The iPhone 6 is useless in the current line-up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Merkie, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Merkie macrumors 68020

Let's face it, the 5S and 6 are almost the same phone. The only differences worth mentioning are:
    - Larger screen
    - Slightly faster CPU/GPU (5S is already fast)
    - NFC

At the current price point, I see absolutely no reason to buy the 6. For $100 more, you'll get a whole lot more for your money. For $100 less, you'll basicly get the same phone, although it is smaller and you'll miss the NFC (Apple Pay is currently irrelevant for people who not live in the US or UK).

So unless you're mainly focused on either NFC or a larger screen, I see absolutely no reason to buy the 6 at the current price point. I can think of a lot of reasons for recommending either a 5S or a 6S, but not so much for the 6.

What do you think?

2. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

That's how annual upgrades work, they're not that different from the previous generation. By the same logic, why would you buy an iPhone 6 when it came out, if you have a 5S.

3. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

True, but now the 6S has replaced the 6 at the same price point, so there's even less reason to recommend the 6. Also, for people wanting the "latest and greatest" last year the 6 was a good choice. Now, not anymore.

4. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

But you're implying that iPhone 6 is smaller change from the 5S than 6S from the 6. Most people feel the other way around.

5. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

It's always wise to stay on the S cycle, in all honesty. The S models are usually what the numbered models should be in terms of specs and longevity.

6. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I also like the S cycle better, but again, there are lot of people who prefer the number cycle.

7. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

iPhone 6 is cheaper so those who can't stretch to the 6s will buy the 6. Not rocket science.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

iphone 6 is still one of the best phones out there...and cheaper now. so still a great option.

10. kidarkade macrumors newbie

kidarkade

What is the point of this post? I feel like there are so many people trying to justify to themselves with reasons not to upgrade and attempting to disguise it as some conversation starter.

11. Lyn2012 macrumors regular

I've just sold my 6 and am using a 5S. IMO there is no comparison, the 6 feels much nicer in my hand, easier to type on, more responsive, better speaker and far easier to read forums on because of the larger screen. I only sold my 6 to fund my 6S Plus.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

The 6 feels far better in the hand than any other iPhone, including the 5s. I also find the tiny, cramped screen of the 5s difficult to type on after using a 6 and 6 Plus.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But apple did the same thing the 5 and 5s, and before that. I'm not disagreeing with your point but I think some people are content with buying last year's model for less money

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The iPhone 6 is still a great choice for many. The 5S if you prefer the smaller screen format. Glad Apple kept both.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Love these threads ... have you considered putting a case on the 6?

It might change your opinion of the 6

16. barondebxl, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015

barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

Agreed. There's absolutely no point for the OP's post. I think the iPhone 6 is still worth it. Ppl are selling brand new iPhone 6 on swappa for around $550 (128GB by the way). To me that is totally worth it over the 5S which has terrible battery life.

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes that's a good point too. People tend to overlook that the 6 has significantly better battery life than the 5s.

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You talk about these like they aren't big deals. The screen, spec bump, NFC, and vastly improved cameras were a huge improvement for many people, myself included.

Don't be so dogmatic and egocentric

19. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

people say that, but how often do you change your phone? 5 years? no. 2 years. so why is longevity an issue
    also, how is the iphone 5S on iOS 9 right now? is it still blazing fast? Not really...it's just about how fast the iPhone 5 was on iOS 8.

20. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I agree this point. But I would put it another way. I think the prices of the all older gens iPhones (6/6+, 5S) are set too high and too close to the prices of the current gens.

The 6/6+ should be at least $200 lower than the S models.

21. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

I'd have to disagree. I'm currently using a 4s, which is still working just fine. I've toyed with the notion of upgrading, but of the current line-up, the 6 is the only one I'm considering.

The 5s is not a significant enough upgrade from my current 4s for me to be worth the money. On the other hand, I'm not particularly excited by either Force Touch or the new photo/video hybrid thingy. If I were to take the plunge on a larger phone, I'd probably go with the 6 over the 6s, just because there's nothing the 6s offers that seems worth the extra $100 to me.

22. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I want ALL the cycles!!!

That's why my bank account glares resentfully at me.