questions with a new body even without a larger screen. Just a preference, nothing right or wrong about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.