Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Wrong. The difference between 440+ppi and 330+ ppi is definitely noticeable. You will notice the difference the most when viewing websites in desktop mode. If you think this is just marketing then you are BSing yourself.

Second the iphone 5 display is not 720p and that makes a huge difference when watching videos. It can not run hd movies at native resolution and so it has to downscale the resolution to match the one on the iphone. Or it will add black bars around the movie. Anyway it decreases the quality of the movie.

But this really getting ridiculous. You guys are so defensive when it comes to apple products. Just relax guys! its not the end of the world

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
It annoys me how many apps aren't optimized to fit the iPhone 5 screen, it makes everything seem even lower resolution. You might not like Android but you never saw anything like this.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Wrong. The difference between 440+ppi and 330+ ppi is definitely noticeable. You will notice the difference the most when viewing websites in desktop mode. If you think this is just marketing then you are BSing yourself.

Second the iphone 5 display is not 720p and that makes a huge difference when watching videos. It can not run hd movies at native resolution and so it has to downscale the resolution to match the one on the iphone. Or it will add black bars around the movie. Anyway it decreases the quality of the movie.

But this really getting ridiculous. You guys are so defensive when it comes to apple products. Just relax guys! its not the end of the world
You don't have any idea what you're talking about do you...

Black bars are related to aspect ratio, black bars have nothing to do with PPI or 720P vs 1136x640

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
It doesn't matter.

1) The iP5's aspect ratio is correct.

2) You can't see the pixels anyways.

1080p has three purposes on a smartphone.

1) Marketing

2) Bog down the GPU with unnecessary pixels.

3) Waste battery

Last edited:

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
You don't have any idea what you're talking about do you...

Black bars are related to aspect ratio, black bars have nothing to do with PPI or 720P vs 1136x640

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Then why do I see black bars when I watch youtube vids on the iphone 5 and not on the nexus 4?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The pixels per inch of a device only tells you how sharp the text, ease of reading and enjoying. Because the iPhone is 1136x640, the 640 is halfway to HD. When you go to youtube and you have the option of either 320p, 480p, 720,1080p. 640 is half way there to HD 720. The new Galaxy devices run at 1280x720. That means that the devices screen is HD on top of the PPI.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It's just like how Apple calls their cameras Eye Sight but there is no eyes in the camera.

And it really disappoints me because I thought retina was enought to was 4K (more HD than an HDTV) but it can't, let alone play 720.

:(

Are you ****ing kidding me? No eyes in the camera?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Then why do I see black bars when I watch youtube vids on the iphone 5 and not on the nexus 4?

They have two different aspect ratios. iPhone 5 is 16:9 while the Nexus 4 is 15:9. So you should see less bars on the nexus, but it probably zooms in and cuts off the sides of videos. Most cameras today are 16:9. It makes no difference if its 720p or not.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Well its not technically "HD" resolution but the screen quality and PPI is higher then all these 720p screens on android devices so the sharpness and quality is just as good as HD because the retina display has such a high PPI

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Depends on the video, i can get full screen HD youtube videos running on my i5 just fine. Like someone said earlier, Nexus has a slightly different screen ratio so some videos might come out a little differently in some youtube videos but like i said i can get borderless HD video on my i5 just fine.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012

Looks like you are the one getting defensive. Anyway there is not that much difference in the clearness once you get into the 300s for PPI. What really starts to matter at this level is other aspects such as contrast ratio and other factors.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
And it really disappoints me because I thought retina was enought to was 4K (more HD than an HDTV) but it can't, let alone play 720.

:(

Again, you're completely missing the point. 4K was intended for theater movie screens, even LARGER than most TVs. Bigger screens mean the pixels are more spread out.

On a 4" screen, the pixels are packed tighter together. Held in your hands, you aren't going to notice the difference between the current resolution, 720p, 1080p, 4K or even 8K. Your eyesight isn't good enough.

You guys are so defensive when it comes to apple products. Just relax guys! its not the end of the world

Actually, looking at your posts, I find it funny that Fandroids waste so much effort yelling to anyone who'll listen about how basic physics is pretty much wrong, AND that because their phone have more pixels, on that basis alone their phone is better. Who cares? You enjoy your hunk of metal and glass, and be smug about how superior it is to yourself. I'll keep using my hunk of metal and glass, made by a different manufacturer.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
HD = High Definition. It's a term to describe high quality video. You often see it quoted as 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. But the term is SUBJECTIVE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

Many "Fandroids" claim that the iPhone is not HD because it doesn't have 720 pixels in resolution. The "not HD" claim is NOT TRUE.

Remember, Apple uses the "Retina Display" marketing term, which really describes ppi, or pixels per inch. The iPhone has 326ppi. The reason they use the word retina is because your retina in your eye can't discern the pixels when holding the phone away from your face. This is critical, because it means that Apple DOESN'T NEED to go to 720p to get an HD quality image.... you already have an HD screen as much as it's ever going to be. Your eyes can't see any more than that.

The only way to get the 720p that is discernible that Fandroids talk about is by making the screen even bigger, beyond the 4''. But they are just quibbling about pixels... not actually what HD actually means.

Remember, 720p and 1080p are terms used to describe TV viewing from long distances... that is why they were made up. The farther away you sit from a TV, the less resolution you need on your TV. That is why new 4K TV's need to be at least 75'' for consumers to notice a different... any smaller and you wouldn't even be able to see the 4K resolution!

The term HD is really irrelevant when it comes to modern mobile devices, because most new phones have a high enough ppi. If anyone tells you otherwise from what I just said, they are uneducated.

Ethan

It is technically true...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It is technically true...

Given the term "HD" has been used since the 1930s to describe just about every advance in display technology, I think it is safe to say the criticism of the iP5 as "not HD" is utterly ridiculous.

There isn't even a set definition for HD.....even so you're talking about applying a standard for televisions generally greater than 18" in size to mobile devices (which are much newer) less than 6"!

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Given the term "HD" has been used since the 1930s to describe just about every advance in display technology, I think it is safe to say the criticism of the iP5 as "not HD" is utterly ridiculous.

There isn't even a set definition for HD.....even so you're talking about applying a standard for televisions generally greater than 18" in size to mobile devices (which are much newer) less than 6"!

It's not me applying it, it's the accepted thing. "technically" the iP5 does not have a HD screen the post i was replying too was refuting that and i was correcting him, but seeing the difference with the naked eye is almost impossible as said and makes no actual difference appart from bragging rights in commercials.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
High definition used to mean 720 or 1080 pixels in the Y vertical axis, regardless of physical screen area. But with the introduction of high pixel density displays starting with iPhone 4, the old definition is outdated. Aspect ratio was irrelevant before and irrelevant now.

A 42" 1080P HDTV and 3.5" iPhone 4 viewed at their respective optimal viewing distances are equal in terms of perceived picture clarity. If we remove the optimal viewing distance factor (which equalizes the comparison) and look at both displays at the same viewing distance, the iPhone 4 will show a clearer picture regardless of the media source. This holds true when compared against 4K and 8K HDTVs more or less. But by the old definition, the HDTV is considered "HD" but iPhone 4 is not.

When Apple introduced the "retina display", they effectively introduced a paradigm shift in how we think of and define display clarity. Because we regularly look at displays of varying sizes (HDTVs, laptops, desktops, smartphones, tablets, etc.) defining high definition solely based on vertical pixel count is pretty ignorant and stupid. High definition should factor display pixel density with regard to the respective optimal viewing distance of said display.

A new, better and more logical definition of "high definition" should mean that at the respective optimal viewing distance of the display size, a 20/20 human eye can't distinguish individual pixels. If you can't discern individual pixels, the image is "high" definition right?

So between HDTVs and mobile devices (smartphones and tablets), HDTVs do not need as high pixel density as mobile devices because the optimal viewing distance for HDTV is not a close as mobile devices.

In conclusion, those new Android smartphones that have higher pixel densities than iPhone 4 and later are simply overkill and pointless. Why? Because unless your eyesight is better than 20/20, you look through a microscope or you're ignorant, you can not and will not notice a difference in picture clarity between it and iPhone 4/4S/5. 326ppi in a smartphone display is the point of diminishing returns. Higher pixel densities don't offer ANY benefit to the end user while drawing tremendously disproportional electricity and silicon to power these displays.

In layman's terms, HD doesn't matter anymore because on iPhone 4/4S/5, the display is physically so clear you can't see the physical individual pixels with perfect 20/20 vision. Anything past 326ppi (iPhone 4/4S/5's pixels per square inch of the screen) in a smartphone screen does not make the picture any clearer to your eyes. All it does is dramatically decrease battery life.

Last edited:

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I don't agree with the "it's as good as it gets" sentiment. I mean the retina display is supposed to be viewed from at least 12 inches, At that distance, it really doesn't matter how "clear" the screen is because it's too far away to make out.

That's why I always have viewed my iPhone from about 7 inches, you can see the pixels then, and it's just not that clear.

You're talking about trying to conserve the current battery life but everyone knows that we should be farther along in technology as far as batteries are concerned.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't agree with the "it's as good as it gets" sentiment. I mean the retina display is supposed to be viewed from at least 12 inches, At that distance, it really doesn't matter how "clear" the screen is because it's too far away to make out.

That's why I always have viewed my iPhone from about 7 inches, you can see the pixels then, and it's just not that clear.

You're talking about trying to conserve the current battery life but everyone knows that we should be farther along in technology as far as batteries are concerned.

You seriously must have awesome eye sight. I can't see pixels until I put my phone about 2 to 3 inches away from my face.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
High definition used to mean 720 or 1080 pixels in the Y vertical axis, regardless of physical screen area. But with the introduction of high pixel density displays starting with iPhone 4, the old definition is outdated. Aspect ratio was irrelevant before and irrelevant now.

A 42" 1080P HDTV and 3.5" iPhone 4 viewed at their respective optimal viewing distances are equal in terms of perceived picture clarity. If we remove the optimal viewing distance factor (which equalizes the comparison) and look at both displays at the same viewing distance, the iPhone 4 will show a clearer picture regardless of the media source. This holds true when compared against 4K and 8K HDTVs more or less. But by the old definition, the HDTV is considered "HD" but iPhone 4 is not.

When Apple introduced the "retina display", they effectively introduced a paradigm shift in how we think of and define display clarity. Because we regularly look at displays of varying sizes (HDTVs, laptops, desktops, smartphones, tablets, etc.) defining high definition solely based on vertical pixel count is pretty ignorant and stupid. High definition should factor display pixel density with regard to the respective optimal viewing distance of said display.

A new, better and more logical definition of "high definition" should mean that at the respective optimal viewing distance of the display size, a 20/20 human eye can't distinguish individual pixels. If you can't discern individual pixels, the image is "high" definition right?

So between HDTVs and mobile devices (smartphones and tablets), HDTVs do not need as high pixel density as mobile devices because the optimal viewing distance for HDTV is not a close as mobile devices.

In conclusion, those new Android smartphones that have higher pixel densities than iPhone 4 and later are simply overkill and pointless. Why? Because unless your eyesight is better than 20/20, you look through a microscope or you're ignorant, you can not and will not notice a difference in picture clarity between it and iPhone 4/4S/5. 326ppi in a smartphone display is the point of diminishing returns. Higher pixel densities don't offer ANY benefit to the end user while drawing tremendously disproportional electricity and silicon to power these displays.

In layman's terms, HD doesn't matter anymore because on iPhone 4/4S/5, the display is physically so clear you can't see the physical individual pixels with perfect 20/20 vision. Anything past 326ppi (iPhone 4/4S/5's pixels per square inch of the screen) in a smartphone screen does not make the picture any clearer to your eyes. All it does is dramatically decrease battery life.

I think you do notice differences above 326ppi on smartphones but it won't be a large difference.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It doesn't matter.

1) The iP5's aspect ratio is correct.

2) You can't see the pixels anyways.

1080p has three purposes on a smartphone.

1) Marketing

2) Bog down the GPU with unnecessary pixels.

3) Waste battery

I would agree with this. We don't need something more than 1136 by 640 unless Apple is moving to a bigger screen. 1080p is overkill by miles on a 4" iPhone 5.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Retina is just a marketing term used by Apple.

Current iPhone 5 screen resolution is just under 720p with a ppi of 326.

326 is good but not the best as many phones are coming out with 1080p HD screen with ppi's as high as 400+

Retina is marketing.
HD is marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.